Bisexual | Darren Criss | News

Watch: Darren Criss Gets Dripping Wet for 'OUT', Will Explore Bisexuality on 'Glee'

Criss

Darren Criss talks to OUT magazine about his role as Blaine on Glee, and in the article Glee creator Ryan Murphy confirms some rumors that Criss' character Blaine will experiment with women:

Still, all might not be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows in Lima, Ohio. "It’s my job as showrunner to keep them apart as long as possible," says Ryan Murphy. "Blaine will openly question whether bisexuality is real. I think that some people will love that discussion and some will not love it."

He’s even coy about whether they’ll get together at all. "When that moment comes -- if it comes, says Murphy, "I want to treat that relationship like we treat all the other relationships on the show. I want it to be as flawed and as exposed as everyone else’s."

UPDATE: Murphy clarifies to Perez Hilton — "Blaine is NOT bi. He is gay, and will always be gay. I think it's very important to young kids that they know this character is one of them."

One more shot of Criss getting sexy with a sweater, AFTER THE JUMP...

Criss2

Criss3

Comments

1. Is it just me or is anyone else over "Glee" now?

Posted by: Brent | Feb 14, 2011 11:28:24 AM

2. Totally over Glee; totally not over Darren Criss. /swoon

Posted by: Geoff in TO | Feb 14, 2011 11:35:11 AM

3. Thank you sweet Jesus.

Posted by: Chuy | Feb 14, 2011 11:37:28 AM

4. Oh, my. Speaking of dripping . . .

If my high school mates (most of whom weren't 24, alas) had looked like this, I probably would have burst into flames.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 14, 2011 11:40:33 AM

5. I was never with Glee in the first place, so it's easy for me to be over it.

Posted by: WJS | Feb 14, 2011 11:42:01 AM

6. I'm a Total Gleek.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 14, 2011 11:45:33 AM

7. If they really want to make the Kurt/Blaine relationship real, have them face the true hurdle for a gay romance:

Two bottoms!

Posted by: NickC | Feb 14, 2011 11:46:05 AM

8. Totally over "Glee" and Ryan Murphy. His behavior re: Kings of Leon was embarrassing.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Feb 14, 2011 11:48:07 AM

9. Totally over hearing people whine about being totally over something!

Wait...

Posted by: Rob | Feb 14, 2011 11:49:39 AM

10. Tired of people saying they are "totally over something" just to sound cool when secretly they watch it every week.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Feb 14, 2011 11:55:14 AM

11. I was never that into Glee, except for the music. That said, I remember before the season started, there was much made of the promise of a boyfriend for Kurt this season. A promise of a boyfriend. I think he was to be a football player. Not an ambiguous relationship for Kurt, but a boyfriend. How is it that all these straight couples manage to play musical chairs, and the gay is yet again short changed. I swear it is just like Will & Grace. So if I am over anything it is that. How is it a gay producer cannot make good on that promise to show a relationship for Kurt, not a platonic friendship.

Posted by: Critifur | Feb 14, 2011 11:58:19 AM

12. Male bisexuality is certainly something I wish more shows had the courage to explore, but doing so with a character presented to us as confident about his homosexuality seems incredibly ill-advised. I worry that gay teens may find a storyline like this absolutely devastating to their emerging sense of self. If Ryan Murphy wants to explore the subject of bisexuality, why not do it with Puck, or Finn, or Mike? Hell, he's already done the legwork to explore it with Sam.

Posted by: Andrew W | Feb 14, 2011 12:00:31 PM

13. Totally with andrew W on this one...
    This is a SOP to Darren's agents and his "career" we know he's straight...but he's got to get some boy / girl action or we won't sign..
    TOTAL COP OUT.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Feb 14, 2011 12:03:38 PM

14. Bravo, Andrew. Darren Criss' character has been such a positive role model for gay teenagers, I find it unfortunate that Ryan Murphy would dilute that by having him experiment with bisexuality. To me, it just reinforces the conservative argument that you can choose to be gay or straight.

Posted by: Larry | Feb 14, 2011 12:04:26 PM

15. Guys! This was the blind item! I knew it was Criss's character!

Score!

Gawker and After Elton commenters guess this right as well..high five to us all!

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 14, 2011 12:28:47 PM

16. @Brent: Glee is more popular than ever. Sunday's episode was the most watched scripted show of the week. Tuesday's episode was the most watched scripted show of the night among adults under 50. The previous weekend, Oxygen got its highest ratings ever by showing a Glee marathon. I think it's one of the best shows on TV right now.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 14, 2011 1:04:23 PM

17. @ Andrew W. : I agree that this could be a disppointing direction for Blaine's character.

When Kurt asked Blaine and his two friends whether they were all gay, Blaine could have said, "No, none of us are gay. These two are straight and I'm bi." That would have been fine.

But what he said was that he was GAY. To start saying he's NOT gay now would promote the false idea that clued-out people like my partner's mother have ("Meet the right girl and you won't be gay any more.")

Not only that, but he comes across as far too self-aware and intelligent to waffle around between identities. I didn't even like last Tuesday's song in the Gap because it was out of character. He's too mature to profess to all that he is "in love" with some boring and uninterested guy with a cute haircut he saw shopping one day.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 14, 2011 1:04:41 PM

18. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who appreciates Darren Criss. Thanks for sharing this story! I hadn't heard about this yet :)

Posted by: Ty | Feb 14, 2011 1:25:49 PM

19. SOME PEOPLE ARE BISEXUAL. GET OVER IT?

Posted by: ophu | Feb 14, 2011 1:26:45 PM

20. I agree with Andrew W above.

The very idea of this storyline is offensive because it feeds the meme that gay sexuality is mutable; gay people can change if they really want to, it's a lifestyle choice.

I'm glad RM denied the story but it sounds like they were floating the idea out there to see what reaction it got. This show has such major problems with characterization and treatment of women and POCs, I really can't put a move like this past them. After all, according to the link above RM, confirmed the rumor before he denied it.

Posted by: lankyguy | Feb 14, 2011 1:28:08 PM

21. My only issue is this.. why don't we ever have "straight" characters dabbling in bisexuality? As far as Blaine goes, I think he is a red herring. I think Kurt will end up with... Sam. Sam/Quinn have never had sex, Sam was the first one to stand up to the bully even though he is smaller and I think he will catch Finn and Quinn in the act and then turn to Kurt. Kurt will also be heartbroken after he realizes that Blaine is interested in yet someone else that is not him and then turn to Sam.

Posted by: dk | Feb 14, 2011 1:32:51 PM

22. "We want to make sure the kids know he's just like them."

'Cause none of the kids could possibly be bisexual. *facepalm* Why do I have a strong feeling this is going to be repeat of the same old 'bisexuals are greedy cheaters who can't make up their minds!' trope?

Posted by: Sonneillon | Feb 14, 2011 1:50:09 PM

23. @Andrew, and why not do it with Blaine? Exploring Bisexuality is an important step for anyone. And anyone can do it. It should be good as many young people watch the show (Hrm... I have no idea if that is true..) to see a young gay person that experiments is good. Gay people have become so rigid now that the GOP is paying attention to us.

Posted by: Fenrox | Feb 14, 2011 1:56:49 PM

24. Okay, now that I read the full comment by Ryan Murphy, I realize that this headline may be inaccurate.
    Saying that Blaine "will openly question whether bisexuality is real: does NOT "seem to confirm" that (as this headline says) he will "experiment with women."

It could be Blaine will make a comment like: "I sometimes wonder if there is anyone who is truly bisexual right down the middle; I mean, I'm completely gay myself so I can't identify."
    (That's just a hypothetical example I made up, but it's an example that would completely fulfill what Ryan Murphy said Blaine is going to do. Such a conversation can clearly happen without experimenting with a woman or suggesting he is anything but gay.
    I think Ryan Murphy was just saying that that's a conversation the characters could have some people wouldn't like.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 14, 2011 2:01:19 PM

25. The only thing more annoying than people who go on and on about Glee, are the people who go on and on about how over they are with Glee.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 14, 2011 2:06:26 PM