Comments

1. says

I don’t care if Anderson ever comes out to his fan base. He’s already out to the people in his life that matter, and (especially in the last few months) has done more for the LGBT community than any other journalist I can think of, with the possible exception of Rachel Maddow.

2. Joe says

This looks bad. He is so not a television personality, but a news man who can do the occasional fun thing on regis and kelly and other shows.

And I’m not sure how he expects to interview celebs and get personal with people without himself getting personal.

Who convinced him to make this decision. And gross, where’s his suit?

3. Fenrox says

I hope this makes him come out.

@redseven, Yes he has done a lot of LGBTQ people, but if he is gay and stays in the closet on national TV like that, he is sending a mixed message. Not necessarily bad or negative, just mixed.

I would like him out, but whatever makes him happy.

4. Bobo says

Anderson Cooper has no formal journalism training, he studied Political Science and International Relations at Yale and graduated in 1989. He interned for two summers with the CIA. His first story was when he faked a press pass, and shot on a Hi-8 camera interviews with students fighting the Burmese government, which he sold to Channel One, a company that produces news programs for junior high and high schools in the United States. Then his mom got him his job at ABC doing the overnight News, from 2am-5am, he then went on to do reality TV via The Mole. His pretty face got him a job on CNN in 2001. CNN bills AC 360, as a Talk Show.
    He is NOT a journalist, he is a TV personality. So moving into the Daytime area is not so shocking.

5. Ross says

@bobo: You sound so negative. I think it was gutsy and creative for Anderson Cooper to fake a press pass and cover students protesting the Burmese government, and it showed initiative to sell this coverage to a company that provided news to our nation’s students. Students in the US need to see more of this kind of thing.

I give Anderson Cooper credit. A lot of trust fund babies in his place would be living a playboy lifestyle and never doing a minutes work.

6. Bobo says

@Ross…there were two comments posted lamenting that Coopers choice would some how muck up his journalism credentials…just pointing out that he doesn’t have any, and his 360 show is already considered a talk show by cnn

7. Ryan says

@Bobo There’s no evidence his mother has connections at ABC News. He earned that job after showing initiative, taking risks and going out on his own to make his own breaks.

He didn’t study journalism at Yale, but he does have credentials as a result of about 20 years working in the news industry. He’s worked as a correspondent as a freelancer and for Channel One, ABC News, 20/20 Downtown, CNN and 60 Minutes. He’s performed as an anchor at ABC and CNN. He’s won emmys.

8. Daddolfe says

Come out of the closet. It’s a new era where you can be proud of EVERY aspect of yourself, not be tongue tied when it comes to one aspect of yourself (sexuality)
    People pride themselves in being Latino, in being Woman, in being plus sized, in being an artist, in being any facet about them. Same should go for your sexuality. It shouldn’t be something reserevd for “people in your life” (BS!) but something that if it does come up…SO WHAT.

I don’t take closet cases seriously. Sorry.

9. Josh says

The more AC on tv the better. But I still don’t have any expectations that AC will open up about his own life in order to be more relatable to his audience – he always has a wall up when it comes to talking about himself if it doesn’t somehow relate to his work. I can understand it if he holds back to maintain some privacy, but it’s going to be interesting to see if he’ll be able to handle this type of forum that is sort of dependent on the hosts sharing a piece of their lives with the audience. I can’t imagine Anderson doing that type of thing.

10. Chris says

My impression is that the new show will be an afternoon entertainment. I haven’t seen much (if any) promotion of it, yet, but I can’t imagine that it is going to be considered journalism.

I think the show should have a pretty good shot at success given the current state of mediocrity on the tube.