Omar Sharif Jr., Hottie Oscar Trophy Presenter, Discusses Gay Rights

Sharifjr

That was the grandson of actor Omar Sharif holding Oscars at the Academy Awards ceremony the other night, and battling Kirk Douglas for his cane, in case you were wondering.

The Advocate tracked down Omar Sharif Jr. (because he's a hottie basically – note the Facebook photo, above), and asked him a few questions, one specifically about gay rights and the situation in Egypt where he grew up:

"Well, it was bittersweet being on stage yesterday, just because… I’m having such a great time, it’s such a wonderful experience, and known that so many of my friends and my family are living through such a tumultuous time. That being said, after 30 years… or lets say centuries or millenniums — people are finally standing up and voicing their legitimate claims to self determination. Human rights and equal rights — it isn’t based on religion, based on politics, based on gender. It’s across the board. Actually, the first time I met Bruce Cohen, the producer of the Oscar, was at a benefit for the American Foundation for Equal Rights where Elton John was singing. They raised a substantial sum to fight Prop. 8. Coming from the Middle East especially, I’m mindful of these issues, and it’s not something you get to pick and choose."

(image kissing kamal via sticky (nsfw))

Comments

1. patrick nyc says

Nice catch ANDY, I’m surprised nothing was mentioned about who he was in any of the media about his family ties. His bit at the Oscars makes more sense with Douglas, if Douglas is friends with his grandfather.

Nice quotes, good head on his shoulders, and hot like his name sake.

2. Matt26 says

Omar Sharif is a one of those classic movie stars with the face (I fell in love his face watching Dr Zhivago, what a movie!).

Omar Sharif Jr is very handsome and love his hasn’t shaved. I not only love guys with hairy chests but also arab guys.

3. Derrick from Philly says

Omar Sharif did a movie back in the 60s where he played Gengis Khan. He was beautiful. There is a scene where he walks out of a pond/river and his pants are wet and sticking to his skin. I was only about ten years old, but the sight of his wet body and booty thrilled my very soul.

Omar Sharif was beautiful. His grandboy is all right.

4. Rowan says

Christpher,

Because he was called Omar life his grandfather…so….if his grandfather is the first-SNR-and Omar must be the second Omar-JNR.

Grand Dad was GAY.

Him and that other English dude whose name escapes me and was married to Vivien Leigh, had like parallel longterm relationships to their public female ones.

5. MontyMonty says

OK, so lets get this straight: this story has nothing to do with anyone gay. Granddad was gay in your dreams and “hottie” is straight, but gay-friendly. Just checking.

6. patrick nyc says

CHRISTOPHER Omar Sharif was born Michel Dimitri Shalhoub and changed it when he converted to Islam after being raised a Catholic, right before he married his wife, a famous Arab actress. He had one son, Tarek, who had two sons, Omar and Karim.

I fell in love after seeing him as a teen and have seen many of his films, he’s done over 100. I have never heard anything on him being gay, and have never read that he even knew Olivier, let alone had sex with him, though Larry was bi.

Traditionally Omar’s son would get the title of Jr had he not been named Tarek, and his grand son would be Omar III, not sure if it’s his doing, his father’s or perhaps a custom over in Egypt, where Sr still lives in Cairo.

7. KJ says

‘”hottie”? What are we, a fifteen year old girl?’

I don’t understand the question!

8. Gregoire says

Tank — Omar iz a hottie, u suck, wutever, LOLROTF!!!!1!!

By the way, gramps, ‘hottie’ is in the Merriam Webster dictionary and has been in the public mainstream for over 20 years.

9. candide says

Tank’s still angry because DADT was repealed and his prediction/analysis sucked.

10. Danny says

y’know, Tank–every time I see your postings here I wonder if you don’t have a proper toilet in your house so instead you come here to take a dump.

Meanwhile–the boy’s a hottie.

11. Danny says

“What are we–a fifteen year old girl?”

Your nasty sarcasm certainly sounds like it.

12. Christopher says

@Christopher: Ever heard of screen names?

Yes, just not ones that also require your father to change his name.

13. DanMac says

Why is everyone assuming he is straight? We actually hooked up via an online dating site a few months back. Lovely guy. Not straight.

14. jaragon says

I was wondering who that handsome young man was handing over the Oscars- he looks very nice out of a tuxedo. Hope we get to see more of him (with less clothes of course…)

15. Joseph says

PatrickNYC, I was under the impression that Omar Sharif lives in Paris. He won a César Award for his performance in Monsieur Ibrahim (2003) and I believe his mother was French (hence being raised Roman Catholic).

His grandson is beautiful!

16. patrick nyc says

Joseph, Sharif lived in Egypt until 1965, when the country made it difficult for actors to get visas out he decided to live in Europe between films. His parents were both from Lebanon. Sharif lived in Paris for years but both he and his ex-wife live in Cairo today.

17. Dee says

I’m pretty sure he played football for Queen’s University in Canada. Was super hot back then too. Yummy.

18. Jerry says

Its funny that Omar posted this link on his Facebook page, so obviously he or his publicist reads Towleroad

19. jamal49 says

Omar, Jr. is definitely a hottie! His grandfather is one of the last great gentlemen and a true star. As with many others, my first exposure to grandfather Sharif was via Doctor Zhivago, which led me to read the book, which led me to Russian literature, which led me to… oh, never mind.

Anyway, I love Towleroad because of these kinds of news items. Thanks, Andy.

20. Cynthia says

Stunning guy….trust me when I say hes straight…he lived in London England when he was doing his masters at the London School of Economics…..and he is the niest guy you will ever meet !!!! I see him as a superstar in America…..

21. patrick nyc says

I was thinking g the same thing GABE. Kind of strange for straight women to read gay sites like Towleroad and The Advocate, let alone read the comments and post on them.