Advertising | Football | Tim Tebow

BigGayDeal.com

Tim Tebow: Chuck Norris Is The Coolest Person I Know

Tim
Focus on the Family supporter Tim Tebow, who signed on as spokesperson for Jockey last summer, will reportedly make his commercial debut for the company next week.

In an interview related to the advertising campaign, Tebow was asked to name the coolest person he knows. Taking the NFL quarterback's very conservative views into account, his response shouldn't be too much of a surprise: "Absolutely, definitely Chuck Norris."

Chuck Norris: the same man who argued last month that the United States school system is too pro-gay and in the past has said that federal hate crimes legislation would protect pedophiles. Not much of a hero in my book.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Aren't you stretching a little to make this guy anti-gay? Nothing he's ever personally said or done shows that.

#1) I doubt he even knows Chuck Norris' opinions on the education system and hate crime legislation, right along with 99.9% of the rest of us. It wasn't exactly front page news.

2) And as for him supporting Focus On The Family, he did that because they are an anti-abortion organization and they share his views on abortion. I doubt very much he deeply researched their complete set of beliefs.

Does it suck that he supported them? Yes. Should he be called out on supporting them? Yes. But lets stop trying to paint this guy as some homophobe neanderthal until he out-and-out expresses his views on homosexuality.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Mar 27, 2011 9:57:04 AM

2. There is validity in what BeahBeah says, but there is also validity in being judged by the company you keep. Its just a matter of time before the real Tim Tibow emerges. Keeping my fingers crossed it's the one BeahBeah espouses. But I have my doubts.

Posted by: mytwocents | Mar 27, 2011 10:28:39 AM

3. What an unmitigated ass. Every time he's in the news its in support of some hateful person or organization. It's only a matter of time before he's involved in a hate-crime or dog fighting ring, or something equally repulsive.

I can just see the commentary now "...such a nice guy, who would have ever known". Such BS. People like this have no respect or empathy for anybody or anything that's not like them. So "Christian" of him ... ugh!

Posted by: Jake | Mar 27, 2011 10:31:41 AM

4. Hey BEAHBEAH, I've got a question:

Someone does a commercial for an organization designated as a "Hate Group" and isn't aware of the designation? So what you're saying is Tebow isn't so bright.

And I don't really follow Chuck Norris at all, but even I've seen his incredibly anti-gay interviews.

(Somebody needs to get out more.)

Posted by: Brad | Mar 27, 2011 10:33:18 AM

5. "So what you're saying is Tebow isn't so bright."

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I have no proof otherwise. I'm going to sound incredibly @ss-holish here, but he's a 24 year old football player. I don't expect much...

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Mar 27, 2011 10:39:10 AM

6. Chuck Norris has cult status among young people, particularly young white males. There are hundreds of clever sayings about Chuck Norris that many of my straight male friends have posted in their facebook statuses or other places over the years ie ("Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer, too bad he has never cried"). He has become sort of a folk hero to those people precisely because he is notoriously uncool. I've never once thought that my straight male friends who have "admired" chuck norris actually thought he was cool or someone to actually take seriously. That's what made the meme funny. I also never accused one of my friends for being anti-gay because they participated in that following.

All of this is to say that I'm giving Tebow the benefit of the doubt on this one, assuming he's trying to be a little clever or ironic by picking Chuck Norris, the same way Norris's image has been appropriated by so many young guys for years, not all of whom we can automatically declare homophobic.

Posted by: Anthony | Mar 27, 2011 10:45:34 AM

7. Chuck Norris is a meme amongst my generation (which includes Tebow). I wouldn't be surprised if he were completely unaware of Norris's political views, or at the very least, didn't have them in mind at all when he gave that answer.

Posted by: Jordan | Mar 27, 2011 10:52:54 AM

8. I hate to say this.....but if this was a black player? When Charles Barkley came out as pro gay in front of a group of jocks on frigging TV at least 3/4 of the people on this blog insulted him because he used the wrong English grammar and belittled his opinion.

Okay.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 27, 2011 11:05:13 AM

9. Jordan I disagree, I'm sure Tim's admiration of Chuck has more to do with his religious views than his 80's action hero movies.

Posted by: Billy | Mar 27, 2011 11:10:39 AM

10. I'd totally f*ck him.

Posted by: thomas | Mar 27, 2011 11:24:20 AM

11. Good point, Rowan, but I don't necessarily think it's because of race. I think it's because people think Tim is hot, and because he looks like an All-American jock that everyone adores and comes off as the perfect American, whereas Charles is a somewhat overweight somewhat loudmouth middle-aged bald guy with a police record. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, Tim hasn't said anything about homosexuality at all, so I'm assuming he doesn't really care about the subject. There are conservatives who are conservative down the line outside of a couple of issues, his may be homosexuality, who knows. Personally, I think he's probably homophobic given his profession, who he associates with, where he's from. I mean, he runs with FOF and AFA. He's not that stupid to not know their values, so it's likely he shares them. Ultimately, it comes down to whether his views are unacceptable to the masses, and seen as bigoted, or if people look at them as just his personal beliefs, or if he is praised for his beliefs. In this country, ESPECIALLY in sports which are mostly made up of conservative "religious" individuals and fans, he's been praised and likely will continue to be praised, and that's sort of the problem, he's being praised for having beliefs that can definitely be considered bigoted, and unacceptable.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 27, 2011 11:35:30 AM

12. Tim doesnt seem particularly sophisticated. Everything he says seems to come across like a boy - which is probably intentional and desired on the part of the people who have been handling and grooming him for professional sports all his life.

Posted by: Spudger | Mar 27, 2011 11:39:29 AM

13. @Rowan

That's because Andy Towle is a card-carrying member of the GayKK and this is a site dedicated to denigrating Black people/culture/religion wherever and whenever possible.

AND

Absolving equally -- if not more -- heinous white homophobes of their crimes simple because they are sexy or fun or have some tangential Lady Gaga/James Franco/Betty White/Kathy Griffin connection.

Posted by: david kaufman | Mar 27, 2011 11:41:47 AM

14. Only a matter of time until this fine specimen of Christianity succumbs to the pleasures of the flesh. Can't wait to see the fall.

Posted by: Bubba | Mar 27, 2011 11:49:05 AM

15. Tim has a very hot body that will look very appealing in those jockey adds. If you don't agree with his views ( Chuck Norris is cool?!) then don't support his advertiser.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 27, 2011 11:52:14 AM

16. @BEAHBEAH - this from the University of Florida website.

"But Tebow's talents extend well beyond the field. A major in family, youth and community sciences with a 3.77 grade point average..."

So he isn't some dumb jock. Don't let that facade fool you. He knows exactly what he's doing. He's getting his conservative credentials all lined up. He knows that football isn't going to last for ever...and he won't be the 1st from the world of sports to go into politics. I'll bet on it!

Posted by: Taylor | Mar 27, 2011 11:54:08 AM

17. nice shell...nobody home...sometimes you just can't help everyone in this world....and that goes for you too..@BEAHBEAH

Posted by: Chriss | Mar 27, 2011 12:16:01 PM

18. Pretty dosen’t always mean intelegent, we should all know this by now. Oh well guess I’ll have to day dream about Ben Cohen instead ;-)

Posted by: NE Rich | Mar 27, 2011 12:18:20 PM

19. homephobic is biological synonyms for "closet homosexual," isn't it?

Posted by: Lonewillow | Mar 27, 2011 12:20:38 PM

20. Oh but Taylor, it's so easy to make an excuse for this hot white jock isn't it?

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 27, 2011 12:22:19 PM

21. I wouldn't give Tebow that much credit for having any real insight into Chuck Norris's political leanings, or his own for that matter.

Posted by: Adrian | Mar 27, 2011 12:24:24 PM

22. Simply put...a hater...I will not be buying any Jockey underwear for myself, my husband or our three adopted sons.

It always confounds me deeply to witness the same people who are such gung-ho pro-lifers also be among the first who deny any assistance in social services to these babies and their mothers once they are born.

In my estimation that defines hypocrisy...thus, I can say without any hesitation...HYPOCRITE!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Mar 27, 2011 12:47:18 PM

23. Such a pretty package fill with hatred and evil. I do hope he gets caught sucking dick REALLY soon.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 27, 2011 12:53:18 PM

24. Chriss, nice, keep it classy.

The gay community has tangible enemies. People that make it a personal mission to deny us equal rights. If you want to grasp and straws and speculate about Tim Tebow, you go right on ahead. I'll choose to concentrate on individuals that are truly impacting our lives negatively while you waste your time being petty.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Mar 27, 2011 1:28:16 PM

25. So, just like Mr. Tebow has his rights to his views, I have the right not to support Jockey International. Since he thinks a man who actively thinks I should be discriminated against is the "coolest person he knows", I will not be spending any money to help him stay wealthy.

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Mar 27, 2011 1:57:51 PM