Music | News | Thailand | Transgender

Watch: Transgender 'Thailand's Got Talent' Contestant Shocks Judges and Audience with Surprise Vocal

Thailand

Beautiful from the beginning, but the magic really begins at (1:04).

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: I've re-posted a subtitled version.

EARLIER...

This is a translation of the judges that was offered in YouTube comments. If anyone can offer corrections, or a better one, please do:

After the performance:

Judge A: You have been deceiving me all along. It's impossible.

Judge B: He's beautiful, isn't he? (Asks the crowd) I was dumbfounded when you started the second verse.

Judge C: Initially, I was certain that you were a transexual, but once you began singing, I was fooled to think that you were female. After you started the male verse, I should have trusted my gut feeling.

All judges gave the thumbs up.

Judge C: Continue the deception.

Comments

1. Very interesting and sweet that the audience really enjoyed her performance. There are a lot of places in the U.S. where there would have been torches and pitchforks.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Mar 14, 2011 7:27:18 PM

2. Beautiful.

Translation of the interview at the end, according to a Youtuber—not checked for accuracy:

"I've been ridiculed a lot, like, 'you fag' or stuff like that so much. But I've had to keep it inside the whole time. And my dad would not accept me, to the point where he hits me so I could change back from being a transsexual to being 'normal'. I just want to tell my dad that I love him so much and I can do this."

Posted by: RP | Mar 14, 2011 7:33:52 PM

3. Wow- Great to see such a positive and accepting crowd!!!!

Posted by: Dr. C | Mar 14, 2011 7:39:29 PM

4. lol, that was awesome! And she is very pretty! Hope she goes all the way!

Posted by: B | Mar 14, 2011 7:39:44 PM

5. That's an impressive SET of vocal cords.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Mar 14, 2011 7:53:34 PM

6. She was fabulous;very brave,too. I hope she wins their competition!

Posted by: Frederick | Mar 14, 2011 8:11:05 PM

7. Beautiful in many ways on many levels.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 14, 2011 8:11:11 PM

8. Because Thailand is not tainted with the "Judeo-Christian" hatred of sex and people's sexuality, they are not showing that hatred. They seem very enchanted with the performance for its own sake and the performer.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Mar 14, 2011 8:11:55 PM

9. WOW
    Just wow on so many levels

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 14, 2011 8:12:04 PM

10. Wow. I wish I could sing like her in either voice!

Posted by: TJ | Mar 14, 2011 8:38:28 PM

11. pretty freakin awesome!

Posted by: Matthew | Mar 14, 2011 8:59:54 PM

12. This made me happy. I was particularly touched by the genuine hugs that the hosts give her at the end. You almost don't need a translation to understand what the judges are saying.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Mar 14, 2011 9:11:33 PM

13. I LOVE THIS PERSON!!!!

Posted by: Matt | Mar 14, 2011 10:48:01 PM

14. The singer is cute, but who's the cute host? Notice how she grabbed his butt at the end?

Posted by: downtownla | Mar 15, 2011 12:10:50 AM

15. the hits for this on youtube went from 60,000 to 72,000 in about 30 minutes an its still climbing. awesome performance an person.

Posted by: James | Mar 15, 2011 12:13:33 AM

16. Reminds me of Jimmy James performing "You don't send me flowers" as both Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond.

Posted by: Frank | Mar 15, 2011 2:02:52 AM

17. Lovely!

Posted by: MontyMonty | Mar 15, 2011 2:03:00 AM

18. Just a slight correction, the translation has the second judge calling her "he" twice, which may sound a bit disparaging. But there's no he or she in Thai, so she's really just saying "beautiful, no?", not "he's beautiful, isn't he?"

Posted by: Brian | Mar 15, 2011 2:23:43 AM

19. There's something really cool about the Thai language that I suspect has some influence on how transgenders are accepted there. Now, I know that it's not universal acceptance, and that "lady boys" have very hostile conditions a lot of the time, yet there's still more acceptance than in the US, I think. Anyhow, in Thai, it is not possible to refer to someone as "he" or "she" - the pronoun for another person is gender neutral (like "you"). Instead, the personal pronoun ("I/me" in English) *is* gender specific, so a declaration of one's own gender is inherent in one's speech. You always identify your own gender when you speak - like "I/male would like to go to college some day" or "That's one of my/female favorite songs." What this means is it's always up to the speaker to identify gender. No one can come up to you and speak with the assumption you are male, if you self-identify as female, because the language doesn't work that way. Anyhow, I think that's pretty interesting.

Posted by: DannyI | Mar 15, 2011 2:28:37 AM

20. Yep, the translation is more-or-less accurate. Though, I feel that 'deception' might be too strong of a word for this particular context.

The clip was two different songs mashed up together.

At the end of the clip, she said that her Dad has been beating her many many times in hope of changing her into a man again. Sad.

@DowntownLA--The cute host is a famous singer/actor. Don't know his name though.

Posted by: Otto | Mar 15, 2011 2:30:41 AM

21. I think I've fallen in love!
    She is SO beautiful...*sigh*
    <3 <3 <3

Posted by: Chaq | Mar 15, 2011 5:08:06 AM

22. Impressive and beautiful on many, many levels.

Posted by: GaryJ | Mar 15, 2011 5:54:07 AM

23. Amazing!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 15, 2011 8:53:07 AM

24. Beautiful, inside and out. The father's nothing more than a sperm donor with a real bad attitude. She's trying to prove something to him through all this, I sincerely hope her efforts are not in vain.

Posted by: Beau | Mar 15, 2011 9:09:39 AM

25. It was wonderful how the judges and audience respected her as an artist and individual.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 15, 2011 10:27:00 AM