Anderson Cooper | Clint McCance

Dr. Phil Lambastes Clint McCance's 'Non-Apology Apology'

Philcooper
On Anderson Cooper's 360, Dr. Phil dissected Cooper's interview with Clint McCance in which the Arkansas school board member "apologized" for his hateful Facebook posts. Dr. Phil's conclusion: "This isn't really an apology."

He added: "My concern is that, because this is getting so much attention....the downside of it is that gay, lesbian transgender and questioning youth right now can say 'see that's how they really feel' and we drive them further back."

Watch the breakdown of the "apology," AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. GLBT & questioning youth?

this is news to me but i like it!

you go Dr. Phil!

Posted by: mymy | Oct 30, 2010 11:42:03 AM

2. "The words I used were UNFORTUNATE."

The real tragedy here is that a five alram idiot like this ever had anything to do with schools, except perhaps attending one to pick up some education he missed along the way.

And how ironic - the big bully says he doesn't approve of bullying.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Oct 30, 2010 11:55:45 AM

3. I thought that Phil's beginning statements were somewhat weak in that he didn't support his opinion. Fortunately, as the interview progressed, he was very effective and definitive. I hope that those who have posted previously and indicated acceptance of McCance's apology watch this interview. The man deserves the smack-down he got. Christians who see his interpretations as false and evil need to stand up, as Phil did, and shame him for his choices and actions. He needs to be kept uncomfortable, so he may truly learn, and repent. It's what the religious right does to us; I say, fight fire with fire.

Posted by: TJ | Oct 30, 2010 11:57:14 AM

4. Sadly, I have found that many parents are unaccepting and even cruel to their LGBTQ youth. They verbally, mentally and physically abuse them, kick them out on the street, and a whole slew of other things. It is really sad that parents that should love their children unconditionally, would commit such HATE crimes against their own children and unfortunately, this seem to happen more than acceptance!

Posted by: Leesa Nixon | Oct 30, 2010 12:42:03 PM

5. Wow, this is surprising...usually, dr. phil is...wrong...and if not that, so general and bland that his sentences are seldom truth evaluable.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 30, 2010 12:53:12 PM

6. Translation: I'm real sorry I got caught, I'm still a bigot with self-loathing homosexual tendencies that I'm in deep denial about, I suspect my son is gay, and I've never gotten over jerking off with Bobby in Junior High. I sincerely hope all this blows over next year and then I'll run again. Meanwhile I hope nobody notices the immorality of the school district having a cleaning contract with me as vice president of the school board. Man, I'm glad nobody noticed that. I'm really glad that nonsense about being a Christian fools some people. Is that good enough Anderson. Can I go now, please? PLEASE???

Posted by: Craig | Oct 30, 2010 2:21:16 PM

7. I'm not sure how to react here... "Dr" Phil usually says something so boneheadedly stupid that I'm forced to issue a snarky comment but this... Was well thought out and incisive.

DAMN YOU "DR" PHIL! DON'T SCREW WITH MY DELICATE WORLD VIEW! IT'S ALL THAT I HAVE!

Posted by: Scott | Oct 30, 2010 2:35:01 PM

8. Really? I thought Dr. McGraw was full of blah blah blah -- I almost never scream back at the TV, but I was screaming at McGraw. I don't generally watch his program (does he still have a program?) or watch his guest segments, but my impression of his assessment last night was the same as several commenters above said he was USUALLY like. Not that I can defend Mr. McCance, but I just thought Dr. McGraw was off the mark. I've been watching 360 a lot lately, and I'm frustrated that Anderson doesn't seem to think on his feet very well -- or at least he doesn't come up with follow-up questions that I want him to ask. (I just want him to be perfect! Is that so wrong?) For instance, when Mr. McCance said he went too far, I wanted Anderson to ask him, "What would you have considered to be just far enough?" Of course he wouldn't have an answer, but it might make him think about what he just said -- and that was an answer I was interested in hearing him come up with. Back to Dr. McGraw for a minute: when he was doing the litany of LGBTQ, I never heard him say "bisexual" or "B" -- did I just mishear that? Considering that bisexuals are the forgotten "letter of the alphabet," so to speak, it was interesting that he hasn't figured out how to deal with that segment of the community.

Posted by: DougChgo | Oct 30, 2010 3:50:46 PM

9. McCane's kids are doomed. They already know their father's love, if not their security in being a part of that family, is screwed.
    Where's his wife in this mess?

Posted by: Vince B. | Oct 30, 2010 5:17:02 PM

10. I usually loathe Dr Phil, but for once he didn't disappoint. I too thought the 'apology' was pathetic. What I'm more surprised at is the number of fellow queers who've said on numerous msg boards that they thought McCane was sincere. I always thought when you were sincerely apologizing, being direct and honest was the only way to go....not tapdancing around it.

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 30, 2010 6:48:38 PM

11. I appreciate Dr. Phil's new found understanding of homosexuality but HE needs to do some apologizing for far too long being a big part of the problem. He has done a few shows about gay questioning youth with "ex-gay" "ministry" guests selling their lies.

Dr. Phil should show Mr. McCance the proper way to apologize for past anti-gay sins. Then he will have a clean conscience and clean record to continue as an effective gay rights advocate.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 30, 2010 7:09:41 PM

12. @Dougchgo: I wouldn't assume that life for bisexuals in school is without difficulty, but I've seen no evidence yet that it tends to be as hard as for gay or transgendered youth.

After all, bisexuals can have SOME degree of a real dating life in high school and grow up knowing that they MAY be allowed to marry a future partner and be legally treated as equals even under present laws.

It would seem that those facts should at least allow them some degree of greater hope for their lives. And I can't actually think of one example of someone bisexual I have either known or have read about who has attempted suicide over anti-bisexual bullying. If that is common, I think it would become a separate story with somewhat different issues faced.

Posted by: gregv | Oct 30, 2010 7:38:25 PM

13. a pathetic apology from a man appearing to not have a clue of the pain he has called many people this week. He is so disturbed within his own being...no date fighting his own issues on this subject or those of someone in his family..or the fear that his kids may one day say to him, Dad, I need to tell you something. He is filled with struggles... we should pray for his peace.

Posted by: Bobel | Oct 30, 2010 8:19:51 PM

14. But that IS the way they feel Phil. Why make them hide it? Then we're not dealing with the truth and their unconscionable behavior is harder to change.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 31, 2010 12:29:35 PM

15. "Dr. Phil should show Mr. McCance the proper way to apologize for past anti-gay sins."

McCance's remarks did not arise from lack of information on how to apologize. They are the words of a vicious bigot whose own neighbors now shun him, and whose kids are taunted for having a caveman idiot as a father. He's only sorry he got caught.

Posted by: wimsy | Oct 31, 2010 12:35:57 PM

16. When is "Dr." Phil going to apologize for all the mind-numbingly obvious rhetoric he's been spewing all these years to blandly reassure his adoring public that, despite being complete losers, as long as they love themselves, everything will work out okay?

Posted by: anon | Oct 31, 2010 2:08:22 PM

17. Dr. Phil is an opportunist! I recall the debate program he hosted on his show prior to the 2008 vote on Proposition H8. NOM's spokeshole, Maggie Gallagher said LOTS of things that were obvious untruths and Phil let her rant.
    Even HE, must have known the reality from the lies whether he agrees with that hag, Mag, or not!

Posted by: SCVMalcolm | Oct 31, 2010 9:54:35 PM

18. Isn't unfortunate that tar and feathering isn't in Vogue at this time, I would gladly get on a plane, go to Arkansas and light the fire. This idiot resigning isn’t enough, running him out of town or running him out of the country also isn’t enough. I don’t wish death on anyone but a one-way ticket to Iran or Afghanistan would be great. Lets see how well he would do there, as there are no gay people in Iran it would be heaven for him, do we dare to tell him they hate Christians, no let’s no bother.

Posted by: EJ | Nov 1, 2010 7:28:59 PM

19. Isn't it unfortunate that tar and feathering isn't in vogue at this time, I would gladly get on a plane, go to Arkansas and light the fire. This idiot resigning isn’t enough, running him out of town or running him out of the country also isn’t enough. I don’t wish death on anyone but a one-way ticket to Iran or Afghanistan would be great. Lets see how well he would do there, there President of Iran has assured us there are no gay people, it would be heaven for him, do we dare to tell him they hate Christians, no let’s not bother.

Posted by: EJ | Nov 1, 2010 7:33:14 PM