Basketball | Gay Marriage | New York | News | Steve Nash

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Phoenix Suns Player Steve Nash for Marriage Equality

Nash

Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash has recorded a video in support of the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality campaign.

Says Nash in the spot: "I spend my summers in New York and I love playing at the Garden. A growing number of professional athletes are speaking out in support of gay and lesbian couples getting married. I'm proud to be one of them."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Are the Phoenix Suns the most pro-gay team in the NBA? With a now openly gay President and tow other players, Grant Hill and Jared Dudley recording spots for GLSEN, I'd says so.

Comments

1. Aren't these guys losing with their message? I thought the Conservative party would not support any GOP who votes for gay marriage?

And how successful are these PR friendly initiatives? Is this a referendum vote?

And does it all this smack of opportunism and branding? What is the cause and effect?

It seems to me this vehicle is the perfect PR opportunity for a bunch of celebrities with money or fame to jump on this band wagon to seem like they care about gays and not really do ANYTHING to push the cause.

Where are these videos been shown? To the choir? In ghettos? In community centers? Interactive billboar in hyper religious areas?

Whether it's Bloomberg or it's Paul Singer, these guys have enough dirty money and power to take a golfing trip with the Conservative head or some GOP members to have a quite little chat with them.

500k is pocket change to Singer and keeps his gay son happy but are you telling me Bush's best buddy can't sway the GOP more?

Bloomberg was instrumental in making sure Peterson lost because of gay marriage and is allowed to create his own rules as a thrice governor, yet he has no power to sway the GOP? But I guess a very public 'robocall' keeps him in favor with the rich gays as 'trying', as well as a video that goes out to who knows!

Posted by: Rowan | May 23, 2011 8:16:35 AM

2. @Rowan:

Wow. Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Posted by: Really? | May 23, 2011 8:21:22 AM

3. I think this is not only huge, but amazing! So clear... so to the point... no "tap dancing" around the issue! Thank you, Steve Nash!

Posted by: james Brown | May 23, 2011 8:26:23 AM

4. Steve Nash is seriously cute—and his values make him even cuter.

Posted by: dizzy spins | May 23, 2011 8:33:25 AM

5. It seems that the Phoenix Suns, right there in Arizona, the arm pit of American conservatism, have become a bastion of gay support before and since their owner came out.

Kudos to Mr. Nash.

Though I think Rowan has some valid points I don't think the impact of these moves. If nothing more, they may pave the way for people to become more and more active in the fight for civil justice. Right now sports stars and many politicians aren't willing to be associated in ANY way with the movement so every individual making a public stand moves the bar and makes it more acceptable for more and more people to become more and more involved.

As Martha would say, "It's a GOOD thing".

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 23, 2011 8:52:45 AM

6. How lovely and wonderful! I like his voice (reminds from my childhood watching Michael Nader in Dynasty, one of my very first crushes).

Posted by: Matt26 | May 23, 2011 9:22:11 AM

7. I love you, Steve Nash!!!

Posted by: Feral | May 23, 2011 10:25:40 AM

8. This is absolutely huge. While Sean Avery's PSA definitely wasn't the traditional professional hockey line, Avery has always been a rebel (a thug on the ice even by hockey standards, and a fashion-loving, VOGUE/Wintour-worshiping, clubhobbing metrosexual off the ice). But Steve Nash is the kind of guy who gets worshipped by the decidedly heterosexual young audience this kind of message NEEDS to reach.

I don't agree at all that it is self-serving. No matter the recent cracks, it is not a guaranteed positive to come out so strongly for gay rights in professional sports. The fans are merciless and other players can be a**holes about it. There is an elment of bravery in saying "I'm famous enough, talented enough, and I could care less. I'm taking a stand." Not as brave, perhaps as someone with something much more to lose, but still brave and significant in pop culture history.

Posted by: BreckRoy | May 23, 2011 11:04:38 AM

9. Why do so many people keep calling Rick Welts the owner of the Suns? He's the President and CEO. He actually worked to get to where he is, he didn't buy his way in.

Posted by: JonB | May 23, 2011 11:10:47 AM

10. Is this getting airtime on television in actual households? Who is this reaching?

Posted by: K | May 23, 2011 11:31:04 AM

11. Tampa, ok, I'll take that this is more about social impact and awareness but I still wonder where it's reaching? It seems that the target group for these videos are......the media. No?

And also, the gay community.....no?

But no one else really.

In fact that overzealous homophobic hockey agent did more impact on this cause then Avery's. I think Avery thought he was doing a cute social media video to show his support of all those gay hipsters he works with and that it would up his brand in the gay community and gay friendly media but then that agent who is so rabidly homophobic brought this into the spotlight. Score to our team!

Wouldn't be nice if Wimtour came out for marriage equally on Vogue online or did a feature in Vogue? Or Mark Ruffalo on E news entertainment?

Heh, better then nothing I guess.

Posted by: Rowan | May 23, 2011 12:50:04 PM

12. Actually, the target audience for these videos are the voters of the State of New York. The passing of marriage equality there is a genuine toss-up and there has been a very crafty, well-run campaign to show on-the-fence NYers (including legislators) that marriage equality is a non-issue, something "regular" people like your neighbors and non-creative arts celebrities support as much as the "usual" suspects do. It's really brilliant and it comes on the legitimate "eve" of a make or break moment in NY over marriage equality.

I wonder if you're lumping these in with the "It Gets Better" videos and "NoH8" photos that have become so ubiquitous. I think a lot of your criticisms make more sense when you look at some of the straight celebrities who've done "It Gets Better" videos/"NoH8" photos as if they were just the latest trend in self-promotion. (I still accept them, though, because trendiness has it's place in inflencing young people, who are tomorrow's voters and leaders.)

But I think Steve Nash and Sean Avery, especially, as pro-athletes supporting THIS targeted marriage equality campaign is significant and I am personally grateful to them.

Posted by: BreckRoy | May 23, 2011 1:39:24 PM

13. Only gays slap people in the face for agreeing with them and suggesting that its for the wrong reasons. Ever see that happen with conservative right wingers? No, because it doesnt happen. Conservatives take their supporters and at least try and not offend them. Gays say they want people on their side, only to turn around and accuse them of doing it for publicity reasons. You really think that athletes lives are easier in sporting world AFTER they come out for gay rights? Lets not act like his words went out into a vacuum and will not be heard by anyone, because they will and they will matter to someone. They have the power to change some young sports fans life to either come out or to to be prejudicial to others. Every Lady Gaga post on here is met with comments about how bad she is for the gay community. Like hell she is! She helped repeal DADT. Dont be so damned sarcastic all the time it is not helpful to our cause.

Posted by: Jerry | May 23, 2011 2:09:03 PM