Bill McCollum | Florida | Gay Adoption | News

Florida AG Bill McCollum Wants Gay Foster Parents Outlawed: 'I do not think we should have homosexuals guiding our children'

Mccollum

Florida gubernatorial candidate Attorney General Bill McCollum not only supports the state's ban on gay adoption (and brought "ex-gay" fraud George Rekers in to testify), he wants to expand the law to ban gays from being foster parents.

Excerpted from the Florida Baptist Witness:

Florida permits homosexuals to serve as foster parents. That has been used as an argument to undermine the ban on adoptions. Should homosexuals be permitted to serve as foster parents in Florida?

Well, I personally don’t think so, but that is the law.

Should the law be changed?

I think that it would be advisable. I really do not think that we should have homosexuals guiding our children. I think that it’s a lifestyle that I don’t agree with. I realize a lot of people do. It’s my personal faith, religious faith, that I don’t believe that the people who do this should be raising our children. It’s not a natural thing. You need a mother and a father. You need a man and a woman. That’s what God intended.

Bill McCollum apparently puts his god before the welfare of children.

(via think progress)

Comments

1. McCollum, your "personal faith, religious faith..." is irrelevant in this issue and the laws of Florida.

Posted by: Jim | Aug 9, 2010 8:27:05 PM

2. If only we could launch this despicable creature on a permanent inflatable evacuation slide! Beyond disgusting.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 9, 2010 8:43:36 PM

3. He looks like Mr. Rogers illegitimate bastard child. I posted this on their website. I doubt they'll post it:

Perhaps Bill McCollum should have been asked he believes in the separation of church and state; since all of his political positions are based on his religious beliefs.

The divorce rate is over 50%, yet gay couples are the biggest threat to children. Really? There are currently over 20 million children being raised by single parents. But I don't here him condemning the divorced parents that have harmed their children.

There clearly aren't enough foster parents to adopt children, and Mr. McCollum would rather the children age out of the system because his religious beliefs tell him that gay people are inferior at parenting. According to him, just because a person is straight automatically makes them a better parent than someone who is gay; and he is unable to see the illogic of his position.

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 9, 2010 8:45:38 PM

4. "I really do not think that we should have homosexuals guiding our children."

*OUR* children? Wow... did you help father them?

Stupid right-wingers. "Regulate Families, not businesses!" Should be the other way around knuckle heads.

Posted by: jexer | Aug 9, 2010 8:50:45 PM

5. Creep! Cannot wait to vote against him and his fellow repugs as a new Florida voter!

Posted by: InExile | Aug 9, 2010 8:51:52 PM

6. The man is a fucking idiot..and if Floridians vote for him they deserve what they get.

Unfortunately, the children who can't vote and are living in foster care in Florida, don't deserve this asshole. And that's the problem and the shame.

Posted by: Taylor | Aug 9, 2010 8:55:56 PM

7. This guys photo should be in Webster's under the definition of "closet case". I'm sure some compromising photos of him with a call boy will surface eventually.

Posted by: matt | Aug 9, 2010 9:09:01 PM

8. wow...he'd rather rely on the teachings of a cult or some mythical man made deity rather than face reality and do what is in the best interest of these human beings in need of assistance...whata tragedy and a farce.

Posted by: chris | Aug 9, 2010 9:22:37 PM

9. Im sorry, Im not a Christian, so Im not an expert...but as I understand it, JESUS wasn't made from a mother and father, was he?!?

Besides, its not like these foster kids are being denied wonderful Donna Reed homes in favor of depraved gay sex addicts. Their other option is to be stuck in orphanages or shuttled around from home to home to people who may neglect, molest or use them.

Posted by: dizzy spins | Aug 9, 2010 9:27:09 PM

10. choke on a dick, bill

Posted by: anon | Aug 9, 2010 9:31:19 PM

11. He DOES know that it was a MAN and a WOMAN, a MOTHER and a FATHER that PRODUCED these unwanted orphans RIGHT?

It amazes me that gays can selflessly step in to clean up the messes that straights make and then have to endure the insult of having those SAME straights slap them in the face and label them as selfish, irresponsible and dastardly for it.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 9, 2010 9:35:10 PM

12. It's always amusing to me that these asshats who say a child must be raised by a mother and a father, rarely acknowledge that probably 99% of all homosexuals were raised by both heterosexual parents, yet turned out Gay. Not to mention the rapist murders and other assorted felons raised by heterosexuals.

So...doesn't it figure that children raised by heterosexual parents are more likely to be Gay or felons?

My solution to this would be that children of Heterosexuals should be removed from those families and turned over to Gays and Lesbians to be raised, to lessen the probability that they will turn out to be Gay or criminals. I wonder how Bill would feel about that?

Posted by: Taylor | Aug 9, 2010 9:51:20 PM

13. Nobody told him that kids raised by same sex parents are are smarter and more socially developed and have higher self esteem.

Posted by: crazywoman | Aug 9, 2010 9:53:38 PM

14. I left Florida 4 years ago after 30 years in Miami-Dade. I wanted to leave after Hurricane Andrew, but my partner insisted we stay and rebuild. We had good jobs and his family was there and we owned a house. So I made the mistake of staying another 14 years, against my better judgment.

The state is a sewer. The happiest day of my life was when I saw Florida fading away in my rear view mirror. I would never go back, not even to vacation. Florida was once a halfway decent place to live, but since the age of Bush, and the GOP hold on Tallahassee, it has become a third world dump.

Bill McCollum has always been a very creepy character. He's become a perpetual candidate since he lost his House seat. I think he runs for every office available. If Floridians send him to Tallahassee, they deserve everything they get. McCollum is a real piece of work and as ignorant as they come.

Posted by: Bob R | Aug 9, 2010 10:03:19 PM

15. I'm really sick of idiots like these.

Posted by: aleabeth | Aug 9, 2010 10:09:12 PM

16. The problem is Bill McCollum is the lesser anti-gay bigot of the two Republicans running for governor and, for reasons that are beyond me, they BOTH are way out ahead of any Democratic challenger in the polls.

I scared to death that we will get either McCollum or the even more conservative, more homophobic Republican.

As bad as Charlie Crist is, I think we are going miss him when he is replaced.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 9, 2010 10:16:20 PM

17. You hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. They put the welfare of their god ahead of the welfare of our children, our nation, and the ideals we hold dear like justice and equality. It is downright un-American.

Posted by: gaylib | Aug 9, 2010 10:52:56 PM

18. The polls must show he is losing. Quick play the gay card!

Posted by: Mike Triggs | Aug 9, 2010 11:02:57 PM

19. And just when I thought I couldn't hate Florida any more...

Posted by: Mark | Aug 9, 2010 11:09:38 PM

20. Is it too late to take the, "I do not think we should have homophobs guiding our children" stance?

Posted by: Garst | Aug 9, 2010 11:18:40 PM

21. Mr McCollum, you can take your personal and religious faith and stick it up yer ass. Ever hear of a lil thing called separation of church and state?

Posted by: Rich | Aug 9, 2010 11:20:27 PM

22. America to McCollum: Fuck you, old dude!

But seriously, he's out of his mother fuckin mind.

Posted by: beegee | Aug 9, 2010 11:59:57 PM

23. People like this who apply their religious morality to their job as a public servant should be impeached, recalled, fired, or though whatever means necessary, removed from office.

Posted by: Rich | Aug 10, 2010 12:26:27 AM

24. Well, here's our personal experience. I just adopted my son, 23, this year. Adult adoption. His mother was killed when he was six, and the good state of Arizona didn't bother telling the kid until a year later. It didn't matter to them. She was a sex worker, so that life wasn't particularly important in the over all scheme of things, apparently. This child never had a father.

When he was 13, he was placed with a loving gay couple, who wanted to adopt him a year later. The social worker didn't approve of gay parents, either, and lied on the application so that his one and only chance at adoption, was denied. One of these men became a priest, and the couple is universally respected in the church.

The event was traumatic enough that he nearly committed suicide. He still has the scars from that.

During the joys of bouncing around from group home to foster home and back again, never more than a year at any one place, one of the straight families' kids managed to rape my son when he was 10. It was incredibly brutal. That didn't happen in a gay family, where he was loved. It was a straight family.

Like many kids that age out of foster care, never having been adopted, the clear message that society gave my son was that he was unworthy of love. He was beneath care and compassion. Straight people did that. One foster family kept my son for a four day weekend before turning him back to the agency. My son didn't want to become a Mormon. They cared more about adding to their church than the welfare of a wonderful little boy. How sad. "Do you know how that made me feel? Like a toy that nobody liked."

Abuse like this takes its toll. Kids that age out of foster care suffer enormous rates of suicide, alcohol and drug abuse. My son was no exception.

Mr. McCullum, I want you to know that even though people like you kept my son from having a loving home, by refusing to let a gay couple adopt him, he has found a permanent home with me, his gay father. Now there's nothing bigots like you can do about it.

You should see how much this fine young man has responded with love. Our church gives him lots of care and support. Every asset I have, every dime I own, every moment of my time, belongs to my son, who I love more than life itself. He is the very center of my life. I can't believe that people like McCullum are so filled with hate that people like my son are expendable for their religious agenda.

My son has made remarkable recovery. He came very close to dying at the hands of evil people like McCullum. May God have mercy on your soul. You genuinely have no idea what you are doing.

My son is gay, by the way. I know McCullum doesn't care, but the local gay center helped my son so incredibly much. We stood by my son, this gay community, when straight bigots consigned him to a life of homelessness and neglect. He's doing well in college, starting this year, 3.84 gpa.

How McCullum and his ilk sleep at night is beyond me. The screams of the tortured children crying out for love and nurturing parents should keep them awake for the rest of their days.

Posted by: Craig | Aug 10, 2010 12:35:51 AM

25. Thank you CRAIG, for your comment and your love for your son.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 10, 2010 1:21:11 AM