Comments

1. Darren says

Perhaps, this will help settle the question as to whether Anderson Cooper is a serious, legitimate journalist.

Actually, he has been for quite awhile to the public-at-large. There are those envious, resentful,insecure members of a certain population who will never relent.

Thanks, Andy, for this timely post.

2. breckroy says

I think Anderson Cooper’s coverage of Egypt, like his coverage of Katrina before it, was some of the best on television. He knows broadcast journalism and his talent and expertise show. I fear he borders on slipping over the line of so many journalists turned TV personalities with his advocacy and opinion giving (something that used to be kept separate from the news, and relegated to commentators) sometimes, but in this case it was powerful stuff and worth hearing.

I only mention the commentary stuff, because I remember when Keith Olbermann’s special comments were rare and powerful and spoke truth to power. Then they became more common, more self-serving, and when combined with his daily “Worst Person in the World” awards, etc. took Keith from being my favorite journalist, to enjoyed progressive advocate, to blow-hard. I would caution Anderson Cooper to avoid the same.

A great example was his “Ridiculist” the same night as some GREAT Egypt coverage a few days ago–best Egypt coverage on the air, bar none, and then 5 minutes of editorial from Anderson railing against, among other things, when Southwest Airlines and other flight attendants do things to make the announcements fun (sing them, rap them, make clever puns, etc.) He started out–rightfully–blasting a rapper for using the airline PA to basically promote himself, and next started going off on flight attendants who want to be “noticed” or even make conversation about how their days have gone. As well as people who get excited when celebrities are on board the flight. My boyfriend and I stared at the TV with our mouths hanging open at how cranky and elitist (stuff along the lines of “real travelers just want to rest and sleep and not be disturbed by your grabs for attention or how tough your day has been”) it came off–which is probably not how it was intended since AC is usually such a sweetheart. You just got this sense of a guy who travels first class his whole life and is probably, sure, REALLY tired, but I’d bet $$$ that AC has never been on the Southwest flights he was showing clips of and attacking (where the creative and irreverant flight attendants are a nice bright spot for passengers flying a discount, low-frills airline), etc. And while he thinks it strange that people get excited over celebrities on flights, he was opining from the perspective of the celebrity and someone who’s day-to-day friends are often celebriteis.

So I remain glued to the best, most passionate Egypt coverage on TV, but get nervous as his editorial comments grow more impassioned (He was basically indicting specific Egyptian officials in the strongest terms, a’la Olbermann) and then branch in that intensity into (on the same night!) editorials on “attention seeking” flight attendants. Please, Anderson, don’t go the path former journalists O’Reilly, Olbermann, etc. have gone once they got “big” and people started praising their impassioned editorials on-air. Save them for only the biggest topics (like Katrina, like Egypt) and even then be firm, be factual, and be educational. I think AC is good enough to be better than those clowns, but got a little worried this week.

3. Chris says

Anderson Cooper is a national treasure. A rare nugget of actual journalism. Actually going to the places and doing journalism.

Good luck with fox in that retrospect.

The man is ex CIA, gay, good looking, and professional.

4. TANK says

Cooper took a real chance coming down on an oppressive corrupt dictator presiding over and responsible rampant poverty and needless suffering. What a difference maker. He’s the most greatest bestest journalist in forever and ever, and I’m glad he was wearing his running shoes when he was doing his “on-the-ground” reporting.

5. anon says

It was amusing to see Fox have their guest be John “a war a day” Bolton. Oh yes, a truly inspiring choice.

6. shannon says

Some one tell Anderson Cooper to SIT THE HELL DOWN!!!! You don;t know everything dude!!! They showed you this when they beat your ass when you were there…they do not want whites running their country anymore…

7. TANK says

Shannon, who the hell do you think are? You don’t dare refer to The Coop that way. It’s the worst thing that you can do. Literally, it’s inconceivable that you can do a worse thing.

Lord Coop’s condemnation reminds me of my position on child abuse. I’m against it, and I think it’s wrong. I also think that steps should be taken to prevent it. It’s a big risk typing this, and I know that I’ll take a lot of heat for it, but it’s just how I feel about child abuse.

8. HayesValley says

Parachuting into disaster scenes and waving around a video camera is not real journalism. Even Diane Sawyer can do that. What we need are real journalists stationed throughout the world to report on these things while they are percolating.

And regardless of whether or not AC is a good journalist his fans must admit that he is a world class grandstander…constantly invoking the danger around him, lots of brow furrowing mugging at the camera, and lame (in my opinion) declarations during Katrina.I’ll decide that FEMA doesn’t know what they are doing…thanks