George Michael | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: George Michael Inhales in Tripped-Out 'True Faith' Music Vid

Michael

George Michael debuted the video for his inexplicably vocoded cover of New Order's "True Faith" for a Comic Relief 2011 tv benefit in the UK on Friday night.

The clip features an homage to New Order's original clip for True Faith which was based on the Bauhaus Triadic ballet and features several clown-like costumed figures which in Michael's video are hallucinations dreamt out of a druggy smoke which Michael inhales at the end.

The clip is directed by M.I.E.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I hate being snarky, but I really didn't like this. The original was fantastic.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 21, 2011 11:10:26 AM

2. It was for Comic Relief, so it's a spoof right?

He's got talent but perhaps he should cut back a wee bit on the weed. And tell his stylist to stop watching Jersey Shore.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 21, 2011 11:13:57 AM

3. TRUE FAIL.

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 21, 2011 11:28:36 AM

4. True Faith is a Classic and I respect GM's choice to cover it...
    I loved the original song and video and I like this homage BUT I just don't understand the choice to use the vocoder...it masks one of the best male soul voices of a generation...
    Unless this is some requirement for his probation...smoking harms your voice.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Mar 21, 2011 11:30:03 AM

5. Lousy cover of a great song.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 21, 2011 11:55:08 AM

6. A British PR agent summed this up perfectly: "I love George Michael, I adore New Order. I feel the same way about champagne and caviar. However, if you put them both in a blender, chucked it in a coconut, and tried to serve that to me with a twisty straw, I would puke."

Posted by: Sean | Mar 21, 2011 11:59:26 AM

7. I have a question: what happened to his chest? Damn.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Mar 21, 2011 12:22:03 PM

8. I'm glad George is back to making music and wish him the best, but this is just plain boring. And the use of a vocorder is always a suspicious thing to me....

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Mar 21, 2011 12:31:48 PM

9. Whoever M.I.E. is should be fired. What turns out to be the one of the silliest videos ever made, this cloudy moment is meant for children and drug addicts who enjoy little wispy creatures. Is there anyway to decode the stupid vocode?

Posted by: MontyMonty | Mar 21, 2011 1:15:13 PM

10. The idea of GM covering this song is great. The auto-tuned end result is completely awful. It's 'unlistenable'.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Mar 21, 2011 1:21:43 PM

11. can't get thru it. One of the great things about gm is his voice. unless it's shot from drugs (see whitney) he should never, ever use auto tune. That shiz is for people who can't actually sing. (see jamie foxx)

it's a shame.

Posted by: dms | Mar 21, 2011 1:28:06 PM

12. I think it's awesome. Love it!!!

Posted by: Galore | Mar 21, 2011 1:42:39 PM

13. This song has none of the features that GM fans liked about GM or what NO fans liked about NO. So no one's gonna be happy with this.

Posted by: dh | Mar 21, 2011 2:03:27 PM

14. This version brings out the melancholy of the lyrics, the hurt. It's strange, too. I like it, but I don't think I'll be dancing to it.

Posted by: Glenn I | Mar 21, 2011 2:12:24 PM

15. I just puked in my mouth

Posted by: jaffa | Mar 21, 2011 2:38:42 PM

16. Agree with the negative comments; i like the visuals but the song is so soulful, he really missed an opportunity to do it justice. I was really looking forward to seeing this, now looking for some drug that will erase it from my memory forever

Posted by: Ted | Mar 21, 2011 4:05:31 PM

17. The original song and video are perfect.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 21, 2011 6:13:13 PM

18. I think everything about this atrocious song that could be said has been said. He should fire his eyebrow person, though. And if possible, beat him with a sock full of pennies.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Mar 21, 2011 9:52:14 PM

19. Slowing down the beat of the song doesn't help this cover along with the autotuning. Some very bad choices...

Posted by: Paul | Mar 21, 2011 10:19:31 PM

20. I think it is an interesting cover. I am a huge GM fan and usually don't like "unique" interpretations of songs. However this song is about drug addiction and to me the distortion of the vocoder is symbolic of the distorted reality of a drug addict. I respect George's artistic take on this song. Thanks!

Posted by: Mark | Mar 21, 2011 10:21:53 PM

21. someone has seen david brent's music video. or hasn't.

Posted by: barilla | Mar 22, 2011 9:47:28 AM

22. I was wondering why he was auto-tuned. Read a comment above that may explain it, but it doesn't stop me from feeling like t-pain is just going to jump out and yell at me.

Posted by: CJ | Mar 22, 2011 10:11:38 AM

23. Thanks for sharing this post!
    Nice article!

Posted by: bidet | Jan 17, 2012 3:05:03 AM

24. I don't have regret to spent time to watch George Michael's video. In fact, he really has a nice voice which I admire to him.

Posted by: Noah Berkowitz | Jan 23, 2012 1:12:53 AM