Carl Paladino | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Read: Anti-Gay GOP Teabagger Carl Paladino's Full 'Apology'

Here's the full apology issued by NY GOP teabagger gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino yesterday for his weekend remarks warning of "dysfunctional" homosexuals "brainwashing" children:

Paladino I am Carl Paladino, a father, a husband, a builder and a business owner. I am neither perfect, nor a career politician. I have made mistakes in this campaign - I have made mistakes all my life- as we all have. I am what I am - a simple man who works hard, trusts others, and loves his family and fears for the future of our State.

Yesterday I was handed a script. I redacted some contents that were unacceptable. I did also say some things for which I should have chosen better words. I said other things that the press misinterpreted and misstated. I sincerely apologize for any comment that may have offended the Gay and Lesbian Community or their family members. Any reference to branding an entire community based on a small representation of them is wrong. My personal beliefs are:

1) I am a live and let live person.

2) I am 100% against discrimination of any group. I oppose discrimination of any kind in housing, credit, insurance benefits or visitation.

3) I am 100% against hate crimes in any form.

4) I am in support of civil agreements and equal rights for all citizens.

5) My position on marriage is based on my personal views. I have the same position on this issue as President Barrack Obama. I have previously stated I would support a referendum by New York voters. I have proposed Initiative and Referendum so New Yorkers can decide important issues like this.

6) The portrayal of me as anti-gay is inconsistent with my lifelong beliefs and actions and my prior history as an father, employer and friend to many in the gay and lesbian community.

I am concerned with the future for all our citizens, gay, straight, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and Muslim and Agnostic. Although I am not perfect I do admit my mistakes. I will reach out to leaders of the gay community to educate me on how to better represent my support for the rights of all citizens. If elected as your governor I will stand and fight for all gay New Yorkers rights. I ask you for forgiveness on my poorly chosen words and the publication by others not involved with our campaign of unredacted script that did not reflect my oral statement or match my personal feelings. Please go to my website www.paladinoforthepeople.com to learn more detail about the issues including my staunch support for civil rights for all New Yorkers.

Comments

1. “My position on marriage is based on my personal views. I have the same position on this issue as President Barrack Obama.”

Always nice when they reference the Fierce Advocate® in justifying their bigotry. When will the White House ever get a clue?

Posted by: ichabod | Oct 13, 2010 8:09:38 AM

2. "I sincerely apologize for any comment that may have offended the Gay and Lesbian Community..."

The usual non-apology apology of "I'm sorry if you were offended", i.e. if you were offended, it was your fault. I'm surprised he didn't follow it with the stereotypical "Some of my best friends are gay".

Posted by: dreamfish | Oct 13, 2010 8:23:53 AM

3. In the photo on this post, he looks like he could be related to Pope Benedict.

Posted by: Blake | Oct 13, 2010 8:37:37 AM

4. And now the candidate apologizes for his on-the-record comments and explains that he was simply handed a script to read.

What Mr. Paladino failed to acknowledge in his apology was that the moment a candidate utters bigoted statements as he did he hurts a group of people for the sake of pandering to another. His public support of hatred validated to the electorate that it is perfectly acceptable to lash out against the LGBT community; to personally and legally discriminate, segregate and subjugate.

He further ignored the fact that government-sponsored discrimination continues and that by taking a "live and let live" stance he means that he supports the status quo and will oppose any repeal or change to those discriminatory laws.

In his apology his claim that "[t]he portrayal of me as anti-gay is inconsistent with my lifelong beliefs..." is non sequitur following his earlier declaration that, "I don’t want [children] brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option — it isn’t."

Mr. Paladino can't have it both ways.

Apology not accepted.

Posted by: ozy | Oct 13, 2010 8:46:20 AM

5. "I'm not homophobic -- I'm Catholic!" or "I'm not homophobic -- but dem gay parades are disgusting!" He may be apologizing for the way he said it but not for what he meant: gays are inhumane perverts and a threat to children. This man is not alone in that thinking. It's hard to believe but I felt more hopeful about my future as a gay person 20 years ago than I do now. What the hell is happening to our society?

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 13, 2010 8:50:49 AM

6. so he's just apologizing for not consulting a thesaurus before saying horrible things?

Posted by: clark | Oct 13, 2010 8:54:39 AM

7. "What the hell is happening to our society?" indeed, Patrick. This mid-term election cycle is really bringing out the true beliefs of many politicos in the country, primarily on the GOP/Teabagger side of the equation. HOWEVER, it could be that untold Dems hold many of the same bigoted homophobic opinions but have learned over numerous election periods NOT to voice them publicly in hopes of getting our GLBT votes and dollars. The proof of the latter is in the almost total non-action on passing GLBT civil rights issues by the Obama administration and the Democratic congressional majority. Once the Democratic fund raising organizations find out the gATM truly is closing to their fund-raising appeals, perhaps more of them will feel they can speak more openly about how they truly view us and our issues. We already know the majority on the GOP/Teabaggers side don't like us.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 13, 2010 9:17:06 AM

8. Some apology. This is what self-professed straight shooters get. He needs to simply own up to his own bigotry once it's out there and been said. Trying to get that horse back in the barn is pathetic. Hell, he's pathetic.

I agree that there may be Dems with views just as ugly a set of views, but the majority of that party is more open to acting on something we care about. Do you think political vermin like Paladino would give an inch on his views?? He already knows he'll get no measurable support from anything near LGBT, so there is really nothing to fear getting into office and letting ALL of our issues fall by the wayside.

I agree that using our $$$ as a group to make a statement with any party is a viable tactic, and right now it's only the Dems that will feel the pinch -- and they should.

Posted by: princely54 | Oct 13, 2010 9:28:49 AM

9. Oh no, Carl, you cannot get out of this with a bland forced apology... you cannot erase what you said, certainly not when the core of your statement was "I don’t want [children] brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option — it isn’t."

Do you believe that or do you not? Go through statement for statement what you said at the press conference, and state if you agree with each, or it's all just (the usual) lip-service.

Oh, and while you are about it, since you believe in total equality, why not come and speak at a gay meeting and read from prepared talking points by Dan Savage about the how religion is responsible for homophobia, cruelty and discrimination in society? Of course you won't, because that is not the brand of pandering that you like now is it, mister 'I care about gays'... What bullshit.

Sorry, but the essence of your beliefs about gays is bigoted, Carl, apology NOT accepted!

Posted by: CKNJ | Oct 13, 2010 9:42:34 AM

10. So after three full days of vociferously defending his comments, standing by them and explaining that he "speaks from the heart", now he is offering a "sincere" apology?

And even in this "apology" he contradicts himself by saying that he is 100% for discrimination but against full marriage rights for gays. He doesn't even support Civil Unions or Domestic Partnerships; he's said he would VETO any legislation that would make them legal. Notice that he says that he supports "Civil agreements", which means that he supports our right to go into private contracts. Well FUCK YOU very much Paladino for "supporting" our right to enter into private contracts. Would you also like to announce your support for our "right" to own property, drive cars and vote?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 13, 2010 9:44:39 AM

11. I have to admit that I am a bit torn on your coverage of any and all members of the Tea Party. The term "Tea Baggers" could be labeled as highly provocative and hateful just as "Faggot" is to the gay community. Why resort to name calling? It just causes the vicious circle of hatred and name calling to continue. It sounds childish and doesn't seem to help the cause at all.

Posted by: Clay | Oct 13, 2010 10:05:51 AM

12. Did he just equate printing what he said as an offense equal to actually saying it ?

Yes he did.

What a Republican ass.
    But then they ALL are assholes for one reason or another. When it comes to Republicanism - since they turned away from being socially progressive and turned socially conservative for votes in 1969 they have all been assholes for supporting this morally corrupt political party.

Posted by: rjp3 | Oct 13, 2010 10:43:01 AM

13. If Paladino didn't write the words that got him into trouble, why should anybody think he wrote these?

Posted by: anyway | Oct 13, 2010 11:03:54 AM

14. How does he reconcile "live and let live" with limiing full equality and access for all citizens?

Posted by: HellsKitchen | Oct 13, 2010 11:07:23 AM

15. "Civil agreements" aren't equal rights!

Posted by: Mike | Oct 13, 2010 11:19:05 AM

16. In the photo on this post, he looks like he could be related to Pope Benedict.

POSTED BY: BLAKE
    .......................
    Nice catch, he also appears to be thinking, where's my pointy hat? While he reaches up and touches his head.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 13, 2010 11:32:14 AM

17. let me apologize for reading words written by one bigot for another and not thinking what i am saying does that really inspire you to vote for this man. makes you think of the old nixon i am not a crook speach.and as for the rabbis who wrote this i wish them a severe case of bed bugs in their dirty whiskers and itch them to death

Posted by: walter | Oct 13, 2010 1:32:09 PM

18. About his personal beliefs:

1) Paladino is not a live and let live person if he refuses to allow two people to get married just because HE think it's icky.

2) He says he opposes discrimination, and yet he supports the "separate but equal" doctrine which is just an indirect form of discrimination.

3) I bet he'd like to beat up a couple of fags.

4) Heterosexuals being able to marry while gay people are not isn't equal rights.

5) Who cares, Obama is a dickhead just like Paladino.. Also, if straight people are allowed to vote on legalizing gay marriage, why aren't gay people allowed to vote on making heterosexual marriage illegal? Again, it's not EQUAL rights if EVERYONE doesn't have them.

6) Paladino's prior history proves he's a homophobe. For example, I don't know, maybe when he said something about gay people being dysfunctional and brainwashing children..? Besides, if Paladino really has any gay or lesbian friends, they must be retarted or have a really low self-esteem to want to have anything to do with him.

On a side note
    - Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it "a father", not "an father"?
    - Like the others already commented, he looks like Joseph Natzinger. Which alone says a lot about him.
    - When you want to apologize to someone through a letter, at least write it yourself.

Posted by: Chris K | Oct 13, 2010 1:53:00 PM

19. there's a difference between being imperfect and being an asshole

Posted by: r | Oct 14, 2010 3:53:45 AM

20. It's an extraordinary strategy - to make offensive comments and then backtrack by saying you're "not homophobic". For me Dubya's thing of saying "Well, we're all sinners." was a good deal more canny - i.e. "I'm not going to get all Pharisaical about it, but I still think homosexuality is wrong", in other words reassuring his people and winding up the whackos even without actually saying anything they could throw back at him.

Posted by: Victory of Faith | Oct 14, 2010 8:41:44 AM