Iowa GOP Candidate Jeremy Walters Apologizes for AIDS Remarks

Jeremy Walters, the Iowa GOP candidate for Congress under fire for Facebook remarks saying that AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality, has released an apology to the Iowa Independent.

Walters  Says Walters:

I am not against people having a gay lifestyle, and the statements made on Facebook have been taken the wrong way. The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive and I deeply appologize.

As far as the quote from Bible; I was replying to someone elses post. It should have been posted as a comment on their page, not my Facebook wall. I appologize for the mistake and if this statement offened anyone. Both postings have been removed and these comments do not pertain to my campaign or the Republican Party of Iowa. My passion is to listen and learn from the people so I can represent them at the statehouse. Everyone makes mistakes, please forgive me.

Comments

1. Matt says

I just love it when they say “the statements made have been taken the wrong way”.

Um, no they weren’t. That’s how you felt and you’re an asshole.

2. Alco says

No, I will not forgive you.

Don’t insult people and then say “The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive”.

Also, “gay homosexuality?” LOL

3. Rad says

I am SO over this “Statement / Comment” then “Retraction” EVERYWHERE. You are your words, period. Whether it’s this bone head, Sharon Angle or Barack Obama. You chose the words that came out of your mouth; it is your character, you own them.

All I get out of these messages is “Let me shout something out and see what kind of reaction I get!”

If you are on record as saying AIDS is God’s punishment of homosexuals, then you said it, you own it. If you are on record as saying Tea Party constituents should take out Harry Reid, then you own it. If you feel a Muslim Community Center and mosque in lower Manhattan are covered under the United States 1st Amendment rights, then you (AND OUR FOUNDING FATHERS) said it.

STOP THE BACKPEDALING!!!! Enough already.

At least Mel Gibson and Alex Baldwin have the balls to stand up to their words!

4. walter says

he believes that way but really was sorry that people found out about it. and what difference does it make it it was supposed to be put on somebody’s facebook page or his own. he was hoping no one would see it.

5. Adam Mathias says

“The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive . . .”

I call bull-shit!

The only reason these wackos apologize is when they are called on their comments. I am so sick and tired of people telling me I am a horrible person just to apologize later as being “misunderstood”. We understood you the first time – you don’t like homo’s and want to get rid of us. Fine, but you will pay a price later at the polls.

6. mnrocko says

And the back peddaling(sp?) begins as politicians find out that a LOT of people don’t share their beliefs..always saying “it was taken the wrong way”. I am so sick of this crap.
    Take back the government from the church. Separate state and church!! We do not need the bible and all its fallacies pushed upon us as a people.
    Seriously, religion is the root of the problems in the world, it was created to keep people in line, in check, and to this day is still causing problems.
    If you wish to hold on to that dream then fine, but keep it out of the government.

7. Steve says

Wait – is that really an apology? Blaming the reader for “misunderstanding” what was said or taking a statement “out of context” is hardly an apology.

8. beegee says

So some old fatass republican douche bag doesn’t know how to use facebook and quotes the Bible… Breaking news? Not really. I think he needs to look at Proverbs 23:2

9. arch says

I do not beleive any more but like, I suspect, many others who read this site I was brought up as a christian (of the Anglican variety so not too hard core) so I know my bible, at least the New Testiment.

Now my reading of the new Testiment (which it must be remembered in the chrisitan teaching replacers all that goes before it) is that Jesus was rather welcoming of “outsiders” he might have firm words for them (especially about giving away their money – never understood how rich conservatives get around that one so inconvenient…) but he did welcome them and protect them from the prejudice of others. Prostitutes, Samaritans, Roman officers, tax gatherers, the crippled, the list goes on and on that is christianity’s great rederming virtue – compassion and the ability not to judge others but simply to accept and help

How this simple early religon of peace, mutual love and support has over the last 2000 years become a point of justification for bigots and haters I do not understand – it is almost as though the christianity I was taught at school and church as a child is a different religon from that espoused by such as this man.

If this is what the church of christ is now about it really is time to shut up shop and call it a day because the likes of Mr Walters have become modern day pharasees, not that I would suggest he is jewish since I expect his views on them are also pretty hard line.

Overall I feel sorry for this man, he will never find peace since he hates so much, the real christians I know take great peace of mind from their beliefs and are usually to be found quietly helping out at charities and such like not running for political office and fluffing their egos on twitter and the like .

Brothers and sisters keep an eye on men like this for they can do evil but also pity him his narrow dark inner life. (and the dreadful taste in ties)

10. Hermes in DC says

Ass.

What I Love is hte “conditional apology,” i.e., “I apologize IF . . . this statement offended anyone.” The apology is required, and should not be conditional, because it in fact DID offend (reasonable) people.

Most everyone does it. But it bothers me most when it is ignorant asses like this guy who do in fact mean harm.

11. David says

I would be very surprised if he were the one who wrote the comment in the first place. It’s far more likely that one or more staffers are charged with writing his social media posts. He’s just had to backpedal as though he were the author, which is politically preferable to admitting that he doesn’t write his posts. And to be fair, that practice crosses party lines. It’s the hiring of bigoted staff that tends to be a Republican-only practice.

12. BobN says

I sure hope the good people of Iowa spare this man the pain of reciting the oath of office and allegiance to the Iowa Constitution which guarantees the right of same-sex marriage.

For his sake, of course.

13. Joe says

You can’t say something that hateful and then say “But, I’m not against homosexuality.” I guess I can take some solace in the fact that 20-30 years ago if he’d said he wouldn’t have felt any shame and it probably wouldn’t have hurt him too much. At least know he feels the need to lie and apologize.

And, because I take cheap shots – WTF is wrong with that tie. Horrifying.

14. ChrisM says

Oh good it’s the 1980’s all over again. Someone needs to point out to these Neanderthal’s that, although a high percentage of HIV infections in the USA are in gay men, this is not the case world wide. But using this fool’s logic then I guess that prostate cancer is God’s punishment of men as well as breast cancer is His punishment of women – their God must be one mean and sadistic old fellow. The hatred, bigotry and stupidity of these bible beating fools in the name of their God never cease to amaze me.

15. Dillon says

If this man is so close to god then I want to shave some biblical advice for obese GOP congressional candidate Jeremy Walters. These are the words of god and I doubt that he’ll be issuing any conditional apology soon.

Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

16. jeremy says

Frist of all I am not a congressional candidate. I was letting a Frind Know that in the Old Testament the old law was still around and something like Leviticus 20;13 you would be stone to death. But in the New Testament to the old law went away cause Jesus came to us and know we can be saved. We are saved by grace and Love. When I put the adids in the statement that offened alot people and I sorry for that. I understand that you can get adids though many other things aswell. This was not for the press or the news to know. But someone felt it was a chance to get me to lose my campagin. Again these comments do not pertain to my campaign.

17. jeremy says

Frist of all I am not a congressional candidate. I was letting a Friend Know that in the Old Testament the old law was still around and something like Leviticus 20;13 you would be stone to death. But in the New Testament to the old law went away cause Jesus came to us and know we can be saved. We are saved by grace and Love. When I put the adids in the statement that offened alot people and I sorry for that. I understand that you can get adids though many other things aswell. This was not for the press or the news to know. But someone felt it was a chance to get me to lose my campagin. Again these comments do not pertain to my campaign.

18. Dave says

His being fat and ugly is God’s punishment for him being lazy and for having developed poor grooming habits, both his choice; however, his balding and my homosexuality, simply our lots in life…

19. TheNiebur says

“And, because I take cheap shots – WTF is wrong with that tie. Horrifying.”

Posted by: Joe | Aug 18, 2010 7:39:28 PM

_______________________________________

Hmmm… I actually think the tie is the only redeeming part of that photo…