Carl Paladino | New York | News | Tea Party | Teabagger | Yehuda Levin

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rabbi Yehuda Levin Discusses Paladino Defection, Defends Anti-Gay 'Brainwashing' Remarks

Yehuda_levin

Rabbi Yehuda Levin, who helped write NY gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino's remarks about "dysfunctional" homosexuals "brainwashing" children, broke with Paladino yesterday after hearing the Tea Party candidate's apology.

The NYT reports:

"Rabbi Levin said that he considered the apology a betrayal, and that he pined for the “old Carl” who spoke from his heart rather than bending to political whims. Rabbi Levin said he was especially upset that Mr. Paladino gave him no notice that he planned to back away from the comments. 'I was in the middle of eating a kosher pastrami sandwich,' Rabbi Levin said. 'While I was eating it, they come running and they say, ‘Paladino became gay!’ I said, ‘What?’ And then they showed me the statement. I almost choked on the kosher salami.'"

Levin appeared on The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, and defended the term "brainwashing" with regard to children being taught about gay people in a contentious debate with Rabbi David-Seth Kirshner on the Jewish religion and gay people.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "I almost choked on the kosher salami"

Wow. Just wow. How appropo.

What a closet case.

Posted by: Jack | Oct 14, 2010 10:26:02 AM

2. Yehuda Levin is a deranged, bigotted lunatic (no offence to lunatics intended!)

Posted by: Martin Murray | Oct 14, 2010 10:26:10 AM

3. Is this a news segment from the Onion? Choking on salami? LOL!

Posted by: joe | Oct 14, 2010 10:32:06 AM

4. So...what was it salami or pastrami? Or both?...dang he must love his sammies. lol

Posted by: FreddyMertz | Oct 14, 2010 10:33:53 AM

5. OMG, is this man to be taken seriously?

Posted by: Rob | Oct 14, 2010 10:39:35 AM

6. "they say, ‘Paladino BECAME gay!’"

I'll just leave this here to speak for itself

Posted by: ravewulf | Oct 14, 2010 10:40:39 AM

7. Not claiming that it is, but that quote sounds completely fabricated.

Posted by: Bastian | Oct 14, 2010 10:42:52 AM

8. Ravi Levin...you will never get to choke on my Salami!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Oct 14, 2010 10:42:52 AM

9. I live in New York. I have had many, many dealings with Orthodox Jews. They smell bad because they only bathe and change clothes a couple of times a week, since their wardrobe is limited to religiously approved clothing - they all wear the same thing. They make their wives dress with no makeup, wigs, and form concealing dresses, so they won't be attractive to any other men but their husbands, yet the husbands go to strip clubs and prostitutes. Some hookers in NY have reported that Hassidic Jews are their #1 clients. Yet they demand sexual purity from their wives, who all work only in the home and raise children. They are 100% antigay - should a child should be a "fagaleh" or marry outside of the Jewish faith, they're disowned.

Try to have an argument with one of them - it's like arguing with the wall. They are the chosen people and everyone else is heathen. It's extreme religion and any disagreement with their views is seen as anti-Semitic. They're absolutely impossible, and dealing with them tells you all you need to know about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

These are my own observations of course, but even the reformed and conservative Jews I know can't stand them.

Posted by: Fred | Oct 14, 2010 10:47:46 AM

10. @Fred I'm Jewish and I 100% agree with everything you said. Religious extremism is ugly no matter what religion it is.

Posted by: Aron | Oct 14, 2010 10:52:32 AM

11. If I read news reports correctly, it's largely American Orthodox settlers who go to Israel and insist on being settled on land claimed by Palestinians. Many Israelis are prepared to make accomodations so they can enjoy a bit of peace but these folks stir antagonisms and complicate a political process that secular Israelis would like to move forward. Like fanatical Muslims, they are not going to be gay friendly--nor respectful of anybody else.

Posted by: CoMo'mo | Oct 14, 2010 10:54:39 AM

12. "I almost choked on the kosher salami."
    Come on rabbi, just because you can't do it right on the first try is no reason to give up and throw around accusations of brainwashing.

I'd think religion in general would want to stay far away from the topic of brainwashing children anyway.

I love that they don't seem to even know what gay is except a vague notion that it opposes them.

Posted by: Shawn | Oct 14, 2010 10:55:52 AM

13. I say, if Rabbi Yehuda Levin wants to choke on a kosher salami, it's nobody's business but hers.

Posted by: TPL | Oct 14, 2010 11:09:51 AM

14. Ummm, Does thins guy know we can see him? The thing that struck me most about the Paladino video was "Holy shit why do all those people look so EVIL?"

I mean the fucking SITH don't have shit on them.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 14, 2010 11:25:43 AM

15. just so you all know us gays here in England are not campainging to lower the age of consent for gay sex to 14, just so you know.

Not sure what the Rabbi knows about my country but he is welcome to visit and find out for himself, but we are not looking to allow sex at 14.

Posted by: arch | Oct 14, 2010 11:32:29 AM

16. So, Rabbi Levin's a bigger idiot than Paladino--that's impressive.

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 14, 2010 11:38:37 AM

17. "Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here at the Catskills' number one resort all week..."

Posted by: Jim | Oct 14, 2010 11:41:56 AM

18. He would probably be horrified to learn if any of his relatives had to stand next to gays when they were gassed in the showers by Hitler. People never learn from history...

Posted by: wonderboi | Oct 14, 2010 11:43:13 AM

19. FRED I too am a life long NYC resident, over 50 years, and have worked with the hasidic on W47th's Diamond district for over thirty years. I can back you up 100%. There was a gay bath house off 8th Ave I'd see them come out of when I was getting on the subway.

I also lived on 10th and 28th, a popular spot for the working girls. On Sundays it was kosher special, the day after the Sabbath, while their wives were taking care of the kids and homes, these pricks were getting their pricks worked on. Funny thing was I'd sit by the window having my morning tea and dishing with my friends and I'd see the girls get in and out of cars in just minutes.

I was always friendly with the girls so I asked them why so fast, they told me the guys were so worked up they could hardly get it out of their pants before shooting.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 14, 2010 11:45:51 AM

20. best question ever on a political chat show : "did you know about the beastiality ?"

that is a question that will likely as not never be asked again on tv.

Posted by: arch | Oct 14, 2010 11:48:10 AM

21. Not only did he almost choke on a salami, but he says he was "pining" for the Carl he used to know because of his "betrayal"?

Not watched the video, but I assume Rabbi Yehuda then went on to say that this was just like how that little bitch Anne Baxter betrayed Bette Davis in "All About Eve"?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Oct 14, 2010 12:02:11 PM

22. Dude,
    I know how he feels; that happened to me once or twice........

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 14, 2010 12:08:48 PM

23. Question, does being Orthodox mean you can't have dental work done?

I wouldn't let this guy tell me how to live my life, raise my kids, even how to park a car. He's disgusting and indoctrinated in his own victimization and hatred to anyone who isn't well, him. And I imagine that even 90%+ of Jews can't relate to him.

But if Paladino simply read something that someone else wrote for him...like a hostage with a gun to his head, he shouldn't be a running for anything other than the guy who picks up elephant shit at the circus.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 14, 2010 12:15:15 PM

24. ..and attitudes from assholes like this are the reason that gay teens are killing themselves. These are extremist religious fanatics and they should be held accountable for all of the damage and harm they cause in the world. See you in Hell, Rabbi...

Posted by: Tre Gibbs | Oct 14, 2010 12:30:45 PM

25. I don't see anywhere that he is an accredited rabbi.

I think he may just be claiming to be one.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Oct 14, 2010 12:47:44 PM