Watch: Leann Rimes Chokes Up Singing 'The Rose' for Bullied Gay Teens at the Gay Men's Chorus of L.A.

Leann_rimes

On Sunday, Leann Rimes joined the Gay Men's Chorus of L.A. for its holiday concert and got choked up introducing her number, a version of Bette Midler's "The Rose" which she dedicated to bullied gay teens, and those lost to suicide.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Damn. I shouldn't be crying this early in the morning....

Posted by: michael | Dec 22, 2010 10:14:50 AM

2. I love the Chorus - they are amazing. And Leann Rimes has perhaps one of the most beautiful voices (catch her version of Amazing Grace).

But - this was the worst arrangement. It was disjointed and distracting. I kept wanting to hear the chorus sing, then I wanted to hear Leann sing.

They just never brought both together-that would have been perfect.

Posted by: jtramon | Dec 22, 2010 10:19:28 AM

3. WOW. I would have never pegged her for such an LGBT supporter. Very moving.

Posted by: M | Dec 22, 2010 10:20:27 AM

4. I sometimes think that music is the only thing that makes life bearable in this often cruel, heartless, lonely world and this performance is more evidence of why I think that. Well done, very restrained, beautiful singing by the GMCLA and Ms. Rimes.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Dec 22, 2010 10:21:43 AM

5. @ M

Gay bullying has been HUGE news everywhere.

Leanne Rhimes has stolen another mans husband publicly and has been treated like a harlot by all female centric women media.

So if we put 1 + 1 together.....we get...Damage Control!

Which group will take Leanne and over night make her a sudden gay ally? (Where were you Leanne when your career was so HOT?) The Gays!

We're too easy. Oh well. Way to jump the bandwagon.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 22, 2010 10:31:05 AM

6. Leann has LONG been a gay advocate and supporter. Did her album covers carry the rainbow flag? No. But without question or doubt, she supported us LONG before she needed damage control.

Posted by: jason | Dec 22, 2010 10:40:11 AM

7. They all sound great but the arrangement was odd.

Posted by: LJC | Dec 22, 2010 10:54:13 AM

8. Just beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

Posted by: Dale | Dec 22, 2010 11:05:44 AM

9. That was wonderful.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Dec 22, 2010 11:37:24 AM

10. Great performance, terrible arrangement.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 22, 2010 11:39:25 AM

11. No thanks, I am a little tired of every person doing their "just service" for the anti-bulllying rhetoric...it is just another junket on the P.R. road for many of these people...

Posted by: True Words | Dec 22, 2010 12:06:02 PM

12. She sang with the Gay Men's Chorus, of course she was going to make it about bullying. That doesn't mean she's jumping on the bandwagon. She didn't film this and put it out on the internet -- they did.

Leann is a fantastic singer, and it's nice to see someone who was a teen star (who recorded a lot of crap) make her way in the business as a writer (something many country singers aren't).

Posted by: Rob | Dec 22, 2010 12:16:43 PM

13. The arrangement is bizarre, but she does have a lovely voice---and I never thought I'd say something nice about her.

@Rowan: she "stole another man's husband"? I assume you mean "woman's," but in any case it takes two. No one can "steal" someone's partner. And I don't see how singing with a bunch of gay men is damage control for a performer like her.

Coincidentally, this is the first song I learned to play on the piano. My piano teacher chose it for me when I was 7, so I guess she could see the little gay boy inside me. But it didn't get me interested in Bette.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 22, 2010 12:29:15 PM

14. Can't watch... too sad. Thanks, LeAnne

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Dec 22, 2010 12:31:24 PM

15. Great performance. Very enjoyable. Thanks to LeAnne and the Chorus.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 22, 2010 1:53:35 PM

16. I seem to remember her performing at some Republican rallies. In fact, I think she did a family values concert tour a few years back. Plus she supported the anti-gay McCain/Palin ticket in 2008 and even performed at the RNC convention. Blech.

Posted by: Paulie | Dec 22, 2010 2:29:23 PM

17. I love the fact she did this in support of our community. But the musical arrangement seemed strange to me. Perhaps the chorus should've been left out and she should've sang this one solo.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Dec 22, 2010 3:33:15 PM

18. Her sleves didnt go with the dress. Looks like she slapped on some long underwear before going onstage

Posted by: Chloe Love | Dec 22, 2010 4:25:22 PM

19. Beautiful. The ancient Christmas Carol tells the story of a rose short lived in the Cold of Winter. The modern song "The Rose" speaks of love not just for the lucky or the strong but for those whose hearts are afraid of dancing or waking from their dreams. Intertwined those concepts with LGBT suicides and....it is beautiful.

Posted by: John Duran | Dec 22, 2010 4:35:15 PM

20. Musical experimentation is fine, just like culinary experimentation. Just don't blow up the kitchen. Her opening words were touching. Gay Citizens need all the friends they can get.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 22, 2010 8:29:17 PM

21. How absolutely brilliant to couple "The Rose" with the centuries old chorale "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming." Quite moving and lovely. She is a fine singer and the Men's Chorus sounded spectacular. Bravi tutti!

Posted by: Perry | Dec 23, 2010 1:55:08 AM

22. The arrangement was inspired, the solo fantastic...thank you for caring.

Posted by: bill | Dec 23, 2010 1:19:35 PM

23. Too bad she's fundraising for new House Republicans too... that karmic balance somehow?

Posted by: KevinCQBrady | Dec 27, 2010 11:52:10 PM