Gay-Straight Alliances | Video

Teen Actor Avan Jogia Says Its OK For Men To Like Men

Sbn
19-year-old straight actor Avan Jogia has co-founded a a new social awareness campaign dedicated to acceptance of homosexuality. Jogia describes the organization, Straight But Not Narrow, in his own way:

"We are a group of men talking to men about men who like men and how men should be ok with your man friends liking men. it doesn't make you any less of a man or make it look like you're into men if you're friends with a man who likes men."

Watch Jogia's heartening PSA, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. So the suicide bomber from CAPRICA is pro-gay. I feel better for our movement already.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 5, 2011 6:11:09 PM

2. I liked the video, the guy and the message a lot. And it was also funny.
    Thank you AJ!

@Eric, Caprica (like the wonderful Battlestar Galactica) is fiction.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 5, 2011 6:22:27 PM

3. @Eric - Um, no. The actor who once played a suicide bomber on Caprica is pro-gay. Big difference to anyone who can separate fantasy from reality. ;)

Posted by: MajorTom | Mar 5, 2011 6:23:39 PM

4. Uhmmm....editor time:

"Straight but now narrow".
    "man fiends"

???

Posted by: Talisman | Mar 5, 2011 6:28:53 PM

5. I think its great

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 5, 2011 7:18:51 PM

6. great message, kind of redundant, but great message!

Posted by: Trey | Mar 5, 2011 7:54:09 PM

7. I'm not entirely comfortable with the notion of segregating male sexuality into straight and gay categories. I just don't think it's necessary. It happens time and time again: we're always segregating ourselves identity-wise from other men, and they from us. Maybe that's the real problem.

Maybe the solution is to stop dividing ourselves into straight and gay and start thinking of ourselves as men who need to be liberated from dated and stereotypical notions.

The answer, in my view, is a male liberation movement that incorporates the idea of male-male sexuality as part of an overall liberation movement. It's way overdue in my view.

Posted by: brian | Mar 5, 2011 8:55:36 PM

8. Wow, he speaks in tongue twisters. :|

Posted by: Ophu | Mar 5, 2011 9:12:45 PM

9. Super nice guy. Great campaign. Pretty certain that despite what he says, he might be a gay, though.

Posted by: Justin | Mar 5, 2011 11:17:01 PM

10. @justin...agree, and that's the irony.

Posted by: shane | Mar 5, 2011 11:59:43 PM

11. and p.s. it does in fact make you like you're a man who's into men if you're friends with a man who's into men...and that's fine. and more so if you're a man talking to other men about men who are friends with men who are into men...and that's fine, too.

Posted by: shane | Mar 6, 2011 12:03:54 AM

12. "...despite what he says"...??

He never gave any indication in the video that he is straight or gay or bi or even something else, because that's not what matters. His whole point is that men are all just men, and that it's nonsenical to criticize or ignorantly label someone just because he's a man who likes men or even a man who likes men who like men.

I think a couple of people in this comment thread should watch it again and let the point sink in.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 6, 2011 1:09:52 AM

13. Finally, straight men realize that you can have the best of both worlds. You can be "homo-social" with out having to be "homo-sexual". Bless them. We gay guys are kinda fun to be around, least I think so.

Posted by: UrStmulusPckg | Mar 6, 2011 2:11:44 AM

14. It's OK because we're are all men, man...On a loop. It's funny.

Posted by: Jeffrey Dunivant | Mar 6, 2011 3:26:24 AM

15. Get a grip. A fairly obscure teen actor says displays tolerance for gay/bi males [I think] and some dudes get giddy.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 6, 2011 5:52:23 AM

16. Don't be so cynical, Ratbastard.
    ANY person who stands up against prejudice deserves our applause :)
    I say good on him!

Posted by: Chaq | Mar 6, 2011 8:10:46 AM

17. Why the hell is there always so much negativity in the comments section? Why can't we just appreciate when something nice is being done (as in this case)? Why the bitterness and cynicism? Doesn't it get tiring?

Posted by: Freddie | Mar 6, 2011 8:11:45 AM

18. Guys, the bitterness is from a few bitter trolls, with a hatred for anything that makes them feel their closeted conservative life is the tragedy it is. Like my old Aunt Susan would say, "Pay them no mind, they don't have any".

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 6, 2011 8:36:16 AM

19. @PATRICK NYC ...or “Bless their hearts” as my favorite aunt used to say.

Posted by: ichabod | Mar 6, 2011 9:47:12 AM

20. "We are a group of men talking to men about men who like men and men it's a great time men. If you like men it doesn't make you any less of a men and men who like men are great men who are friends with men about whom men is a subject of menly discussion. men"

Posted by: Jason 2 | Mar 6, 2011 10:10:44 AM

21. Brian: There are several-- SEVERAL y'all-- guys I've been friends with since Uni that are pretty much straight that I've fooled around with-- only when we've been on ecstasy-- I believe they're totally straight but want to cuddle when you're feeling so good. But for the record: sorting who you wish to partner with based on whether you want cock or not, pretty much determines if your gay or not. Don't try to be all mushy about it and pretend that everyone's bisexual because you're settng yourself up for a wordl of hurt.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Mar 6, 2011 10:45:20 AM

22. @ PATRICK NYC+ICHABOB,

As usual, anybody who contradicts you is 'Bitter', 'Closeted', 'Old Queens', etc.,

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 6, 2011 11:27:47 AM

23. @Derek: I don't think Brian was suggesting that everyone is bisexual but more that being more free from those kinds of labels would be good for everyone.

And though I love living in and even vacationing in the gay ghettos (my "safe space" or at least "safer" space in this world), I agree with him in many ways.

When Eric Stonestreet (from Modern Family) has been interviewed, I've heard everyone from Oprah to Larry King introduce him in this way: "He convincingly plays a gay man on the show even though he's actually STRAIGHT in real life!"

It's as if holding hands with a man on the show is some kind of acting challenge, or maybe it's that all his over-the-top manic screaming and squealing if he breaks a nail is to be commended because it "convinces" stereotype-crazy American audiences that the character can like another man. (Don't get me wrong, I love the show and he's great, but that part gets a little tiring).

No interviewer ever says: "He's partnered with a redhead on the show but dates a brunette in real life."

When some of the jocks in a university night class asked me to go for a beer with them after class, the conversation turned to "I'm so hot for that Asian chick over there" and the other guy said "It's always tiny girls with big breasts that do it for me."

I should be able to say to them, "That bartender guy has such a sexy Spanish accent" without creating a shocker at the table ("What?! You're gay?!") and then changing the whole tone of the rest of the night as they wonder what they should and shouldn't say in my presence.

It is refreshing when the answer to me saying something like is just, "He is sexy but he's not my type."

Posted by: GregV | Mar 6, 2011 12:11:21 PM

24. @gregv: stop w/the reasonable already, it's SO not attention-getting

Posted by: evolve | Mar 6, 2011 2:15:19 PM

25. +1 what PATRICK NYC said...

Great vid well done...rolls nicely off the tongue

Posted by: mcNnyc | Mar 6, 2011 3:52:08 PM