Australia | Music | News | Whitney Houston

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: 14-Year-Old Blows Judges' Minds on 'Australia's Got Talent' with Whitney Houston Cover

Vidgen

14-year-old Jack Vidgen from Sydney is the latest talent contestant to blow the roof off a TV competition, with a cover of Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing".

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Is it just me or does it to seem a half-second way too speedy?

Posted by: La Garza | May 4, 2011 8:42:01 AM

2. For a 14 year old? Incredible.

Posted by: Jack M | May 4, 2011 8:53:06 AM

3. A fourteen year-old-boy sings a diva's torch song and everyone has a positive response. I suppose the world really is changing.

Posted by: Frank | May 4, 2011 9:56:24 AM

4. Wow.

Posted by: Dan E | May 4, 2011 10:14:07 AM

5. Very nice, and I want to hear more, but the show is so manipulative. It seems the "[Country Name] Has Talent" template is to have someone sing as they edit in quick-cut, awed reaction shots to amp up the emotions.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 4, 2011 10:22:21 AM

6. I'll write the same thing that I did about the 11-year old singing Gaga that was on here recently: I hope he has proper training, singing like that can thrash a voice in no time if you're not prepared. He has that "throb" in the voice that's excellent, it could turn to a wobble if he's not careful.

He's cute as all get out, wonder what he'll look like in 10 years, without the Bieber haircut?

Posted by: Henry Holland | May 4, 2011 10:22:58 AM

7. Beautiful voice, let's see how that voice will evolve when he reaches the peak of his puberty..

Posted by: Beto | May 4, 2011 10:47:30 AM

8. To have a judge say you're going to be amazing or dreadful right before you sing on a national television show at 14? I'm surprised it was *just* a half-second too speedy. With my nerves it probably would've turned into a quick rap verse and DONE.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | May 4, 2011 11:10:45 AM

9. The teen is great. If you dig into Youtube a bit you can see other videos of him singing before large groups of people. In one of the vids he nails Amazing Grace in front of a very large city Christmas concert. I only hope that whoever winds up handling him steers Jack away from any Beiber-like style and makes Jack unique. Additionally, I hope he gets professional voice coaching to preserve his voice.

Posted by: Paul | May 4, 2011 11:30:30 AM

10. perfect opening note. this kid has talent.

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | May 4, 2011 11:33:50 AM

11. Best audition since Susan Boyle.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | May 4, 2011 5:33:08 PM

12. I want to be kissed by that judge.

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 4, 2011 6:49:09 PM

13. Amazing. Hope this kid gets a good voice teacher and can cope when his voice changes and those Whitney notes aren't there anymore. Otherwise his voice will be in tatters in a few years.

And that male judge is HOT.

Posted by: SKOC211 | May 4, 2011 7:47:55 PM

14. The hottie male judge is Bryan McFadden , formerly with the UK "boyband" Westlife. Their videos on YouTube are a staple for my peaceful nights sleep.

Posted by: PAV3 | May 5, 2011 12:19:13 AM

15. Interesting, I actually like a Whitney Houston song when Whitney Houston's not singing it. (There's just something about her frosty, butter-wouldn't-melt-in-my-mouth diva personality that I really dislike, despite the technical proficiency of her voice--er, former voice.) This kid has the potential to really be something special, based not just on his voice but on the glow he has about him.

Posted by: Dback | May 5, 2011 1:24:18 AM

16. *Formally with the Irish "boyband" Westlife. ;D

Posted by: namesRhard | May 5, 2011 3:37:59 AM

17. Bryan McFadden alas is a bit of a homophobe. And Kyle Sandilands is a arsehat. Kid's got a great voice though!

Posted by: Wirrrn | May 5, 2011 6:17:10 AM