Claire Buffie | New York | News | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Thomas Roberts Talks with Miss New York Claire Buffie, About Her Gay Rights Platform

Claire_buffie

On MSNBC this afternoon, Thomas Roberts spent a few minutes talking with Miss New York, who is the first Miss America contestant in the pageant's history to run on a gay rights platform.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. what's her talent? besides being awesome...

Posted by: deegeezee | Jul 30, 2010 7:28:15 PM

2. sweet girl. genuine and clearly very bright (unlike that other dumb blonde).

Posted by: meaculpa | Jul 30, 2010 7:43:24 PM

3. Let's not forget Kate Shindle, 1998 Miss America whose platform was HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention and she was VERY pro-gay in all of her appearances and positions, much to the chagrin of many in the pageant world at the time.

Posted by: notshychirev | Jul 30, 2010 8:06:29 PM

4. Not to downplay the bravery and impact of Kate Shindle (or, for that matter, the current Miss America, Caressa Cameron, whose platform is also AIDS education [http://www.poz.com/articles/miss_america_hiv_2462_18188.shtml]), but as AIDS activists themselves have said for years, AIDS is not (just) a gay issue. I am no expert, but I have never heard of another Miss America contestant who made gay rights, specifically, her platform in the way that Buffie has. I would also say that her pioneering would matter a little more if the Miss America pageant itself wasn't so incredibly irrelevant today--I mean, last year's was held in a Hard Rock Cafe, for pete's sake.

Posted by: Thomasina | Jul 30, 2010 8:34:21 PM

5. Wow, for the first time in my life I might actually give a flying sh*t about the outcome of a beauty pageant!

Go CLAIRE!

Even if I don't think she was the prettiest person on the set. Thomas Roberts is just toooo purdy!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jul 30, 2010 8:47:35 PM

6. I had no idea Thomas Roberts was still working. I thought he retired to Florida local news after those photos surfaced of him cruising for cock. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 30, 2010 8:55:00 PM

7. Very articulate. She'll do great work, I'm sure.

Posted by: TonsofT | Jul 30, 2010 9:00:16 PM

8. Thomas Roberts is great. Good for MSNBC for giving him a shot!

Posted by: chriss | Jul 30, 2010 10:44:43 PM

9. She is SMART and ARTICULATE !!!
    But can a Gay hairsylist ,please give her a makeover with Hair and Makeup so that she can definitely take the Miss America crown in January.

Posted by: Kyle | Jul 31, 2010 6:37:34 AM

10. There's some irony that MSNBC had "gay couples" in the caption, even as she was talking about childhood bullying about sexual identity leading to suicide.

Posted by: David | Jul 31, 2010 7:41:58 AM

11. @ KYLE: NOoooooooo! I've seen what "Gay stylist" ken Paves has done to Britney and Jessica with their ratty weaves of blonde hair.

What I love about this girl's look is that she has a current, modern hairdo, she is a beautiful girl who looks like your BFF, not some plasticized orange-skinned Barbie clone (although, California and Vegas, DO like their Barbie clones sad to say).

What I love even more is her message! GO CLAIRE.

And what i also love is that Roberts is the ONLY anchor I have seen who does not package it as "Gay Rights" (this far-right-wing meme that we are asking for special rights) -- he called it "EQUALITY for gay and lesbian people"

Bravo!

Posted by: Strepsi | Jul 31, 2010 10:48:22 AM

12. @DEEGEEZEE

"Contemporary lyrical dance."

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 31, 2010 1:34:31 PM

13. @Thomasina, I'll take your point (that the pageant isn't as relevant today as it once was) but I'm pretty sure it was held at the Hard Rock Resort and Casino complex in Las Vegas, not a Hard Rock Cafe, lol. The Hard Rock Resort hosts full concerts and shows like all the other major strip/just-off-strip complexes, and is apparently very, very broadcast/recording/video friendly in terms of design, support for crews/equipment, etc. Several recent awards shows have been held there as well.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 31, 2010 1:37:37 PM

14. I think she might want to further clarify her position by stating that she thinks Thomas Roberts should be marrying ME. (sigh)

Posted by: michael | Jul 31, 2010 3:13:55 PM

15. Thomas Roberts is back after the whole Manhunt ad/firing from the "The Insider" TV show debacle!

He placed headless cock and ass shots on a Manhunt profile and got publicly busted by one of his tricks.

He FORGOT to mention it to his live-in long time partner, who was the last to know he was such a manwhore. Then he got fired from his job and went under the RADAR. PATHETIC!

Posted by: Paulie | Jul 31, 2010 3:51:48 PM

16. I just had a peek at those "headless" shots, and if those pics are of him, baby, Thomas can do whatever he wants honey, WOOF..!

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Aug 1, 2010 3:01:39 PM

17. I'm rooting for Claire in January. Also, Thomas Roberts is a total babe!

Posted by: daws | Aug 1, 2010 5:38:04 PM

18. For every Carrie the world gives us one Claire!

Posted by: chadnnocal | Aug 2, 2010 12:41:00 AM