Log Cabin Republicans | Melvin Nimer | News | Republican Party | Utah

Log Cabin President Melvin Nimer Chosen as GOP Replacement in Utah State Senate Race

Melvin Nimer, the President of the Utah Log Cabin Republicans and board member of the Utah Pride Center has been chosen by the Utah Republican Party to run against gay-friendly Mormon Democrat Ben McAdams in a state senate race there after McAdams' original opponent, Nancy Davis, failed to rile the appropriate paperwork on time.

Nimer Pride in Utah reports:

"Mel has built a reputation as a hard-core conservative in this state, but also as someone who has tried to build bridges with current elected Republicans like Governor Herbert and slowly persuade them to support LGBT rights. 'The Party called me at 10am this morning,' says Nimer, 'after accepting their nomination I had to have all my paperwork submitted by early this afternoon to make it official.' So why Mel? Why would the Utah Republicans nominate a gay man? 'Well I think it’s precisely because I’m gay,' said Nimer, 'we’ve made a lot of inroads over the years with the party and helped them get many important people elected and this may be the Party’s way of slowly moving [onto the side of equality].'"

ABC4 reports: "Choosing Nimer could help Republicans' chances against Democratic State Sen. Ben McAdams. The person who previously held McAdams' seat was the only openly gay member of the Senate, although Scott McCoy was also a Democrat."

Comments

1. Does anyone else get the impression that gay people are the political 'hail mary' for the various parties now? When then Democrats were out of power they courted us and now the Republicans are so desperate that they are courting us. I say it's time to play some hardball before we give our support out willy nilly to the first candidate that blows kind words our way. We all know how THAT works out. I'm looking at you Obama.

Posted by: MT | Sep 2, 2010 1:22:48 PM

2. The impression I get, once again, is just how sad and pathetic log-cabin homos are. To refer to yourself as a republican nowadays does not mean you are a conservative. The party identity is based on discrimination, hatred, and bigotry, not to mention a christian superiority complex. It is akin to a person of the Muslim faith proudly pronouncing themselves a republican. Aren't log-cabin republicans forbidden by Leviticus anyway?

Posted by: tweedle | Sep 2, 2010 1:47:57 PM

3. The GOP is sweating and it's so nice to see.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 2, 2010 2:06:12 PM

4. I can't imagine why any gay person would identify with the Republican party - they are the party of big business and have basically ruined gay lives for a generation. Are the democrats perfect, no - but at least in my opinion they aren't evil. I would definitely vote for a straight gay friendly democrat before voting for a "gay" republican.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 2, 2010 2:19:34 PM

5. It's perfectly acceptable to vote for a straight gay-friendly Democrat over a gay Republican because of ideological issues, but to use scare quotes around "gay" to refer to a gay Republican is cruel and homophobic.

Like he isn't a real gay person? What made you Queen of the Gays? Because you're gay, you have to support the whole liberal package? It assumes there is a right way to be politically gay, and it traffics in the worst sort of demagoguery and bullying.

Log Cabin Republicans, if elected to office, are not going to vote against gay rights legislation. They view this as consistent with conservative principles. More power to them. And to the commenter who says that it would be unthinkable for Muslims to vote Republicans, I'll remind you that Muslims typically do vote Republican, and Muslim support for Republican candidates only began to erode due to the war. Before it was solid. I easily see the Muslim vote switching back once the wars begin to dissipate in the next few years.

Posted by: Xtabentun | Sep 2, 2010 3:08:50 PM

6. I could care less if a candidate is fond of sleeping with men and is honest about it. What I can’t abide is a Gay Republican, or a Jewish Nazi. I have said it before and I will say it again: The GOP is a fraud. There are only two kinds of Republicans, those with real wealth and power and those that think that if they work hard enough, invest their money and hate the right people that they too can have real wealth and power. No sooner did that fraud Ken Smellman come out of his self-loathing exile then in the next breath he wondered why gays didn’t support some GOP anti-Islamic hate group, he had no regrets. That’s all they’ve got. Hate and division. I’m not a one issue voter. You’ll have to do a lot better then tell me that you suck cock to get my support. Tell me and show me that you’ll work to undo the grievous harm done by the Citizens United ruling and maybe I’ll listen. Show me that you'll bring jobs back to America. No wait, if you’re a Republican I’d sooner slit my wrist then vote for the party that has slit the throat of the middle class American.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 2, 2010 6:09:36 PM

7. A couple of years ago at a gay rodeo in Phoenix, our group had a booth next to the log cabin folks.

It was hilarious to watch people turn the corner, see them, wince, step to the other side of the aisle, try not to look but actually look out the corner of their eye, look skyward and roll their eyes, and then come back to the right side of the aisle after safely passing them by a respectable distance. I don't think I saw a single person stop and engage them in anything other than "WTF man?" conversations.

It might have well been a booth for the National Association for Child Murders, Molesters and Puppy Kickers. Sad, very very sad.

Posted by: Craig | Sep 2, 2010 7:07:44 PM

8. Any so-called minority group or demographic who are known to solidly support a given political party and ideology are asking to be screwed over. They will and routinely are taken advantaged of.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 3, 2010 5:04:43 AM

9. That should read 'advantage' not 'advantaged', for all the grammar queens.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 3, 2010 5:09:59 AM

10. BOTH the Republican Party AND the Democratic party are partys of big business, notwithstanding the Democratic Party's posturing as the friends of labor ever sibce the Roodevelt era. The Democratic Party has the shameful record of having supported the South during the Civil War. While I cannot support either party, I do recognize that while the Democratic Party can be correctly labled as The Party of Slavery, the Republican Party can proudly wear the mantle of The Party of Lincoln.

Posted by: John Adams | Oct 12, 2010 3:07:39 PM

11. BOTH the Republican Party AND the Democratic party are partys of big business, notwithstanding the Democratic Party's posturing as the friends of labor ever since the Roosevelt era. The Democratic Party has the shameful record of having supported the South during the Civil War. While I cannot support either party, I do recognize that while the Democratic Party can be correctly labled as The Party of Slavery, the Republican Party can proudly wear the mantle of The Party of Lincoln.

Posted by: John Adams | Oct 12, 2010 3:09:43 PM