Watch: Lady Gaga's 'DADT' Speech in Portland, Maine

Richardson_gaga
(photo terry richardson)

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network and Lady Gaga today held a rally to pressure Maine Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins to end a GOP filibuster on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Watch Lady Gaga's speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Gaga: "Equality is the prime rib of America. But because I'm gay I don't get to enjoy the greatest cut of meat my country has to offer."

The AP:

"More than 2,000 people attended a rally at Deering Oaks Park, where the Grammy Award-winning singer stood alongside Air Force, Army and Marine veterans who were discharged because of the policy, which prohibits service members from revealing if they're gay and recruiters from asking about people's sexual orientations. Lady Gaga railed against what she called the injustice of having goodhearted gay soldiers booted from military service while straight soldiers who harbor hatred toward gays are allowed to fight for their country. She suggested a new policy should target straight soldiers who are 'uncomfortable' with gay soldiers in their midst. 'Our new law is called 'If you don't like it, go home!' she said."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has scheduled a vote for tomorrow at approximately 2 pm.

Already there are rumblings that Reid will set aside a final vote on the Defense bill until after the midterms.

Watch (in two parts, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ladygagarally

Comments

1. That was awesome!

Posted by: KevinVT | Sep 20, 2010 5:31:12 PM

2. she got a little televangelist, but she rocked--glad im home because poor little portland is shut down right now

Posted by: kevwyn | Sep 20, 2010 5:31:12 PM

3. Loved the extra large frames and ill fitting suit, very DC chic.

Posted by: Thomas | Sep 20, 2010 5:48:35 PM

4. Si se puede!

Posted by: Clark | Sep 20, 2010 6:34:25 PM

5. I had no idea Lady Gaga was gay. Has she come out as gay before today?

Posted by: GregV | Sep 20, 2010 6:42:44 PM

6. @GREGV, in an interview with Barbara Walter she said she identified as bisexual.

Posted by: Thomas | Sep 20, 2010 6:48:38 PM

7. She'll say anything. And really? The meat reference? She doesn't need to worry about what cut she can get as she wears it at her leisure. So self-indulgent to use a metaphor for political puprose that reflects her vapid "artistry".

Posted by: Alex N | Sep 20, 2010 6:57:48 PM

8. I literally cannot see how anyone in our community can construe this to be a negative thing. She's informed, she's young, she's got an unbelievably massive platform, and she's worshipped by young people (GLBT and hetero) across the world and she is energizing an entire generation to get involved - not to donate money, not to buy her products, but to ACT.

The fact that she's got promotion deals out the ass and still speaks up for equality, quite brazenly, is just icing on the cake.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 20, 2010 6:58:53 PM

9. @Alex N. Her self-indulgence is also spreading the good word for your eventual equality. I realize you're not a famous pop star with a massive platform, but could you set aside your jealousy for a moment to at least appreciate that?

Posted by: Wes | Sep 20, 2010 7:01:10 PM

10. I love you Gaga!

Posted by: ronnykmarshall | Sep 20, 2010 7:43:00 PM

11. Her political outfit is too cute.

Her message and activism is even better.

Posted by: Joe | Sep 20, 2010 8:13:22 PM

12. I applaud her efforts. She has backed up words with action. There is, however, always the danger of a celebrity's words being taken out of context and of doing more harm than good.

Posted by: pietro | Sep 20, 2010 8:25:56 PM

13. I'm with Dan Choi... can we get her to run for President? Or at least explain to the President what "fierce advocate" means? Because seriously, I was pretty equivocal about her at first, but damn if she didn't win me over with the follow-through, even rearranging her tour to do stuff like this. You go, Gaga.

Posted by: Jason | Sep 20, 2010 8:26:37 PM

14. Prime Rib? Cafeteria? What the hell is she talking about?! I see where she means well but the whole "song and dance" she does ruins anything good she is trying to do.

Posted by: Daveny | Sep 20, 2010 8:27:49 PM

15. Seems to me there are a lot of self-hating queers here!!! Lady Gaga is fighting for your rights people!! WTF have you lazy asses done to fight against DADT? Do you realize her army of Twitter fans have basically done more in the last few weeks to get this debate moving forward than most of our leaders?!! I just don't get the cynicism!!!

Posted by: Sean | Sep 20, 2010 8:29:39 PM

16. I called all the Senators who are noncommittal on breaking the filibuster today. I had trouble getting through to all of them but never did get in touch with Senator Snowe. The House switchboard operator told me that her office had received well over 10,000 calls today and that, in farce, her toll free line CRASHED!!! To me this proves that Lady Gaga's campaign is working?

Posted by: Sean | Sep 20, 2010 8:58:25 PM

17. I agree! As a gay man who runs a restaurant in the deep south I say if you don't like it get the fuck out to all straight employees!

Posted by: Ken Atkins | Sep 20, 2010 10:47:12 PM

18. She is kick fucking ass
    Go girl
    She could teach that equivocating bs artist obama
    A few things about having some fucking courage of convictions
    Amazing and fucking fierce.
    Love her
    LG has six million followers on twitter
    This is power
    Power to alter the debate
    I was impressed as hell by her speech
    She is what?
    Amazing

Posted by: captain underpants | Sep 20, 2010 10:48:41 PM

19. GaGa ohh La La....here's a staunch advocate!

Posted by: John Normile | Sep 20, 2010 11:10:39 PM

20. Fuck. Yeah.

If you don't like it then GO HOME.

I didn't think it was possible, but I this makes me love her even more.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Sep 20, 2010 11:57:51 PM

21. I don't believe that not swooning over cartoonish activism makes me or anyone else who finds her inauthentic a self-loathing homosexual or guilty of a lack of personal activism. That is precisely where this gets lost on me. I would rather see a homosexual's voice heard than a female pop star, and I am entitled to find her discourse naive without it reflecting negatively upon my character. I do not find her eloquent and her charm is lost on me. The implication that I am jealous of her fame and therefore cynical is absurd. I am cynical because I don't find her activism to be all that effective. Calling these senators has very little effect. I am certain no conservative is being swayed by her very unserious self or her army of twitter followers...

Posted by: Alex N | Sep 21, 2010 12:02:50 AM

22. So in other words, our dear Alex N wants Lady Gaga to stop fiercely advocating on our behalf, so that Joe Solomonese won't be drowned out.

Get outta here! No really. Get outta here.

Posted by: Kurt | Sep 21, 2010 12:15:13 AM

23. Say what you will about Stefani, but she's got more balls than 98% of you Mary's.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Sep 21, 2010 12:21:57 AM

24. @Alex N Not swooning. Recognizing it for what it is. You don't seem to realize what effect she is/could be having on the uninitiated or previously apathetic (see also: youth).

Having worked for political advocacy groups and lobbyist organizations, I can confidently say that constituents calling and having conversations with their legislators is ABSOLUTELY effective at creating change. And I'll say that people who sit on the sidelines saying that engaging conservatives in real conversation about these issues is ineffective are precisely the people who do not involve themselves to actually see the change happen. Not that it's instant, but people change.

Besides running for office ourselves, how else do you expect change to be created? Unfortunately, it's not a reality for the millions of young people who "follow" Gaga to run for office. Calling their legislators is, quite honestly, the most effective thing they can do at this point beyond not serving in the military themselves.

And I'm sorry, but I'll never discount a straight (or "bisexual") ally as a less-valuable advocate for my equality. I think to exclude or devalue heterosexual voices calling for LGBT rights is a sad mistake. I, too, would love to see a homosexual using their platform to spread pro-gay rhetoric. Unfortunately... I don't.

I'm just not a fan of anyone who finds any form of activism effective. Perhaps I'm too much of an idealist, but the fact that someone is doing SOMETHING (and this, to me is more than that) is applaudable, when too few are doing nothing.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 21, 2010 12:23:00 AM

25. No Kurt. I won't get out of here. Your intolerance of other people's opinions says more about you than anything I have said reveals about me. However, I do understand your point of view, and I am glad you remain passionate. Joe Solomonese is not someone I would choose as my advocate either, but clearly the simplification that accompanies his indictment by semi-aware people such as yourself is not extended to meat metaphors mixed with fashion statements and a schizophrenic Patti Smith impersonation. Now there is a woman who knows how to use words. Go figure as to why I am in dismay! I imagine this response will only enrage you further, which really isn't my intention and so on a personal level, I apologize for this in advance of your Lady Gaga-inspired aneurysm.

Posted by: Alex N | Sep 21, 2010 12:30:09 AM