Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | Music | Music Video | News | Tom Goss

Watch: Soldiers Discharged Under 'DADT' Star in Tom Goss' New Music Video 'Lover'

Lover

Singer-songwriter Tom Goss has released a new video for his song "Lover" which tells the story of gay service members killed in battle and the partners they leave behind:

"The video features Goss as the bereaved partner of an army soldier (DC actor Ben Horen) killed while on duty in Afghanistan. Among those playing medics who come to the aid of the wounded soldier are several former servicemembers who were discharged under the military's 'don't ask, don't tell' policy: Mike Almy, David Hall, and Danny Hernandez, all of whom are active members of SLDN. Keith Bryant stars as a fellow soldier. The video, Goss's fourth, was filmed in DC and Alexandria. is being directed by DC residents Aram Vartian and Michael Key of DC; Dylan Comstock is director of photography."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hilarious! "Luvvah"

Posted by: Jim | Nov 18, 2010 12:08:14 PM

2. OMG I laughed out loud several times during this. Am I a bad person?

Posted by: Mike | Nov 18, 2010 12:17:20 PM

3. He's like a US James Blunt.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 18, 2010 12:25:50 PM

4. No Mike you are not a bad person, now come here and let me squeeze you deeply deeply deeply into my ample bosom.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 18, 2010 12:28:05 PM

5. I "lol'd" too. Especially, when he tried to eat the other guys face. And that there is 1:26 of credits.

Posted by: Dan4444 | Nov 18, 2010 12:52:32 PM

6. This is a beautiful, poignant video. Tom did an amazing job! Share it on Facebook... I did! Send it to your friends and relatives. I did! Let the right wing know we're not going to take their crap. If you get a chance to meet Tom or see him perform, do it!! He's a great guy with a real conscience.

Posted by: Gene | Nov 18, 2010 12:54:06 PM

7. Personally, I did not find humor in it, or a reason to belittle the video, but I guess it takes all kinds. I thought it was a great video and I really appreciate Tom (and the discharged servicemembers that took part in the video) for making it! I like the song too!

Posted by: CKNJ | Nov 18, 2010 1:00:04 PM

8. The gay audience is one tough audience to please. I admire what they were all trying to do in this vid for this cause. Yes the acting /directing was amateurish but somehow that makes me like it even more because it's real people doing something genuine to make a difference.

Posted by: Geoff | Nov 18, 2010 1:19:49 PM

9. I've never been a huge fan of the word "lover" and I thought the video was a bit over the top, but I appreciate the sentiment and the message.

Posted by: james | Nov 18, 2010 1:21:13 PM

10. While I thought the song itself is a bit sappy, and I would never listen again, the message is a good one. Especially with the right wing doing all it can to kill DADT. Mind you I think Obama and the democrats have as much to blame on this, the GOP runs against our rights, the democrats just don't give a shit.

DADT will pass in time, sorry I wont be around to see it though.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 18, 2010 1:21:25 PM

11. the idea gets an A, the execution: B-

Posted by: joe | Nov 18, 2010 1:31:05 PM

12. The director, Aram Vartian, is the one that was attacked..http://www.towleroad.com/2010/11/metroweekly-videographer-hit-by-anti-gay-assault.html

Posted by: Donald | Nov 18, 2010 1:36:53 PM

13. Dudes, lighten up on the hard assed sniggering.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 18, 2010 2:54:17 PM

14. What the fuck is with you guys? LOL???? At what? This is a sad rendition of what it's really like for gay couples. I bet not one of you fucking clowns were ever in the military or loved a military man. Grow the fuck up and appreciate this for what it is: a depiction of real life, love and loss. Sometimes, I'm ashamed of being gay and not because I like dick.

Posted by: John | Nov 18, 2010 3:20:05 PM

15. He's like a US James Blunt.

POSTED BY: TIM | NOV 18, 2010 12:25:50 PM

*******************

Am I the only guy who thinks James Blunt is kinda cute? I even like his alleged 'posh' accent.

Although he does sing like a little girl.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 18, 2010 5:14:01 PM

16. Beautiful song ( but I can understand why some people might be laughing at the video- the opening split screen did not work and the scenes with the wounded soldier did not look real enough) still very nice song.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 18, 2010 6:40:51 PM

17. I'm crying my eyes out, and we never seem to
    make a difference. We have so much love in us, but would ever let it help us in over-
    coming all the hate, we have to endure so
    much.

Posted by: terryp | Nov 18, 2010 7:06:13 PM

18. As a military man myself, and being in a relationship with a deployment here on the horizon, I can't wait for that moment when i can come home to my guy and see his face. I haven't even left yet, but I long for that return moment.

bit of a cheesey video, but the point was valid. every guy and gal who goes through military relationships knows it's not an easy one. and even those times when you aren't deployed, and you just come home like any other day...when you come home and your guy or gal is waiting there for you, it's pretty freakin' awesome.

Posted by: will | Nov 18, 2010 7:35:26 PM

19. Have loved Tom since I saw him in Portland last year--he's a total sweetheart. His whole CD is very good, and I thought this was a lovely video with many touching moments. (Check out his video "Till The End" on YouTube.)

Posted by: Dback | Nov 19, 2010 12:10:46 AM

20. I cried. It's the message that counts; not the lack of perfection in the video.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Nov 19, 2010 7:53:59 PM

21. only semi talented...

Posted by: alan brickman | May 11, 2011 10:37:21 AM