Crime | New York | News

Watch: Video Shows Attack on Gay Man in NYC's West Village

Assault

On Monday, I posted about the brutal anti-gay assault on Damian Furtch last weekend outside a McDonald's in NYC's West Village. Furtch was on his way home early Sunday morning when two men began harassing him inside the restaurant when they noticed he was wearing colorful clothing, specifically pink shoelaces and a fluorescent hat he wears as a uniform at the Pink Tea Cup.

Video has been released of the attack. Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

D_furtch The men followed him outside where they proceeded to attack him yelling anti-gay slurs.

Furtch shared his story with GLAAD yesterday, and thanked supporters:

The attack against me is part of the larger issue of violence against gay and transgender people in New York City.  While I am grateful for the opportunity to share my story, I hope to shed light on the larger issue of violence against my community. This has to stop. Under no circumstance should a person be attacked for their sexual orientation.

This has been a traumatic experience for me, my friends and my family.  I’d like to thank my close friends and family who have been supportive and loving through this situation.  I’d also like to thank City Council Speaker Christine Quinn’s office, the New York Police Department’s Hate Crimes Unit and the LGBT and ally community for their continued Facebook and e-mail support. It’s much appreciated and recognized.

NY1: Furtch's boss at the nearby Pink Tea Cup says he can't imagine anyone who would want to hurt the aspiring dancer and model. 'A gentle giant, wouldn't hurt anyone. Just that guy that you're definitely gonna remember and if he served you at the table, you'll request him when you come back,' said Pink Tea Cup Owner Lawrence Page."

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

NY1: Investigators say they're looking for two men 18 to 20 years old. Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says the Hate Crimes Task Force is aggressively investigating the incident. Anyone with information about the case is being asked to contact Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-577-TIPS, by texting TIP577 to CRIMES, or by going to NYPDCrimeStoppers.com.

According to earlier reports, "One of the perps has a huge tattoo of a gothic cross under his left eye..it was approximately 2 inches.."

Previously...
Man Beaten in Anti-gay Assault in NYC's West Village [tr]

Comments

1. This is terrible. I hope the police catch the bastards who did this.

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Mar 31, 2011 8:28:12 AM

2. Yup, basically what I expected, two thugs creating an issue for no reason. The main dude you can tell thinks he's such a man for beating Damian, shows how insecure he is in his masculinity. Time to sweep the streets of this trash. And since the main attacker has already been defined as a Latin guy with a cross tattoo it should be pretty easy to identify and find him eventually. Hopefully Damian gets better soon, emotionally, mentally as well as physically.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 31, 2011 9:55:53 AM

3. These pieces of crap should be shot.

Posted by: palto | Mar 31, 2011 12:55:08 PM

4. I'm confused. Why is the guy pictured above different from the guy pictured in the earlier story here: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/03/man-beaten-in-anti-gay-assault-in-nycs-west-village.html

??

Posted by: redball | Mar 31, 2011 4:44:22 PM

5. You're right, Redball. The stitches are on opposite sides in each picture. And in the above photo the Mr Furtch's eyes are unmistakably brown.

Very strange.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 31, 2011 4:54:52 PM

6. @REDBALL & DERRICK: Really? You seriously can't tell that it's the same guy? There are any number of ways a photo can get flipped between camera and post and hazel eyes can read any number of shades depending on cam model and lighting. Let's not get trivial.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Mar 31, 2011 5:47:23 PM

7. And just something I've learned from being a visibly gay man who doesn't blend in well:

I get a lot less harassment when I have in headphones. I usually don't have any music going through them if I'm alone or feel unsafe, and it sounds at odds to what you would think, but it's worked for me.

When someone is trying to taunt me from across the street and I have in headphones, they tend to assume I didn't hear them. Mind you I'm still alert and ready to run if need be, but those kinds of guys are usually looking for a fight and they have nothing to feed on if I don't give it to them.

When I don't have in headphones, if I don't respond to their taunts it immediately escalates to "Faggot I know you hear me talking to you!" And my whole goal is to never talk to them. Once you stop to talk, it all goes downhill.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Mar 31, 2011 5:52:05 PM

8. *Love* the headphones tactic. I bet at least a few gay bashes could be prevented and lives saved that way....

If you say so, about the photos. They look nothing alike to me. And I've never heard of news outlets flipping photos (?!).

Posted by: redball | Mar 31, 2011 9:30:25 PM

9. I bet you could use a cell phone too & look engrossed in a pretend conversation....

Posted by: redball | Mar 31, 2011 9:32:06 PM

10. @REDBALL News outlets didn't take pics of him. He put them on his Facebook. Any one of them could have been a "cellphone in the mirror pic" which would be a reverse image.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Apr 1, 2011 1:35:26 AM

11. headphones? ready to run? bash back, if you are in a city that allows CCW, get one, and protect yourself. this is your life, not high school. if you have family, you owe it to yourself and them to keep safe. if you live in a neighborhood that you feel in danger, learn self defense, or carry something that will do it for you.

Posted by: mld | Apr 2, 2011 2:37:55 PM

12. and homeless at 26? give me a break, thats a street kid, he's a punk

Posted by: mld | Apr 2, 2011 2:38:54 PM

13. @MLD You have to know how to pick your battles. If I'm walking down the street and 3 dudes wanna be on some machismo bullshit and call me a faggot, I'm not trying to go "bash back." I'm trying to keep walking away from 3 dudes who are looking for a fight. I'm much safer walking away than escalating the situation. It's called being smart.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Apr 3, 2011 6:06:54 PM