Anderson Cooper | News

Andrew Shirvell Attempts To Explain Anti-Gay Blog to Anderson Cooper, Fails To Justify Bigotry

Andreshirvell360

Anderson Cooper pulled no punches last night when he interviewed Andrew Shirvell, the Assistant District Attorney from Michigan who spends his time blogging about Chris Armstrong, the openly gay President of the University of Michigan's student body.

"The University’s first openly 'gay' student body president ... is actively recruiting your sons and daughters to join the homosexual 'lifestyle," reads a typical post on Shirvell's virtual digs, Chris Armstrong Watch, where he also calls Shirvell "Satan's representative." Again, homophobes can be so flamboyant!

The story has grown over the past few weeks, and Shirvell's looking more and more like a pariah. Even his boss, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox, has called him "immature," but, as with Saxby Chambliss, the Republican Senator whose staffer last week left a homophobic message on Joe My God, Cox doesn't seem inclined to punish Shirvell.

Asked about Shirvell, Cox simply said, "I don't agree with Mr. Shirvell's tactics, his judgment, or his word choice, but nonetheless I recognize his non–work-related blog is protected by our Constitution." Yes, well, so is free press, which is where Cooper comes into the story, ready to get to the nitty-gritty of what he calls a "strange" story. That's putting it nicely.

"Are you a bigot?" "Aren't you a cyber-bully?" "It appears, though, that you're obsessed with this young gay man." That's just a sampling of Cooper's exchange with Shirvell, who can't seem to understand why so many people are mad at him, because, as he puts it, he's simply playing politics.

"I sense anger in your voice," Shirvell tells a somewhat amused, and just as confused, Cooper.

Watch Shirvell squirm and Cooper question, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Mr. Shirvel's affect and speech pattern are like that of someone on the spectrum. He comes off like having Asperger's disorder.

Posted by: tooboot | Sep 29, 2010 8:32:02 AM

2. That was an outstanding interview by Anderson Cooper. Brought up some good points (especially Michigan law defining harrassment). I liked Anderson blunting asking the anti-gay bigot if he considers himself a bigot. That homophobic asshole is absolutely guilty of harrassment and stalking the gay body student president. And said bigot deserves to be fired. There are limits to one's First Amendment rights. I'd saying stalking someone, harrassing them at their home, is definitely going beyond those limits.

Posted by: Terry | Sep 29, 2010 8:35:27 AM

3. I was not prepared for the total and utter, um ... gaiety emanating from Mr. Shirvill's mouth.

There's no story here. Another closet case directing his self-hatred outward, that's it.

Posted by: Red Seven | Sep 29, 2010 8:38:23 AM

4. "I don't have any hate in my body at all"

HA. You know, 'cause he squiggled a swastika on Chris's face out of love.

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Sep 29, 2010 8:39:25 AM

5. I completely agree with Red Seven. Andrew is CLEARLY a self-loathing closet-case lashing out at someone else who happens to be a self-confident gay man. Which in Andrew's warped mind is totally unacceptable. He's probably attracted to Chris Armstrong, so this is the only way he knows how to cope with his inappropriate feelings. The guy really does need a lot of counseling. But he's obviously not self-aware enough to get it.

Posted by: David in Houston | Sep 29, 2010 8:56:32 AM

6. That there is an odd duck.

Posted by: Greggie | Sep 29, 2010 8:56:38 AM

7. Shirvill is a complete closet case. Armstrong probably declined his invitation for a blowjob. Nothing worse than a scorned woman.

Posted by: Gary | Sep 29, 2010 9:00:04 AM

8. Just go to his blog and flag it as hate speech.

Took me less than a minute.

Posted by: Rob G. | Sep 29, 2010 9:11:55 AM

9. he's a CLOSET case!!! wow- what a sick person

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 29, 2010 9:20:27 AM

10. What a freak. "but...but...I'm not the only one doing this stuff. The Alliance Defense Fund told me the guy was trouble."

Posted by: Troy | Sep 29, 2010 9:20:38 AM

11. So was that comment about Anderson's apparent "anger" some attempt to call him out??? How immature.

Posted by: Toto | Sep 29, 2010 9:24:28 AM

12. If I were Chris Armstrong, I'd seek a restraining order against this whacko! He is clearly disturbed and in need of professional help!

Posted by: Aaron | Sep 29, 2010 9:26:28 AM

13. There is no way that Mike Cox will do anything about this nut case. He is a lame duck and lost his bid to be on the Republican ticket for Governor.

Aaron, you make a good suggestion. I hope no harm comes to Chris Armstrong.

U of M cannot be too happy about having Shirvell as an alum.

Posted by: voet | Sep 29, 2010 9:37:50 AM

14. Gay much?....saw the interview..this guy gives me the creeps...sounds like stalking to me.

Posted by: FreddyMertz | Sep 29, 2010 9:39:48 AM

15. I wish Anderson was able to enumerate the specific things this guy hates about Chris.

Also, what campaign? He kept referring to a political campaign. There is no political campaign.

Posted by: dc20008 | Sep 29, 2010 9:42:07 AM

16. Mr. Shirvell is clearly a closet case who is obsessed with Mr. Armstrong. Perhaps he wishes he had been an out gay man elected to student government while he was at U of M.

Posted by: Dave from Chicago | Sep 29, 2010 9:42:17 AM

17. Jilted lover?

Posted by: Curt | Sep 29, 2010 9:42:25 AM

18. Anderson Cooper GRILLED this self-loathing closet case! Although Anderson himself is not out, he may actually be more effective to be "neutral" when he seeks plain justice in cases like this. As for Shirvell, he is clearly IN LOVE with Chris Armstrong. I just wish Anderson could ask all the questions that we REALLY want to ask him. Excellent job Anderson Cooper!

Posted by: Jim | Sep 29, 2010 9:49:32 AM

19. Completely agree with all the above comments. However, is anyone overlooking the fact that this guy is a LAWYER? Are you fucking kidding me? Clearly, this guy really believes that he understands the laws of his state and what he's doing is legal by using his constitutional guarantee of free speech to intimidate and harass another person.

This is a losing case. When this gets to court, he'll have a hard time proving any type of "radical" agenda or "recruitment into the gay lifestyle" that he so freely spews from his pursed lips.

Hey Andrew...can you spell L-I-B-E-L?

Posted by: Keith | Sep 29, 2010 9:51:22 AM

20. This guy comes off as gay and mentally ill. I think this is a case of stalking and should be treated as such.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 29, 2010 9:52:53 AM

21. Hasn't his boss filed an anti-gay amicus brief recently?

Posted by: Chris | Sep 29, 2010 10:01:35 AM

22. I think there's a typo in the second paragraph, saying Shirvell, but meaning Armstrong. When first reading the story I had a hard time keeping straight who's who and so I used this to remember:
    Gay guy = Arm, strong.
    Crazy guy = Shrivel up and blow away.

Posted by: pete | Sep 29, 2010 10:03:58 AM

23. Did anybody's gay-dar go off on Shrivell?

Posted by: Dave | Sep 29, 2010 10:08:31 AM

24. What if Andrew was attacking the first black student body at University of Michigan?

Posted by: JoeInSF | Sep 29, 2010 10:14:30 AM

25. This nutjob's blog is clearly in violation of his host site's Terms of Service. Please go to the blog and take 1 minute to flag it, and maybe he will lose his forum for hate speech. If we are all lucky, he will lose his job shortly as well.

Posted by: William | Sep 29, 2010 10:20:29 AM