50 Cent | News

50 Cent Responds To 'Anti-Gay' Tweet Controversy

50-cent-picture-5-1 Rapper 50 Cent caused a stir yesterday, when he sent out a questionable tweet about oral sex.

Many, including this editor, read the missive as homophobic, and the LGBT group Truth Wins Out demanded 50 Cent explain himself. Well, now he has. Here's the musician's response, condensed, yet unedited, from three tweets:

The other night I made a joke about a blow job. My male followers enjoyed it. So I then went on to joke about women receiving the same….Some how they turned a simple joke about oral sex into a anti gay statement. I have nothing against people who choose and alternative life...Style in fact iv publicly stated my mom loved women.

Glad it was all a misunderstanding, Mr. Cent, although, just a note, LGBT people don't "choose" a "lifestyle."

I've included the entire Twitter series AFTER THE JUMP...

50tweet1

50tweet2

50tweet3

50tweet4

Comments

1. Is this the same asshole that said he was going to shoot up a gay wedding?

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 1, 2010 1:11:17 PM

2. Oh, right, it is. ASSHOLE.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 1, 2010 1:12:20 PM

3. I don't buy any apology from anyone who refers to being gay as "choosing an alternative lifestyle." I'm sure his publicist put him up to that and if it were up to him he would have tweeted about murdering all the fags who took it the wrong way. Go away.

Posted by: Aron | Oct 1, 2010 1:14:33 PM

4. His mom is a lesbian?

Posted by: mike128 | Oct 1, 2010 1:15:45 PM

5. I agree with the gents who have already commented: this sorry explanation doesn't absolve him of the homophobic statements that he's made in the past. I wonder how many booty warriors this ape met in prison? He needs to be in a fucking cage at the zoo with the other primates.

Posted by: veg | Oct 1, 2010 1:17:32 PM

6. 50Cent cannot hide what he is: cheap n'dumb.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger, Switzerland | Oct 1, 2010 1:20:02 PM

7. This is the same very gay looking guy who posted his shots from working out in the extra tight tee shirt...

Posted by: MAK | Oct 1, 2010 1:20:46 PM

8. Why print anything this idiot says? Does it really matter what this douche thinks? His music sucks and his pathetic need for attention makes him even creepier. Ignore the goat, it'll wander back into the woods and get eating by wolves.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 1, 2010 1:24:58 PM

9. pathetic.

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | Oct 1, 2010 1:25:31 PM

10. Well that explains it all, right? One big mistake? I guess I am not his follower since I didn't laugh. Our global society is simply too money driven and pay to much money and attention to people in show business.

Posted by: Matt26 | Oct 1, 2010 1:27:52 PM

11. Although 50 cent has made some major missteps in the past, this was really much ado about nothing. The whole exchange was directed toward straight men, clearly.

Posted by: Marty | Oct 1, 2010 1:30:06 PM

12. I guess the C-word gets blocked by Towleroad's comment filter. LOL

To paraphrase my censored comment... Vag, I felt a little bad for shitting on you the other day, but I appreciate you resolving me of that. Kindly go fuck yourself.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 1, 2010 1:33:39 PM

13. This is absurd. Marty's right.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 1, 2010 1:34:06 PM

14. Did this guy ever go to school? Is English not his first language? Or, is grammatical ignorance a virtue in this circle?

Posted by: copyeditor | Oct 1, 2010 1:44:40 PM

15. What A docuhe!

Also I'm pretty sure when Aaron Mcgruder wrote the boondocks episode about the gay rapper it was about him.

Posted by: CountBelvedere | Oct 1, 2010 1:45:35 PM

16. Drop the fuck dead you pile of shit.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Oct 1, 2010 1:50:45 PM

17. Boondocks mention! Woot! Not to change the subject (but to change the subject, because this one's a lost cause), but this is a sicker, though simpler, beat than that ducksauce streisand hit...and apparently, it was mixed specifically for one episode.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 1, 2010 1:51:07 PM

18. God, I didn't believe that his intent was to be anti-gay from jump and I thought this particular tweet was a bunch of unnecessary hype about bullshit but good Lawd, that man needs a remedial English tutor.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Oct 1, 2010 1:53:12 PM

19. Oh, Mr. Cent, we remember your previous, "supportive" statements about gays when you spoke of your mom loving women.

You said that your mom loved women and that was cool. Women with women was "cool" and "hot" but gay men? "Disgusting faggots!"

Falling back on your record is probably not the smartest thing you could do. There again, saying/doing the smartest thing has NEVER been your style.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 1, 2010 1:56:23 PM

20. Yeah, commenting about his mother being a lesbian...

I have a cousin (who was like a brother to me at one point) who is a homophobe (i.e. he quoted Leviticus on me and the Sodom and Gomorrah story, etc., etc., ad nauseum) who has a gay son and he hides behind his son whenever I challenge him about his homophobia.

To me, that's really nothing more and nothing less than the "I have gay friends" bullshit.

And it's weak.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Oct 1, 2010 2:03:37 PM

21. I'm pretty sensitive to homophobic comments and will almost always call them out when I hear them, but in this case I really don't think he intended the tweet to be homophobic. He may be homophobic otherwise, but this case is better described as heteronormative. I mean, just read the original tweet. Why would you have to specific someone's age as over 25 to count as being gay? I think his idea was that if you are that old and can't pleasure your woman (i.e., you lack a certain amount of sexual maturity), then you ought to kill yourself -- the assumption being that the men reading it are all heterosexual.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 1, 2010 2:10:44 PM

22. *specific --> specify

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 1, 2010 2:13:40 PM

23. Wow... idiots and cash - a dangerous combination.

Posted by: Tre | Oct 1, 2010 2:15:54 PM

24. Gay men are also MALE as well, jeez. Male fans are not wholly heterosexual...

50 cent: you're digging a bigger hole for yourself - so just stop tweeting!

Posted by: Sean R | Oct 1, 2010 2:28:02 PM

25. 50 Cent has just been marked down to a penny.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 1, 2010 2:31:15 PM