Japan | News | Tsunami

Watch: Devastating Full Tsunami Clip from Miyagi Prefecture

2_tsunami

You may have watched a lot of tsunami video by now. I had seen a shorter version of the following video shot in the Miyagi prefecture, but this is the first time I had seen the full uncut 6-minute version, and I couldn't take my eyes off it. Just heartbreaking.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Good Men Project has a list of ways you can help.

And in related news, Lady Gaga has already raised more than $250,000 through sales of her "We Pray for Japan" bracelet.

Here's another I saw recently for the first time:

Comments

1. It is amazing to see a whole town destroyed by nature in just 6 minutes. Notable is the building across the street with the yellow awning. It is only 4 minutes from the time that the water arrives until that awning is fully covered by the water. That means probably 10 to 12 feet of raging water in only a few minutes. Incredible that anyone survived.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 15, 2011 1:48:43 PM

2. Thank you for posting these, Andy. I mean that with all sincerity. From listening to the 6 minute video, I learned what a community sounds like when it is groaning in agony and pain. I would not have known otherwise. The sound is only deepening my compassion.

Posted by: jpeckjr | Mar 15, 2011 2:04:05 PM

3. The second clip is especially disturbing because you can clearly see people literally running for their lives. Some don't make it.

Posted by: David in Boston | Mar 15, 2011 2:41:26 PM

4. 10 comments for the tatooed man, 3 for the east coast of Japan—is there a problem here?

Posted by: disgusted | Mar 15, 2011 5:34:18 PM

5. I almost feels like being Dorothy looking out the window of her house as the the world gets swept up and rides along in the twister. It's both shocking and mesmerizing at the same time. It's very real and yet some how it's surreal. What is most amazing is that people had the presence of mind to record these events given that they were watching their homes and livelihoods being washed away...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Mar 15, 2011 6:14:48 PM

6. I am empty. That footage was too raw for me. I am at a loss for words. Horrifying is the best I can come up with.

Posted by: GraphicJack | Mar 15, 2011 6:16:07 PM

7. Nothing more terrifying than nature's wrath and we puny humans can only stand by and watch.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 15, 2011 6:27:54 PM

8. these videos break my heart. there is nothing else to say.

if the public keeps saying that they are "praying" for these folks, I hope they really mean it.

e

Posted by: bostonbeat | Mar 15, 2011 6:37:31 PM

9. ¡Dios Mio! May God have mercy on them. We truly are a powerless species on a perilous little planet. And yet we spend so much time hating and accusing each other....I'm going to Mass just to light a candle for these people.

Posted by: Pedro | Mar 15, 2011 6:37:49 PM

10. My thought, prayer and donation go out to the people of Japan. It breaks my heart to see this.

Posted by: Theo | Mar 15, 2011 10:30:39 PM

11. My heart, my prayers, and my love for each and every person in Japan who has experienced such a tragedy. My heart hurts knowing the suffering people in that beautiful nation is going through.

Love, Light and many prayers being sent to the beautiful people in Japan.

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 16, 2011 4:04:21 AM