John Galliano | News | Whoopi Goldberg

Watch: Whoopi Goldberg Thinks John Galliano Should Be Given a Pass for Anti-Semitic Remarks Because He Was Drunk

Whoopi_galliano

Whoopi Goldberg says that people say stupid things when they're drunk, so folks should lighten up on John Galliano for his telling a woman "I love Hitler" and adding, "People like you would be dead. Your mothers, your forefathers, would all be f****** gassed."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. No pass, but it's bizarre he's being criminally charged for being drunk off his a** and saying mean things LOL...I hope such an extreme level of political correctness never makes it to America.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 3, 2011 2:34:56 PM

2. The same woman who defended Mel Gibson. The one thing I can't stand about Whoopi.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 3, 2011 2:42:45 PM

3. Oh, Whoopi, stop giving the passes to celebs. It's unseemly. Power and prestige make people stupid, but that doesn't excuse them from being good humans.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 3, 2011 2:43:06 PM

4. Whoopi Goldberg, celebrity spokesmodel and apologist for Anti-Semites everywhere.

She seems to go to great lengths to give haters a free pass.

Posted by: Dagoril | Mar 3, 2011 2:43:19 PM

5. alcohol is the best truth serum and the truth came out. screw galliano

though the french should be worrying more about Ireland defaulting on its debt thus bankrupting french and german banks.

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 3, 2011 2:46:11 PM

6. I have been known to get trashed from time to time.

I never transform into some hateful nazi racist.

Funny how that is.

Posted by: Wes | Mar 3, 2011 2:47:44 PM

7. exactly WES

alcohol does not add anything that isn't already there no matter how well hidden it might be

Thus why i love to get others drunk and ask questions :-P beware if I ever offer you a drink, I'll end up knowing all your secrets

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 3, 2011 2:58:03 PM

8. Oh no! Whoopi expressed an opinion that Andy doesn't like! CALL THE THOUGHT POLICE!!!!

Posted by: Sima | Mar 3, 2011 3:03:21 PM

9. Re the first comment:

The law makes it a crime to incite racial hatred (i.e. to prevent things such as another Jewish holocaust) not "saying mean things."

Whether Galliano is guilty of this law I do not know - but the law is not just political correctness.

Posted by: m | Mar 3, 2011 3:06:36 PM

10. I'm sorry SIMA but do you have an opinion to share?

Or are you the 'DISCUSSION POLICE' deciding what we can and can't discuss?

Posted by: Wes | Mar 3, 2011 3:10:00 PM

11. Whoopi should think twice about staying on The View, because her views are sometimes contradictory and embarassing. As has been already mentioned alcohol lowers inhibitions, it does NOT put crazy thoughts into your head. A decent person will be a decent drunk. A hate-filled misogynist will just spew things he thinks when sober but has enough sense of propriety to keep to himself.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 3, 2011 3:16:59 PM

12. @MSTROZFCKSLV@YAHOO.COM,

Don't worry your little head about the German and French banks; the U.S. Federal Reserve has already bailed them out dollar for dollar, euro for euro.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 3, 2011 3:24:42 PM

13. Oh, and the Irish taxpayer has already bailed out the banks also..... So no worries
    MSTROZFCKSLV@YAHOO.COM....no 'Haircuts' for the German and French banks LOL

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 3, 2011 3:27:12 PM

14. On the one hand, I am not impressed with Whoopi's almost-total tone-deafness on just about everything these days. Why does she go so far out of her way to excuse bigotry?
    On the other hand, I think it's way too facile just to say "in vino veritas" about things people say while drunk. I heard some crazy, wacky, patently untrue things out of the mouths of drunkards while I was in college, and I can guarantee you that none of those people secretly really thought that what they had said was true or even sensical once they sobered up.

Posted by: Thomasina | Mar 3, 2011 3:36:10 PM

15. As someone who doesn't really follow Whoopi, off the top of my head: Gibson, Vick, Galliano. She's getting way too comfortable in her defense of evil.

Posted by: Wes | Mar 3, 2011 3:41:48 PM

16. It should be noted that this was the second time that Galliano was heard making anti-Semitic remarks. He was accused the first time and denied it - and threatened to sue the people who accused him. After that, as a kind of rebuttal, the video appeared.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 3, 2011 3:49:10 PM

17. I think drunks who get drunk on a regular basis keep their same personality when drunk. As some of you said, the alcohol simply exaggerates whatever emotion they're already feeling.

But people who don't get drunk often may be very different than their usual selves when intoxicated. There are people who'll tell you they can't believe what they did or said while drunk, and refuse to believe they always had an unlying desire/need to do or say what they did while drunk.

But I have to contridict my own first thought: for some people (perhaps emotionally unstable or frustrated people) the alcohol unleashes feelings that they would never allow to surface while sober--they would never admit to having such feelings.

There are people who grew up in families where they dreaded Friday night because that's when Daddy would come home drunk and cause absolute horror. Men and women who become violent only when drunk. Does it mean that aggression was already in them? I don't know.

I used to be a very nice drunk, and a sexual push-over (literally). Now, I just become Baby Jane Hudson--a harmless one...for now.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 3, 2011 3:50:39 PM

18. i like whoopi but i wonder if she would have the same thoughts had his comments been directed at blacks.

Posted by: lk | Mar 3, 2011 3:54:33 PM

19. "I like whoopi but i wonder if she would have the same thoughts had his comments been directed at blacks"

Yep, absolutely. And there are a whole lot of black people who don't like her for that reason. Whoopi's antagonism with black people (especially black men) goes back to pre-The Color Purple days.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 3, 2011 4:03:07 PM

20. Drinking reveals the true you by lowering inhibitions, so if you are a big phony normally then you will have a huge personality shift when drunk. If you are normally yourself then no change when you get drunk. Who in the fashion world is not a big phony?? It's part of the job description.

However, I thought her defense was going to be that he can't be Antisemitic because he's Jewish, which I thought was part of the oddness of his story.

Posted by: anon | Mar 3, 2011 4:07:12 PM

21. This needs to be put in context. If Galliano's Jewish friends and colleagues, if he (still) has any, want to forgive him on a personal level, they are free to do so. Similarly, if Whoopee is willing to forgive that type of behavior, she is free to do so. But what Dior needed to think about was their corporate image and their brand. And frankly, that is what Galliano should have been thinking about as well. Whether he liked it or not, he represented the brand, day or night, drunk or sober. Dior made the corporate decision that they did not want someone spewing this type of language associated with their brand. If Dior's corporate policies will permit them to pay for his rehab and counseling, fine, and this might be the kindest way to treat him as a person. But there is no reason that they need to condone the behavior and give him a pass just because he was drunk and acted like an ass in a way that (not a French lawyer) arguably violates French law.

Posted by: MiloTock | Mar 3, 2011 4:07:56 PM

22. I'm with Whoopi on this one. Unless I know someone quite personally, I don't take their drunken tirades seriously. If some drunk-ass mofo shouted, "You nasty flaming faggot!" might offend me but then his next line could be, "Kiss me dude!"

The title of this article should be, "Why you ought to avoid public intoxication if you're some sort of a celebrity."

Posted by: Adrian | Mar 3, 2011 4:16:55 PM

23. Now it really is time to take back that undeserved Oscar!

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Mar 3, 2011 4:21:50 PM

24. Who watched the video of the second incident? It was ridiculously trivial! Galliano was totally sh*t-faced and basically mumbling with a sh*t-eating grin on his face. I've witnessed far, far worse on many occasions. He's obviously a big mouth flaming queen who get's worse when he drinks. A dime a dozen. Nothing to call the cops about.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 3, 2011 5:10:17 PM

25. Antisemitism isn't exactly rare & drug/alcohol fuels craziness isn't very rare (see Charlie Sheen) but who really cares what some D-Bag designer is thinking/saying???

Posted by: richard s | Mar 3, 2011 5:20:23 PM