Larry King | Laura Schlessinger | News | Radio

Watch: Dr. Laura Says She is Ending Her Radio Show

Drlaura

Dr. Laura Schlessinger told Larry King last night that condemnations following her use of the N-word 11 times on her radio show last week have made her decide to end the show:

"Well, I'm here to say that my contract is up for my radio show at the end of the year and I have made the decision not to do radio anymore. The reason is: I want to regain my First Amendment rights. I want to be able to say what's on my mind, and in my heart, what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is a time to silence a voice of dissent, and attack affiliates and attack sponsors...I'm sort of done with that. I'm not retiring. I'm not quitting. I feel energized actually, stronger and freer to say the things that I believe need to be said for people in this country...I write books. I have blogs. I have my Web site...This is the area -- this is the era of the Internet."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The NYT adds:

In 2000, a coalition of gay activists launched a Web site, StopDrLaura.com, and organized protests and boycotts across the United States and Canada in response to her comments about homosexuality, which she referred to as a 'biological error.' They were also angered by her outspoken stance against adoption by same-sex couples, and remarks in which she said that a 'a huge portion of the male homosexual populace is predatory on young boys.' Dr. Schlessinger apologized for many of her comments, but many of her advertisers left her radio show, and a television show she started in 2000 was ended a year later. On the Web site StopDrLaura.com Tuesday night, a headline at the top of the home page declared, 'We Stopped Dr Laura.'”

Comments

1. Hope this isn't premature but...

"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.. The Witch is Dead... The Witch is Dead"

Posted by: Darren | Aug 18, 2010 8:23:56 AM

2. Ding, dong...

(A h/t to John Avarosis of AmericaBlog who was one of the founders of StopDrLaura.com and the most visible in the campaign to buffer this vile, hateful, and woefully ignorant bitch over these last ten years.)

Posted by: david026257 | Aug 18, 2010 8:25:56 AM

3. Good riddance to this bigoted, self-absorbed beyotch. ...Unless she plans on using her spare time to run for public office.

Posted by: ManPuppyMen | Aug 18, 2010 8:33:32 AM

4. Folks, don't kid yourself... she is far from gone. I predict she'll be a commentator on Fox and you'll now see quotes from her all the time about all kinds of political issues - in much the same way the Sarah Palin keeps popping up. The narrative will be: "Bold Christian Conservation fighting to keep her freedom of speech which is under attack from liberals and homosexual activists." The hypocrisy is sickening.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 18, 2010 8:55:36 AM

5. My God... I'm sooooo tired of hearing these whiny bitches moan about their first amendment rights... no one's silencing her... they're CRITICIZING her, and rightly so. For the last fucking time (yeah, right)... freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism. If this leathery old thoot can't figure that out on her own, then maybe her opinions aren't worthy of air time.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 18, 2010 8:56:57 AM

6. There's nothing like the screeching of a bigoted conservative throwing around first-amendment rights. "I want to be able to tell people how to hate and you won't let me! Waaaaah!" Well, she can always use her "doctorate" for what it was initially intended and help herself recover from that awful plastic surgery.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Aug 18, 2010 9:00:55 AM

7. She's undoubtedly about to have her contract cancelled. So, what's this new medium she's going to turn to that doesn't have affiliates and sponsored? Teabagger rallies?

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 18, 2010 9:03:01 AM

8. I hate this woman.

Posted by: Grant | Aug 18, 2010 9:08:24 AM

9. Andy, the screencap is priceless. It captures "Dr." Laura in all her reptillian glory.

Posted by: Hank | Aug 18, 2010 9:20:17 AM

10. @ The Milkman -- me too! I love how these bigots are always complaining how 'liberals' are whiners and need the govt to constantly protect 'them', but let them say something moronic in public and the public reacts and all of the sudden they are First Amendment victims! WOW, what a pussy!

Couldn't happen to a nicer lizard.

Posted by: princely54 | Aug 18, 2010 9:50:25 AM

11. She complains about people interfering with her right to freedom of speech, when what she really has a problem with is when people don't like what she says. Sorry, Honey, that part's not covered - that's us using our right to free speech. Get it?

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 18, 2010 10:00:50 AM

12. Just like Dr. Phil, she abuses her title. She is not a medical doctor, yet tries to pass herself off as one.

Snake oil salesmen, at best, the both of them.

Good riddance and good luck with that blogging thing.

Posted by: TC | Aug 18, 2010 10:09:24 AM

13. Two points:

She clearly lied when she apologized including her description of how she knew that she was out of line which caused her to not return for the second half of her show.

And she values HER free speech rights much more than she does the free speech rights of her listeners. Or perhaps she believes that "freedom of speech" means "freedom of unchallenged speech". Either way, she's WRONG. Constitutional freedom of speech protects her from GOVERNMENTAL intervention NOT from PUBLIC challenge. The fact that she can't say "FUCK" on the radio is her ONLY real violation of Constitutional free speech because it's the government that is limiting her speech rights. Having the general public challenging her, boycotting her and complaining to her boss is every bit as much a part of a philosophical free speech right as her right to spew ignorant and hateful bile over the airwaves on a daily basis.

How ironic that she has, MANY times, encouraged her listeners to boycott this company or that company for violating HER self-righteous moral standards yet when people do the same to her she whines about free speech rights.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 18, 2010 10:14:20 AM

14. And the 2011 model year of Tea Party celebrities is officially launched...

Posted by: Gianpiero | Aug 18, 2010 10:32:42 AM

15. Most of the right-wing talk radio talk show hosts I've ever heard have no issue with saying the most egregious, factually untrue things at the drop of a hat--and they never have to worry about being silenced. Maybe Dr. L and folks like her should simply put some thought into what they say, instead of spouting off crap and then playing the victim when people call them on their bullshit. Her First Amendment rights aren't at stake here--her lack of any critical thinking is the problem.

Posted by: TomSkylark | Aug 18, 2010 10:39:48 AM

16. "Doctor" Laura did her doctoral thesis studying rats, according to Wiki. How appropriate.

Posted by: grego | Aug 18, 2010 10:52:01 AM

17. @Mike:"The narrative will be: "Bold Christian Conservation fighting to keep her freedom of speech..."

ISn't Dr.Laura an orthodox Jew?

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 18, 2010 10:58:32 AM

18. why does anyone listen to someone who calls herself "Dr." when her degree is in physiology?? She's not a psychologist.

Posted by: rick | Aug 18, 2010 11:27:58 AM

19. Awww.... poooooooor Dr. Laura.

Maybe if you had been more willing to 'debate' instead of 'browbeat' people with your idiotic opinions it wouldn't have come to this point.

I'm so glad to see you getting the 'Helen Thomas' treatment. Good riddance.

Posted by: jexer | Aug 18, 2010 1:05:41 PM

20. I actually used to love listening to Dr. Laura when I was a kid, but stopped one day when I realized what a disservice she was doing to people who had serious, serious problems -- making them think that they didn't need counseling, but rather, a quick phone call to her.

So, I let her go, and when I heard this ridiculous rant, I was shocked. I always knew she was conservative, but her points: "You're oversensitive," "Don't marry outside of your race," and that black people suffer from "Black-think" as demonstrated by their support of Obama (because, of course, black people are too simple to find other reasons to support the man), is sickening and offensive.

And, to be clear, she now claims that because she is being criticized, she's a victim? That's insanity. Absolute insanity. Adios!

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Aug 18, 2010 1:20:47 PM

21. "I'm never wrong!" "What I said offended people? Why? But I'm right." "You don't know what you're talking about?"

No matter the topic, this is endless string of thoughts running through her head when someone is speaking to her. I hear Glenn Beck needs someone to do the weather on his show.

Posted by: Piper | Aug 18, 2010 2:39:11 PM

22. like Palin. tired of being held to account for what she says. wants to be able to spew irresponsible theories and half truths, not to mention the outright deceptions to bolster a bigoted position. so much easier preaching to the choir i suppose.

Posted by: Rikard | Aug 18, 2010 3:17:23 PM

23. She'll be back because she's got a face for radio.

Posted by: DeeVee | Aug 18, 2010 4:11:39 PM

24. Fuck off and die you disgusting cunt.

Posted by: MarkDC | Aug 18, 2010 9:22:39 PM

25. "I want to regain my First Amendment rights. I want to be able to say what's on my mind, and in my heart, what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is a time to silence a voice of dissent, and attack affiliates and attack sponsors..."

The First Amendment does not provide anyone the right to freedom from the consequences of self expression.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Aug 19, 2010 6:42:10 PM