Gay Slurs | Howard Stern | News

Howard Stern: 'I Have a Tremendous Compassion for Homosexuals'

Stern

On yesterday's Howard Stern Show, Stern was asked about the use of the slur "fag" by comic Lisa Lampanelli, and whether or not he condoned it.

Stern said that he regrets that it occasionally creeps into his dialog and that he's trying not to use it anymore, and explains why:

"I have a tremendous compassion for people who are homosexuals. I feel that they are bullied and abused in our society. And I've put a lot of thought into this - and they take such shit just because they like to be with the same sex. It seems so absurd to me. And there so many people out there who just knock their brains out - the gay people. They just treat them so poorly. It must be a terrible thing to be exposed to that kind of hatred and be hated just because of your sexuality..."

Stern then goes on to talk about same-sex marriage, Don't Ask, Don't Tell, the oppression of gays in other countries and the Arab world, churches that bully gays, and calls for equal rights for gay people.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

(thanks blake)

Comments

1. Will 'Homosexual' as a term become the eqivalent of 'Negro' in the future?

Posted by: Ciaran | Feb 3, 2011 9:59:46 AM

2. He has been a very vocal supporter of gay rights for a long time already on his show...
    I am actually surprised people finally noticed this week...But I garantee you that he has been talking very favorably about gay marriage for years now...

And his show is still as politically incorrect and entertaining as ever...love me some Howard Stern!

Posted by: George F | Feb 3, 2011 10:04:57 AM

3. I've watched him evolve over the past 10 years or so from someone who was truly a road block for gay acceptance to someone who, I believe, his 100 percent earnest in his support for full equality.

Think about who listens to his show. Those are the very people who need to hear that their gay brothers and sisters are no different than them.

I never thought I'd say this about Howard Stern but I respect the man. And I'm proud and very moved that he is a straight ally.

Posted by: RobH | Feb 3, 2011 10:06:56 AM

4. I am a black, gay female and I have always enjoyed Howard Stern and he says some crap on his show but I've always respected him for saying what he thinks whether I agree with him or not. So glad to hear him say this on his show and I agree with ROBH the people who listens to his show need to hear this!

Posted by: Cynthia | Feb 3, 2011 10:16:23 AM

5. i have adored howard since the 80s. a long-time supporter of Teh Gays... it's howard, robin & the gang every morning for me!

Posted by: EO | Feb 3, 2011 10:21:27 AM

6. He pisses me off sometimes (okay, a lot) but I can't deny that he has continued to surprise me on gay rights issues.

Posted by: Yeek | Feb 3, 2011 10:24:24 AM

7. Stern's schtick has always been goofing on people, satire. And of course making $. Can't people see this? His racism, sexism, homophobia is a schtick. And he's mocking political correctness and it's hypocrisy.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 3, 2011 10:29:33 AM

8. i guess, ratbastard, but for me the difference is that racism and sexism is illegal; homophobia is not

Posted by: r | Feb 3, 2011 10:46:52 AM

9. Howard Stern is a big friend of gay people, always has been. And from his pulpit, Stern is in the unrivaled position to change the minds of otherwise "red America." In any given election year, Howard Stern is tasked and credited with delivering states like Pennsylvania and Ohio to the Democrats, because he is a strong defender of liberal causes and equal rights. I believe he is also responsible for the changing tide of public opinion towards gay acceptance, especially in the "blue collar" and otherwise socially conservative communities of western Pennsylvania, upstate New York, etc.

You may think he is a schtick and just potty humor, but the man is a political and social force to be reckoned with, and I am very thankful for him.

Posted by: Mike C. | Feb 3, 2011 10:50:05 AM

10. @R,

You can't legislate thought. You can't not make people be racist or sexist if that's their belief. Example Canada: plenty of laws regarding 'Racism', 'Sexism', 'Homophobia'...plenty of people who're racist, sexist and homophobic. It's ultimately really just window dressing. Looks good on paper. One of the examples of politically correct hypocrisy, IMO.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 3, 2011 10:51:22 AM

11. Didn't watch the clip, and don't plan to listen to the musings about "homosexuals" from a man who has contests on his show which involve throwing bologna slices at naked women!

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Feb 3, 2011 10:51:49 AM

12. nice, but i think most of us like to be called "gay"

btw, why the "n word" avoided during the audio clip?

Posted by: r | Feb 3, 2011 10:52:20 AM

13. @R:

Since when was it illegal to be racist or sexist? No such thing.

Posted by: mikel1814 | Feb 3, 2011 10:54:54 AM

14. Baba BOOEY!

Posted by: Steve | Feb 3, 2011 11:20:44 AM

15. No you can't "legislate thought," but you can encourage people to think. Howard does this in his own wild way.

He was in especially good form on Teh Ghey when he had Neil Patrick Harris on his show a few years back.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 3, 2011 11:24:15 AM

16. Howard has always been an outspoken mocker of religion and homophobia

The fartman schtick and some other things haven't always been my personal cup of tea but howard has always been brilliant

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Feb 3, 2011 11:41:03 AM

17. Whether anyone chooses to recognize Stern for his thoughts on gay people - in 1981 he had a morning show on DC101. He had "get a lesbian a date on Tuesdays" where he hosted a lesbian and other women would call in to get a date.

It was respectful and done without any homophobia. He's actually a decent guy and always has been. He says things to get a reaction and whether you like his humor or not we're lucky to have him as an ally.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 3, 2011 11:41:07 AM

18. Whether anyone chooses to recognize Stern for his thoughts on gay people - in 1981 he had a morning show on DC101. He had "get a lesbian a date on Tuesdays" where he hosted a lesbian and other women would call in to get a date.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 3, 2011 11:41:07 AM

19. Whether anyone chooses to recognize Stern for his thoughts on gay people - in 1981 he had a morning show on DC101. He had "get a lesbian a date on Tuesdays" where he hosted a lesbian and other women would call in to get a date.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 3, 2011 11:41:07 AM

20. Whether anyone chooses to recognize Stern for his thoughts on gay people - in 1981 he had a morning show on DC101. He had "get a lesbian a date on Tuesdays" where he hosted a lesbian and other women would call in to get a date.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 3, 2011 11:41:07 AM

21. Whether anyone chooses to recognize Stern for his thoughts on gay people - in 1981 he had a morning show on DC101. He had "get a lesbian a date on Tuesdays" where he hosted a lesbian and other women would call in to get a date.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 3, 2011 11:41:07 AM

22. You can't "legislate thought," but you can legislate tools for those on the bad end of thought to use in defense. That's what civil rights and anti-discrimination laws are about.

Posted by: Soren456 | Feb 3, 2011 11:43:33 AM

23. As a long term loyal "gay" fan of howard it makes me cringe when people question Howard on his acceptance of the gay community! If there is anyone in this country that stands behing the gay community it is Howard Stern. Moreover, Stern is one of the most accepting and non-judgemental public figures in America today not only for the LGBT community but for all minorities.

Posted by: Alexmia | Feb 3, 2011 12:21:48 PM

24. That's a sweet thought but I'd rather be called a fag than a "homosexual."

Posted by: that's nice but | Feb 3, 2011 12:34:58 PM

25. Probably about fifteen years ago, I remember watching a Stern video where he had a real Klansman on a phony "Price is Right" like game show. The game was that the Klansman had these planks with different minority names on them, and he had to rank them in order of who he hated most on a board while a game show style clock ticked away the time limit.

It was the most pointed and hilarious deconstruction of the absolute stupidity of bigotry I've ever seen. The Klansman ran around looking like an utter fool. The underlying point was that all this hate was equally insane, and Stern included gays in that list along with other minorities. It sounds like a simple concept, but when you see it visually it was brilliant satire.

Stern has always been smarter and more socially aware than a lot of people have given him credit for being. These recent comments don't surprise me in the least.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Feb 3, 2011 1:23:48 PM