Basketball | Gay Slurs | Kobe Bryant | News | Sports

Watch: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers Release PSA Calling for 'Understanding, Compassion, and Acceptance'

Bryant

Kobe Bryant and several members of the Los Angeles Lakers have released a PSA in the wake of Bryant's anti-gay slur.

Say the players in the PSA: "There are all kinds of different people in the world. That's what makes the world special. So whether someone is different than you in race, ethnicity, political beliefs, religion ... or sexual orientation ... Words could be hurtful. Replace them with understanding, compassion and acceptance. Let's make this a better world for all of us. Because we're all in this together."

No word on where the PSA might be broadcast.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Kobe Bryants PSA video is meaningless. A forced apology . . . again!! If these self-entitled retards have to be told when their behavior is unacceptable, when to apologize . . . whats next? Will we have to tell them when to blow their nose and wipe their A**?

These videos, mostly directed at kids, from jerks like Kobe will mean nothing, may in fact do more harm because kids are not stupid . . . they know when an adult is a phoney, and phonies do not help the cause. Certainly get him to shut the Frak up with his hater speech . . . but for god's sake dont try to make a hero out of a bully.

Posted by: Ricco | Apr 20, 2011 3:41:04 PM

2. TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE

Your words ring insincere.

Pay the fine.

Posted by: The TRUTH | Apr 20, 2011 3:41:28 PM

3. have to disagree and say i actually think this is a good step. He didn't have to do this...should be applauded for his efforts.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 20, 2011 3:42:53 PM

4. I would be willing to at least entertain the thought of believing this pos if he weren't appealing the fine against him for using the slur in the first place, a fine I might add that is chump change for him.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 20, 2011 3:45:18 PM

5. Pay the fine and after having done so I might listen to what you have to say, it's only 1/40th of the price you paid for the ring you gave your wife after the incident with the other woman. Your words are self serving and so are those of your team mates.

Posted by: lk | Apr 20, 2011 3:51:06 PM

6. IIRC, appealing the fine is SOP in the NBA.

LK< do NOT get me started on the $4 MILLION ring that he gave as hush money to his wife, Vanessa.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 20, 2011 3:55:13 PM

7. If there is supportive feedback from this effort on Bryant's part, maybe he, and others, will do more. Fines of that type are routinely appealed: that does not make Bryant any less sincere. Maybe there is more that he -- and pro sports -- could do; if so, encouraging methods should be used.

Posted by: Russell | Apr 20, 2011 3:59:35 PM

8. @ricco:
    youre mad at someone using the term, "fag", to insult someone, however, you used the word, "retard", to explain your point. really, did you really just do that?

Posted by: andy | Apr 20, 2011 4:17:47 PM

9. He still hasn't said, unequivocally, "I'm sorry."

Posted by: allan | Apr 20, 2011 4:29:04 PM

10. Andy . . . point taken about the word retard. And although retard is not a word that comes to my mind when I think of people who are mentally challenged, and one that only springs to mind in situations like this, situations involving morally vacant people like Kobe, I am glad that you reminded me that it is a word that bothers people . . . and with good reason. So thanks for reminding me . . . Please take out the word retard and substitute it with "Idiot"

Thanks Andy

Posted by: Ricco | Apr 20, 2011 4:43:52 PM

11. Even though this was forced, it's on film and its important. He sounds sincere.

Most of all, however, is that a lot of kids (particularly blacks) who see this will learn that we should be more accepting of gays. I think this helps to outweigh what he did a bit, and I"m happy the pressure was put on him.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 20, 2011 4:48:45 PM

12. Kobe's apology should have been:

I give my apologies to Gay people for using the f-word BUT NOT to those White Gay people that continually use the n-word...and that's a lot. Bye.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 20, 2011 4:51:45 PM

13. Come on, people, be reasonable. I was among the first to criticize Kobe on this board and went after others who tried to say what he did was no big deal. He did not have to do this and I think this demonstrates that he is, in fact, sincere. Look, on the streets, the f-word is still used in the context of trash talk, which has been part of the culture in some neighborhoods for a long time, so sometimes that habit is hard to break.......

I am sure he will pay the fine eventually and he has more than made up for his original transgression....

At this point, he deserves a break...

My God, compared to what Michelle Bachman or Maggie Gallagher are trying to do, what he did was nothing, and they not only have not apologized for themselves, but are not even sorry......and yet neither gets the kind of vitriol directed at them that Kobe has...

I wonder why?

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2011 4:52:04 PM

14. @Derrick OK, Derrick......as long as you also agree that when one of those white, gay people uses the n-word, their response should be: "I give my apologies to African-Americans for using the n-word, BUT NOT to those African-Americans who oppose gay rights at every turn....and that's a lot. Bye"

Deal?

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2011 4:57:22 PM

15. I'm really glad to see that this didn't end with the press release last week, and that the message of replacing slurs with positive words will at least be transmitted.

I see this as making lemons into lemonade. It started out awful, and I was very sad to see what happened, but maybe this can wind up being a big breakthrough for Kobe and for others involved.

I've said things that I had later regretted. It happens. Even though it may have taken over a week, I applaud the PSA and will presume it to be sincere until I have reason to think otherwise based on something other than the past.

Posted by: Dom | Apr 20, 2011 5:15:02 PM

16. Hi Rick,

Old habits are hard to break, and, I have a dirty mouth at times. But, I have never once slipped and used foul language in front of my mom, or others. I just instinctively seem to know when I shouldn't.

There is no "good" excuse for that type of behavior in that particular setting.

And, yes, I accept his "round about apology" only because of his actions after the fact.

Sincere or not, the PSA is a good thing. And, him being the one to mention sexual orientation is fitting.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Apr 20, 2011 5:27:35 PM

17. He said all the right things. I don't know what more we want from him.

He dropped the f-bomb on a supposedly straight guy, then apologized. We have bigger enemies to worry about.

Posted by: dh | Apr 20, 2011 5:45:39 PM

18. @ DH

Thats right! And it ain't black people.

But try explaining that to smug racist homos.

Posted by: Rocky | Apr 20, 2011 6:55:29 PM

19. It seems like "sexual orientation" placed at the end of such a long list that most people have lost interest by the time it's enumerated. Strange, since proportionally gays are the MOST targeted for verbal and physical abuse.

These PSA's are much more effective when they are done by people, on their own and for no other reason than because it's the right thing to do, rather than because they've done, or said, something offensive and their PR manager sets it up to try to clean up the mess.

The one by Grant is much more believable and much more effective.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 20, 2011 7:57:47 PM

20. @TZ: Y'know. I see this PSA by Kobe as a good step--but one which will feel TOTALLY empty if he doesn't pay his chump-change fine already.

But UR also right about the Grant Hill PSA. I may just switch teams. Heck, Grant Hill is also a gazillion times more honorable than that big-name football player that plays in that town.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 20, 2011 11:21:22 PM

21. Americans in general -- including a lot of people here, I'm sure -- have trouble saying a simple "I'm sorry," especially when they know they didn't intend to do anything wrong.

I've given up expecting even my closest friends to be able to use those words. Instead, I look at whether they change their behavior afterward, and Kobe has more than met that criteria so far.

If you want people to give you the benefit of the doubt -- and there usually is-- you have do likewise.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 21, 2011 1:36:34 AM

22. Derrick in Philly said: Kobe's apology should have been:

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 20, 2011 4:51:45 PM

Derrick, Thank You Oh so much....You know the chulren don't apologize when they say vile things about folks. It becomes well he said it so I can say it too. What's in the heart will always come out of the mouth!

For all it's worth thank you Kobe. Because Gays never make offensive statements. Just go to any gay blog Kobe and see for yourself! The proof is the pudding!

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Apr 21, 2011 1:54:10 AM

23. @CD. meh. a public figure's a public figure

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 21, 2011 3:07:28 AM

24. looks like it was filmed in a hallway

Posted by: r | Apr 21, 2011 3:16:13 AM

25. @Derrick From Philly & Chrisshockolattebearcub

Oh, don't get me wrong, I feel you on all of THAT for sure, it's just that...well, I can't STAND Kobe "I can shut my wife up by buying my wife a $4 MILLION purple diamond ring" Bryant.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 21, 2011 9:32:43 AM