Calvin Klein | Fitness | Marc Jacobs | News

Calvin Klein Talks to Marc Jacobs About Why He's Always Naked

Jacobs

Calvin Klein interviews Marc Jacobs in the new issue of Harper's Bazaar. He asks Jacobs about his propensity for not wearing clothes.

Jacobs explains:

"I had 21 percent body fat four years ago. I was in and out of the hospital because I had flare-ups of ulcerative colitis. I’d be in the office for 16 hours a day, six of which were in the bathroom because I was so ill. I ate nothing but junk food. Basically, the doctor said, 'We’re going to have to remove your colon.' And I said, “I’m not doing that!” So I went to a nutritionist named Lindsey Duncan, and he said, “If you are 100 percent compliant with what I tell you to do, you will be in better shape than you’ve ever been in, and you will not have to have your colon removed.” I said, 'Okay, sign me up.' He said no caffeine, no sugar, no white flour, no dairy from a cow, take açaí every morning, goji, noni, mangosteen, et cetera, omega-3, wheatgrass shots with ginger. The list is endless...

...He said, 'You gotta laugh every day, you gotta rest every day, and you have to perspire every day, which means you have to go to the gym.' I hadn’t stepped foot in a gym. Well, I hadn’t walked a block in 20 years. So I started, and like everything — I say this, and I hope it’s not misinterpreted, but I like what makes me feel better. That probably doesn’t come as a shock. When I started to feel better, and when my stomach wasn’t hurting, and when I wasn’t on the toilet all day, and when I could look at myself in the mirror, and when I went from 21 percent body fat to 5 percent body fat and I had muscle, I was like, This is great! When guys started looking at me and asking me out on dates, I felt way better about myself. So it was hard to keep my clothes on, actually."

Comments

1. He puts all of those expensive supplements in his body, and yet he still smokes. Weird.

Posted by: Joel | Aug 11, 2010 10:45:12 AM

2. I like Marc. He sounds like a spiritual and healthy person. And I liked him more when he said, "I'm not Tom Ford in terms of the grooming and the knowledge of clothes and the precision and perfection of getting dressed."

Posted by: Allan | Aug 11, 2010 10:45:30 AM

3. Dude was a heifer and he whipped himself into amazing shape. There's no reason in the world he shouldn't be proud of his body and show it off. He worked hard for it.

Posted by: MT | Aug 11, 2010 10:55:49 AM

4. Yes, he's in amazing shape - but who told him to get that awful ink?

Posted by: Steve | Aug 11, 2010 11:06:45 AM

5. Amazing shape? He looks completely nasty -- and not in a good way.

Posted by: MyLittlePony | Aug 11, 2010 11:09:16 AM

6. The best don't have to advertise. The guys that get ALL the attention at my gym are the ones that shower at home, don't wear slutty work out clothes and don't stink. And the tattoos, just a mark that a product is past its "sell by" date.

Posted by: GGREEN | Aug 11, 2010 11:12:32 AM

7. It's great he feels good about himself, especially with the colon thing, but I do find it depressing that someone as accomplished and celebrated as Marc Jacobs would still need the approval of guys looking at him on the street to feel good about himself. And not only that, he achieves this by making himself look much more anonymous, looking pretty much like a 21st century clone. What does that say about us? And how we interact with each other, even on an unconscious level?

Posted by: alex dilucca | Aug 11, 2010 11:13:42 AM

8. Y'all are vicious! I don't like tattoos all that much, but he worked hard and got himself in shape, that is worth praise.

I need to eat more healthfully, but I don't know how anyone can live with that restrictive diet, it would make me crazy.

Posted by: critifur | Aug 11, 2010 11:23:35 AM

9. @GGREEN I find offense in your comment about tattoos. You may not personally like them but to stereo type that way is just wrong on many levels. First of all, I don't have a "sell by" date, what ever that even means I'm not sure. Second, tattoos haven't just become popular, they have been around awhile. Some of use have them as an expression of our own self awareness not for others consideration at all. I say if he worked at his own self understanding of improvement give the man his expression.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Aug 11, 2010 11:37:34 AM

10. That was really a lot more than I ever wanted to know about Marc Jacobs' colon.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 11, 2010 11:46:11 AM

11. @Alex: You find it depressing because you're depressed. Marc Jacobs was celebrated and accomplished in his career, but he wasn't taking care of himself, and he was destroying his health -- and in turn his sex appeal. Now guys look at him AND -- did you read the rest of his sentence? -- ask him out on dates. Why should he not feel good about that?

And the idea that losing weight, gaining muscle and getting less schlubby has made him more "anonymous" (I think you mean generic) doesn't match up with reality. Jacobs was behaving much more like a typical American when he was eating crap and not working out.

Posted by: DB | Aug 11, 2010 11:46:48 AM

12. I am sure it is really, really hard to be 100 % compliant with those directions. I am sure Lindsey Duncan does not exactly promote/recommend smoking tobacco.

Life is full of contradictions but we can all agree that Mr. Jacobs has made some positive changes in his life and those changes affected his overall health and well-being.

Good on him, I say. This is a positive message and an inspiration.

Posted by: excy | Aug 11, 2010 11:49:17 AM

13. An employee at his place recently called the police because she mistook a cocaine delivery for an anthrax attack, and y'all are thinking that his body is from diet and exercise? Mmm-hmmm.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Aug 11, 2010 11:57:08 AM

14. While he clearly dropped a lot of weight fast (and by all accounts, his description of his activities and habits before the weight loss is true), I think it's laughable to think he got down to 5% body fat at his age just taking wheatgrass shots, after he was a fatty-bo-batty for decades. It don't work like that.

And while I agree he looks much better now (and am annoyed at people who think anyone who loses weight or wants to be thin/attractive is 'selling out' or 'being anonymous') it IS quite vain and annoying that now he thinks he's the first man on Earth with abs and pec implants and needs to show them off at every opportunity. There's a difference between enjoying your own body and looking desperately insecure. Guess which one Marc is. Besides, have you ever talked to one of those guys at the gay bar, standing by the bar shirtless and showing off his crazy gym bod? Yeah, they are 99.99% retarded, shallow, and cruisy. Talk to the gym bod with a shirt on. Personality improves exponentially, because they actually have something besides just a body to contribute.

Oh, I also have to laugh that someone called him healthy and spiritual, haha. If fucking rent boys, getting 'ironic' Spam tats and divorcing your husband a month after you marry him is 'spiritual,' well...

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 12:21:18 PM

15. All that wealth, all that talent, and still vain, obsessive, insecure, and lusting for approval from men.

Kind of sad, actually.

Posted by: veg | Aug 11, 2010 12:43:10 PM

16. Congratulations on your hard work and achievement, Mark. Put your clothes back on and be satisfied with the knowledge that you have accomplished something difficult. That kind of self-awareness and self-confidence is what's really going to make you attractive.

Plus -- as I remind myself constantly -- no matter how hard you work on your body, there's always someone younger, prettier and in better shape than you. Probably right there on the next bench at the gym. So don't get too caught up in your own fabulousness.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 11, 2010 12:49:15 PM

17. hey boys -- age comes for everybody -- go police yourselves!

That said, gee I really question the business savvy of a clothing desginer always being naked-- wouldn't he want to wrap himself in his marvelous designs and parade that newly gorgeous body everywhere?

Too much nudity in ads == but that is just attention getting -- but in real life?

Posted by: David B. 2 | Aug 11, 2010 12:56:12 PM

18. Marc looks great but he's not at 5% body fat. I've been at 7% body fat for a long time so I know what 7% body fat looks like and how easy it is to maintain it on a daily basis. Marc is probably between 7-9% body fat.

Dave, don't do anything because someone will be better than you. That is a really negative attitude.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 11, 2010 1:10:38 PM

19. Who the heck is Marc Jacobs anyway? I must be missing a gay gene b/c most of the celeb names that show up on this site elude me.

Posted by: Wren | Aug 11, 2010 1:11:51 PM

20. If I smoke cigarettes and do massive amounts of cocaine, will I look like that too?

Posted by: JeffNYC | Aug 11, 2010 1:12:08 PM

21. I figured Mark's answer would be "because I can".

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 11, 2010 1:15:25 PM

22. He's hot and nasty looking in a GOOD WAY. Tats and all. Keep your negative tude about others to yourself.

Posted by: Curt | Aug 11, 2010 1:48:53 PM

23. I'm jealous of him, but motivation for others is the end result; I now have a jog scheduled this afternoon thanks to this post.

Posted by: Drew | Aug 11, 2010 1:52:22 PM

24. Here's the thing. I absolutely refuse to hate on anyone who whips themselves into shape. Especially those people that spent the majority of their lives not in the best of health and definitely not in shape. And flashing that body you've worked so hard at attaining every once in a while, again I can't hate on that either.

BUT

Quiet confidence REALLY turns me on. The kind of confidence that doesn't need to draw attention to itself. It just is. It goes deeper than skin and goes deeper than body shape. It just is. It doesn't put on airs or act "macho". It just is. It isn't arrogant or rude and it doesn't expect things handed to it on a silver platter because it has the most smoking hot body in the room. Quiet confidence just is. And it gets me rock hard every time.

And by the way, to all the people out there that think a daily diet of cocaine and cigarettes will turn you from an overweight schlub into someone that looks like Marc Jacobs, I have news for you. It aint that simple. If it was, every overweight "fatty boom batty" on the planet would do it.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 11, 2010 2:06:50 PM

25. Dude looks sketchy! Tats are gross, and he's old. Once you're fifty, who cares?

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 2:25:58 PM