Watch: Transgender ‘Thailand’s Got Talent’ Contestant Shocks Judges and Audience with Surprise Vocal

UPDATE: I've re-posted a subtitled version.

EARLIER…

This is a translation of the judges that was offered in YouTube comments. If anyone can offer corrections, or a better one, please do:

After the performance:

Judge A: You have been deceiving me all along. It's impossible.

Judge B: He's beautiful, isn't he? (Asks the crowd) I was dumbfounded when you started the second verse.

Judge C: Initially, I was certain that you were a transexual, but once you began singing, I was fooled to think that you were female. After you started the male verse, I should have trusted my gut feeling.

All judges gave the thumbs up.

Judge C: Continue the deception.

Comments

1. AngelaChanning says

Very interesting and sweet that the audience really enjoyed her performance. There are a lot of places in the U.S. where there would have been torches and pitchforks.

2. RP says

Beautiful.

Translation of the interview at the end, according to a Youtuber—not checked for accuracy:

“I’ve been ridiculed a lot, like, ‘you fag’ or stuff like that so much. But I’ve had to keep it inside the whole time. And my dad would not accept me, to the point where he hits me so I could change back from being a transsexual to being ‘normal’. I just want to tell my dad that I love him so much and I can do this.”

3. Sargon Bighorn says

Because Thailand is not tainted with the “Judeo-Christian” hatred of sex and people’s sexuality, they are not showing that hatred. They seem very enchanted with the performance for its own sake and the performer.

4. Gianpiero says

This made me happy. I was particularly touched by the genuine hugs that the hosts give her at the end. You almost don’t need a translation to understand what the judges are saying.

5. downtownla says

The singer is cute, but who’s the cute host? Notice how she grabbed his butt at the end?

6. James says

the hits for this on youtube went from 60,000 to 72,000 in about 30 minutes an its still climbing. awesome performance an person.

7. Frank says

Reminds me of Jimmy James performing “You don’t send me flowers” as both Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond.

8. Brian says

Just a slight correction, the translation has the second judge calling her “he” twice, which may sound a bit disparaging. But there’s no he or she in Thai, so she’s really just saying “beautiful, no?”, not “he’s beautiful, isn’t he?”

9. DannyI says

There’s something really cool about the Thai language that I suspect has some influence on how transgenders are accepted there. Now, I know that it’s not universal acceptance, and that “lady boys” have very hostile conditions a lot of the time, yet there’s still more acceptance than in the US, I think. Anyhow, in Thai, it is not possible to refer to someone as “he” or “she” – the pronoun for another person is gender neutral (like “you”). Instead, the personal pronoun (“I/me” in English) *is* gender specific, so a declaration of one’s own gender is inherent in one’s speech. You always identify your own gender when you speak – like “I/male would like to go to college some day” or “That’s one of my/female favorite songs.” What this means is it’s always up to the speaker to identify gender. No one can come up to you and speak with the assumption you are male, if you self-identify as female, because the language doesn’t work that way. Anyhow, I think that’s pretty interesting.

10. says

Yep, the translation is more-or-less accurate. Though, I feel that ‘deception’ might be too strong of a word for this particular context.

The clip was two different songs mashed up together.

At the end of the clip, she said that her Dad has been beating her many many times in hope of changing her into a man again. Sad.

@DowntownLA–The cute host is a famous singer/actor. Don’t know his name though.

11. Beau says

Beautiful, inside and out. The father’s nothing more than a sperm donor with a real bad attitude. She’s trying to prove something to him through all this, I sincerely hope her efforts are not in vain.

12. tuneart says

I watched this clip over and over again, and I am very touched. She has a remarkable talent. Amazing person with amazing courage.
    Bravo !!