Advertising | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Watch: Budweiser's Ambiguously Gay Soldier Ad

Budweiser

Budweiser's latest is asking, but not telling. Pretty genius imho.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via after elton)

Comments

1. Really?? What is gay about this Ad? it is simply fraternal at best. was there a kiss on the cheek, a ring shown? some gesture of love? saying this ad is gay in some way is like saying that playing football is gay?

Posted by: Doug | Apr 26, 2011 11:16:30 AM

2. Good God. I've seen that commercial many times during baseball games, and I never got a "gay vibe". I presumed brother or best friend.

I find this whole trying to read gay into everything and "out" celebrities who say they are straight to be desperate and unseemly.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Apr 26, 2011 11:17:14 AM

3. great ad but i'm not really seeing the whole 'ambiguously gay' part. that mostly just looks like how my straight guy friends act..

Posted by: ean | Apr 26, 2011 11:18:03 AM

4. So sweet! I need to get a tissue now...

Posted by: Esteban | Apr 26, 2011 11:18:08 AM

5. so, there are ambigous ads. to me that's not one of them - it doesn't look like his brother. i guess certain people may just assume it's his best friend....with some people you could suck a d*ck in front of them and they'd just think you were good friends. i found a good blog on gay in advertising here: http://viz.dwrl.utexas.edu/node/392?page=61

Posted by: me | Apr 26, 2011 11:18:16 AM

6. HEAVY accent on the "ambiguous". Cryptic, even. Is there a good word for beyond cryptic? "Arcane", maybe?

Posted by: justme | Apr 26, 2011 11:19:04 AM

7. you're inhaling too much tanning spray, honey. there is nothing gay about this ad. relax, girlz

Posted by: Andreas | Apr 26, 2011 11:20:26 AM

8. What self respecting gay person would ever throw a party in a dirty barn?

Posted by: Christopher Marcacci | Apr 26, 2011 11:21:10 AM

9. Maybe it's fraternal. Maybe it's a boyfriend. The point is, as Andy writes, it's asking but not telling. It could be either. That's good for a marketing ad. What's more, it doesn't presume to spell out like it's important to know. All that matters is he served, he's coming home, and people who love him are glad to see him.

Why are people so negative?

Posted by: Rob | Apr 26, 2011 11:21:59 AM

10. I thought it seemed kindof gay. In a good way.

Posted by: rob | Apr 26, 2011 11:24:26 AM

11. Gay? Where?

Posted by: Andres | Apr 26, 2011 11:24:39 AM

12. siblings. clearly.

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Apr 26, 2011 11:25:08 AM

13. If it was an ad for Bud Light, it might be gay. But full-caloried Budweiser? I don't think so.

Posted by: TOM | Apr 26, 2011 11:27:13 AM

14. The nature of the relationship, although obviously fraternal, cold be almost anything from college buds to lovers. It's entirely up to interpretation. Which, imho, makes it a great ad.

Posted by: GAYLY | Apr 26, 2011 11:31:38 AM

15. Cute commercial, but wishful thinking that it's "gay." I think you're reading a little too much into it.

Plus, what gay drinks Bud heavy?

Posted by: C | Apr 26, 2011 11:32:40 AM

16. they're gay brothers, both single.

Posted by: maxx40 | Apr 26, 2011 11:37:47 AM

17. >> Plus, what gay drinks Bud heavy?

In the midwest.

Posted by: 10025 | Apr 26, 2011 11:43:29 AM

18. Yeah, it for sure COULD be gay. It's cute to read it that way, and I think legit as a read on it. Awww. :)

The no-way-it-could-be-gay crowd shows its own knee-jerk heterosexism, no?

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 26, 2011 11:44:11 AM

19. Ambiguous, hey? Who gets the first phone call? (Hint: NOT the parents) Who gets to step forward and give the first hug (OK no passionate kiss, but it is a beer commercial and takes place in a semi-rural community for pete's sake) Who plans and executes the party (do you really need another hint?)

I teared-up when I saw this ad. I think those who say that I am reading something that isn't there are either unconscious or in denial. Any semi-conscious person who lives in the real world would read this as gay.

Posted by: alex Parrish | Apr 26, 2011 11:44:17 AM

20. rubbish beer though...

Posted by: arch | Apr 26, 2011 11:46:45 AM

21. The key word is "ambiguous". And it is ambiguous, if you're a gay man. But more importantly - what's important - is that it's really sweet, regardless of whether it's gay or non-gay.

Posted by: Justin L Werner | Apr 26, 2011 11:48:13 AM

22. lol Tom

Posted by: sparks | Apr 26, 2011 11:54:20 AM

23. For the reasons stated by Alex, I agree that the ad is ambiguous.
    I think some of the style-queens here need to get over themselves. I am a city slicker, but there is nothing wrong with having a welcome home party in a barn. If it were full of loving people without attitude, a barn would sure beat out most of the fabulous places in my city, NYC (which admittedly is one worst when it comes to having gay men with a self-important attitude).

Posted by: MichaelJ | Apr 26, 2011 12:09:00 PM

24. Sweet commercial, but for a hetero interpretation, there are some very odd unanswered questions. Why would a brother get the first phone call and organize the party rather than the parents? A best friend *might* get the first phone call, but "family" (i.e., the parents) would still organize the party. In the closing shot, the parents and sister(?) all back off, and the best friend(?) has his arm around the soldier. It's true that there is no kiss, but a hetero interpretation would be a stretch for the above reasons, don't you think?

Posted by: Phil | Apr 26, 2011 12:09:30 PM

25. the only way to read this ad as gay is that he is returning home after being booted out of the armed forces because he is gay. DADT is still in effect. You probably would want to drink a rancid old heavy beer in a barn if you just lost your job in the most humiliating way possible.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 26, 2011 12:12:01 PM