BigGayDeal.com

News: Lana Lawless, Drummer, The Amazon, Yale, Knoxville

Road Thomson Reuters management questions employees about sexual orientation.

RoadMixner on Obama's DADT statements: "As you listened to President Obama on MTV yesterday about DADT, you couldn't help but feel he was whispering sweet nothings into your ear and seeing someone else on the side."

Embry RoadDrummer magazine founder John Embry dies: "Friends said that it is impossible to overstate the importance of Drummer. For the first time, gay men across the country – particularly gay men in small-town America – saw masculine images of themselves and not the stereotypes presented in mainstream media. Through their encounter with Drummer , many gay men realized that there were others like themselves 'out there.' At the same time, the magazine highlighted gay leather bars and businesses and gave those establishments a national venue."

RoadPhotos of Kanye West's bits for sale.

RoadRyan Kwanten suns his pecs.

RoadArson was cause of fire at Knoxville gay club: "Assistant Fire Chief Danny Beeler told The Knoxville News Sentinel investigators have determined the incident Sunday morning at Club XYZ was "a set fire" for which no motive has been established."

Lawless RoadTrans golfer Lana Lawless sues LPGA.

RoadFlorida cops use taser on naked jogger.

RoadSaudi prince accused of murdering servant in London hotel may face death penalty in home country for being gay if deported, court hears.

Road"No means yes. Yes means anal.": Yale Delta Kappa Epsilon frat hazing sparks campus controversy.

RoadTom Cruise on board for Top Gun 2?

RoadBloody biceps!

RoadMadonna in 1990: "When God decided where the beautiful men were going to live in the world, he did not choose Chicago."

RoadDADT Judge Virginia Phillips not an activist, say colleagues: "I think the world of Ginny. She's a wonderful person on a personal level. She's a great judge. She's one of the hardest working people that I know. I like to think that I put in a lot of hours and work hard, but no matter how early I got in or how late I stayed, her car was still there when I left."

RoadEnquirer floats John Travolta video.

Limo RoadNot something I'd kick out of the back of my limo.

RoadJoe Manganiello is off the market.

RoadKathy Griffin to donate salary from upcoming show to The Trevor Project:  "When we hear about these tragic suicides, whether we are a part of this community or not, we feel helpless. We question what we can do and how we can help....Don't worry, the show itself will be my normal offensive material."

RoadJesse Metcalfe collects taxidermy.

RoadBrazil auctioning off the Amazon to timber companies? "It may seem shocking, but according to reports by Reuters, Brazil is preparing to auction off big chunks of the Amazon rainforest to timber companies. By year-end 2.47 millions of acres of forests will go under private management, with 27 million acres privately controlled within five years--that's an area the size of Virginia."

Comments

1. ?? Brazil has been auctioning off the Amazon for decades. Just ask the myriad indigenous populations who have been forced to relocate.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 15, 2010 2:57:25 PM

2. Madonna has a point. I thinks it's to do with the weather.

Posted by: hmmm | Oct 15, 2010 4:21:49 PM

3. The Reuters thing doesn't seem particularly offensive, given the NYGuild article. Considering I participated in the NGLTF's initiative to help bring sexual orientation into the census, I don't think it's inherently bad if Reuters sends out an anonymous survey to its employees asking them, among many other things, what their sexual orientation is. That being said, I have to ask: 1. Is the survey truly anonymous? 2. What's the purpose of the survey?

Posted by: Chris | Oct 15, 2010 6:10:12 PM

4. Surveys such as the one at TR are actually becoming more common in the workplace. There are many benefits, actually. The employer can only help the LGBT workforce if they know who they are and how many of us are out here. The following link has some basic, yet good information regarding the subject. http://outandequal.org/documents/LGBTSelfIdentificationReport.pdf

Posted by: jason | Oct 15, 2010 9:25:56 PM

5. Ahhh... more sage bon mots from the talentless hack Madonna. Sounds like she was bitter from Chicagoans and Midwesterners seeing right through her paper-thin invented persona.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 16, 2010 9:23:12 AM

6. Where I live government regulations bar collecting information about employees sexual orientation. There are groups who want to change the regulations to allow for information gathering and tracking similar to that conducted on race and gender of employees.

Posted by: Charlie | Oct 16, 2010 9:35:55 AM

7. I am an employee of Thomson Reuters and a member of its LGBT employee group. The survey was truly anonymous. It is an annual survey to poll employees on their engagement with the business so the company can identify and track areas for improvement. There was one optional question for employees to self identify their sexual orientation. The LGBT employee organization asked for this question to be included because it is a diversity best practice and will allow the company to implement and measure diversity efforts aimed at its LGBT employees. I don't know why the NY Guild thought this was problematic. And I really don't understand why the Guild believes that Thomson Reuters would better serve its LGBT employees if it emulated the US military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Posted by: Will | Oct 18, 2010 2:12:54 PM