AIDS/HIV | Iowa | Jeremy Walters | News | Republican Party

Iowa GOP Candidate Jeremy Walters Apologizes for AIDS Remarks

Jeremy Walters, the Iowa GOP candidate for Congress under fire for Facebook remarks saying that AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality, has released an apology to the Iowa Independent.

Walters  Says Walters:

I am not against people having a gay lifestyle, and the statements made on Facebook have been taken the wrong way. The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive and I deeply appologize.

As far as the quote from Bible; I was replying to someone elses post. It should have been posted as a comment on their page, not my Facebook wall. I appologize for the mistake and if this statement offened anyone. Both postings have been removed and these comments do not pertain to my campaign or the Republican Party of Iowa. My passion is to listen and learn from the people so I can represent them at the statehouse. Everyone makes mistakes, please forgive me.

Comments

1. I just love it when they say "the statements made have been taken the wrong way".

Um, no they weren't. That's how you felt and you're an asshole.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 18, 2010 10:04:06 AM

2. I don't have a "lifestyle."

Posted by: homer | Aug 18, 2010 10:17:01 AM

3. Fat, ignorant turd.

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 18, 2010 10:18:09 AM

4. Again, he is just apologizing because he got caught! If you don't mean it, then don't say it.

Posted by: Verdon Coleman | Aug 18, 2010 10:20:26 AM

5. I might be able to forgive the comments. But gurl, we gotta talk about that tie.

How long before he gets busted with a male prostitute?

Posted by: Designerik | Aug 18, 2010 10:22:42 AM

6. He's a "stay-at-home" dad.

What does he do all day at home anyway? Fantasize about people "having a gay lifestyle"?

Posted by: JeffNYC | Aug 18, 2010 10:22:59 AM

7. Also, "gay homosexuality"? lolwhut?

Posted by: Matt in Atlanta | Aug 18, 2010 10:26:58 AM

8. No, I will not forgive you.

Don't insult people and then say "The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive".

Also, "gay homosexuality?" LOL

Posted by: Alco | Aug 18, 2010 10:28:03 AM

9. I am SO over this "Statement / Comment" then "Retraction" EVERYWHERE. You are your words, period. Whether it's this bone head, Sharon Angle or Barack Obama. You chose the words that came out of your mouth; it is your character, you own them.

All I get out of these messages is "Let me shout something out and see what kind of reaction I get!"

If you are on record as saying AIDS is God's punishment of homosexuals, then you said it, you own it. If you are on record as saying Tea Party constituents should take out Harry Reid, then you own it. If you feel a Muslim Community Center and mosque in lower Manhattan are covered under the United States 1st Amendment rights, then you (AND OUR FOUNDING FATHERS) said it.

STOP THE BACKPEDALING!!!! Enough already.

At least Mel Gibson and Alex Baldwin have the balls to stand up to their words!

Posted by: Rad | Aug 18, 2010 10:38:48 AM

10. he believes that way but really was sorry that people found out about it. and what difference does it make it it was supposed to be put on somebody's facebook page or his own. he was hoping no one would see it.

Posted by: walter | Aug 18, 2010 10:42:32 AM

11. So is a “gay homosexual” considered “straight”?

Posted by: ichabod | Aug 18, 2010 10:47:43 AM

12. "The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive . . ."

I call bull-shit!

The only reason these wackos apologize is when they are called on their comments. I am so sick and tired of people telling me I am a horrible person just to apologize later as being "misunderstood". We understood you the first time - you don't like homo's and want to get rid of us. Fine, but you will pay a price later at the polls.

Posted by: Adam Mathias | Aug 18, 2010 10:48:15 AM

13. Just to clarify, he's not running for Congress, he's running for a seat in the Iowa State House of Representatives.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 18, 2010 10:50:25 AM

14. And the back peddaling(sp?) begins as politicians find out that a LOT of people don't share their beliefs..always saying "it was taken the wrong way". I am so sick of this crap.
    Take back the government from the church. Separate state and church!! We do not need the bible and all its fallacies pushed upon us as a people.
    Seriously, religion is the root of the problems in the world, it was created to keep people in line, in check, and to this day is still causing problems.
    If you wish to hold on to that dream then fine, but keep it out of the government.

Posted by: mnrocko | Aug 18, 2010 10:51:00 AM

15. This is simply words put to a belief strongly held by christianists- and sadly so. The "God's punishment" meme is out there. It's comments like this that remind us that we still have much work to do.

Posted by: D Gregory smith | Aug 18, 2010 10:51:09 AM

16. Wait - is that really an apology? Blaming the reader for "misunderstanding" what was said or taking a statement "out of context" is hardly an apology.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 18, 2010 11:15:01 AM

17. Pfffttt, what a pig. His apology? LOL, well he got caught. What a stupid dipstick. Wonder if he's related to Palin?

Posted by: NancyBoyDrew | Aug 18, 2010 11:23:48 AM

18. So some old fatass republican douche bag doesn't know how to use facebook and quotes the Bible... Breaking news? Not really. I think he needs to look at Proverbs 23:2

Posted by: beegee | Aug 18, 2010 11:28:01 AM

19. I do not beleive any more but like, I suspect, many others who read this site I was brought up as a christian (of the Anglican variety so not too hard core) so I know my bible, at least the New Testiment.

Now my reading of the new Testiment (which it must be remembered in the chrisitan teaching replacers all that goes before it) is that Jesus was rather welcoming of "outsiders" he might have firm words for them (especially about giving away their money - never understood how rich conservatives get around that one so inconvenient...) but he did welcome them and protect them from the prejudice of others. Prostitutes, Samaritans, Roman officers, tax gatherers, the crippled, the list goes on and on that is christianity's great rederming virtue - compassion and the ability not to judge others but simply to accept and help

How this simple early religon of peace, mutual love and support has over the last 2000 years become a point of justification for bigots and haters I do not understand - it is almost as though the christianity I was taught at school and church as a child is a different religon from that espoused by such as this man.

If this is what the church of christ is now about it really is time to shut up shop and call it a day because the likes of Mr Walters have become modern day pharasees, not that I would suggest he is jewish since I expect his views on them are also pretty hard line.

Overall I feel sorry for this man, he will never find peace since he hates so much, the real christians I know take great peace of mind from their beliefs and are usually to be found quietly helping out at charities and such like not running for political office and fluffing their egos on twitter and the like .

Brothers and sisters keep an eye on men like this for they can do evil but also pity him his narrow dark inner life. (and the dreadful taste in ties)

Posted by: arch | Aug 18, 2010 11:54:11 AM

20. I like the term gay homosexual.

It implies that not only do I fuck the same sex, but I'm really happy about it!

Posted by: James | Aug 18, 2010 11:54:37 AM

21. Ass.

What I Love is hte "conditional apology," i.e., "I apologize IF . . . this statement offended anyone." The apology is required, and should not be conditional, because it in fact DID offend (reasonable) people.

Most everyone does it. But it bothers me most when it is ignorant asses like this guy who do in fact mean harm.

Posted by: Hermes in DC | Aug 18, 2010 12:46:32 PM

22. I would be very surprised if he were the one who wrote the comment in the first place. It's far more likely that one or more staffers are charged with writing his social media posts. He's just had to backpedal as though he were the author, which is politically preferable to admitting that he doesn't write his posts. And to be fair, that practice crosses party lines. It's the hiring of bigoted staff that tends to be a Republican-only practice.

Posted by: David | Aug 18, 2010 1:16:48 PM

23. If I can't appologize for the mistake for posting a comment on facebook last week then what should I do.

Posted by: jeremy | Aug 18, 2010 1:41:06 PM

24. I'm not apologizing because I got caught. I'm apologizing because it is the right thing to do.

Posted by: jeremy | Aug 18, 2010 1:43:46 PM