News: Andrew Cuomo, ISS, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Virginia

Road Brown Coffee Company owner Aaron Blanco apologizes again for homophobic tweet. Then opens store, and realizes he really didn't mean to apologize after all.

Cuomo RoadCuomo talks about how it got done.

RoadLindsay Lohan parties after house arrest.

RoadThe NYT reminds us that Gilbert Baker invented the Gay Pride flag. "Baker’s original, self-made flag was composed of eight stripes: hot pink (for sexuality), red (for life), orange (for healing), yellow (for sunlight), green (for nature), blue (for art), indigo (for harmony) and violet (for the human spirit). "

RoadJonathan Rhys-Meyers hospitalized after reported suicide attempt in London.

RoadPrince William and Kate Middleton leave for North American trip.

RoadSF Pride threatens videographer with legal action over YouTube clip of shooting blocks from celebration in the Castro.

RoadQuinnipiac poll finds opposition to same-sex marriage, support for gay adoption in Virginia: "A majority, 52 percent, opposed gay marriage in Virginia while 41 percent would support it. Same-sex marriage is forbidden by both state law and the Virginia Constitution. Yet a majority said the state should lift its prohibition on gay adoptions. Fifty-one percent said the state should allow couples of the same gender to adopt children, 43 percent supported the present ban, and six percent had no opinion."

Nascartweet RoadRed Bull Racing Team NASCAR contractor fired for anti-gay tweet.

RoadAdWeek: The 50 gayest ads ever?

RoadColton Haynes and Tyler Hoechlin sex up Teen Wolf.

RoadInternational Space Station, crew, have close call with space junk: "he six crew members of the space station took refuge in their “lifeboats” — two Soyuz space capsules they would use to escape a crippled station — as the unidentified object hurtled past them at a speed of 29,000 miles per hour, missing the space station by only 1,100 feet. The episode took place at 8:08 a.m. Eastern time."

RoadJustin Timberlake buys stake in MySpace, after social network is sold for $35 million.

RoadCabin fever in Provincetown.

RoadTicked Off Trannies with Knives comes to Showtime...

Seabridge RoadWorld's longest sea bridge opens in China.

RoadLawmakers seek update on State Dept. LGBT policy: "The 45 names on the letter are noteworthy because two signers are also leaders of the House Foreign Affairs Committee: Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), the Republican chair of the panel, and Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the panel’s ranking Democrat.

RoadAndy Warhol NYC walking tours include a building at 74th and Madison that would have been the "Andy-Mat". Warhol: “I want to start a chain of restaurants for other people like me called Andy-Mats. The restaurant for the lonely person. You get your food and then take your tray into a booth and watch television.”

RoadWill SCOTUS make same-sex marriage an election year issue? "Next year, the Supreme Court might consider the constitutionality of one section of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, which defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman. If the Supreme Court agreed prior to Election Day that it would consider a challenge to DOMA, that would place the marriage issue squarely in the middle of the presidential campaign."

Comments

1. Aaron Blanco needs to learn a thing or two about shutting his mouth. Deletes the offensive tweet, locks his Twitter and Facebook accounts, then deletes his Facebook account, then posts an apology of sorts, then DELETES the apology, then "accidentally" deletes all related posts on his company's blog, then posts on the blog basically saying he doesn't take back anything he said and locks all commenting. My head is still spinning! Maybe it's my doppio from Starbucks.

He may brew some good coffee, but he's got alot to learn about using social networks with his business.

Posted by: brent | Jun 30, 2011 3:43:24 PM

2. I wish we would see the original Gilbert Baker version of the Gay Pride Flag more often.

I especially like the distinctive pink stripe.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 30, 2011 3:51:26 PM

3. Aaron Blanco, starring in, "The Three Faces of Aaron".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 30, 2011 4:26:01 PM

4. Aaron, if your blog is about coffee, then YOU talk about coffee, not what you think about equality and how it's not for everyone.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jun 30, 2011 4:31:02 PM

5. Some might also call the design of the Gay Pride flag what's known in some circles as "rainbow" colors with an added strip of pink. Let's not get overly analytical.

The links to pictures of Lindsay Lohan make her look like Sharon Stone's mother and Jonathan Rhys-Meyer make a very attractive man look awful. Though the article says it wasn't a suicide attempt, but a relapse. Near-death experiences are very common if your relapse drug of choice is, say, heroin. I have no idea what he used.

So SF Pride and Justin Timberlake both make terrible financial decisions? And Warhol remains depressing even in death?

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 30, 2011 4:50:12 PM

6. I'm glad Showtime isn't on my cable subscription. Even if it were, an offensive travesty like "Ticked-Off Tr*nnies" would be must-to-avoid.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jun 30, 2011 5:05:27 PM

7. @ Brent

You're so right. If one can be a train-wreck and an a**hole at the same time, I think that Brown Coffee dude's nailed it.

The Brown Coffee dude writes: "But consider for a moment that you probably knew that I probably knew you stood for things that were the complete antithesis of my own deeply held convictions…yet I still communed with you. So now who wears the white hat and who the black?"

Uh, you'd still be wearing the black hat, bub. Apparently, Brown Coffee dude got the memo that it's now en vogue for bigots to whine "why can't you all tolerate my intolerance... now who's the bigot, blah, blah, blah." Well, Coffee Guy, let me explain, since you still have your comments turned off. Nobody was running around Tweeting that you and your wife's marriage was an afront to God. I'm betting if they had, when that person showed up asking for a Carmel Macchiato with extra whip cream, you would have tossed him out of your store on his butt.

See, it wasn't a disagreement about economic theory or who'd make the best town dogcatcher. And when people's actual civil rights are at stake, it's not the same as a friendly debate about who's gonna win the World Series. The guy who said you and your wife's marriage was "unnatural," when it ain't any of his g*dd*mned business, would've been just being a hateful d*ck. Much, apparently, like yourself, oh, Brown Coffee man. See how that works?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jun 30, 2011 5:41:01 PM

8. Bobby Joe. Brilliant.

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Jun 30, 2011 6:03:01 PM

9. I think Red Bull Racing needs to be given credit for enforcing their zero tolerance policy.

The worst part is Fuller's explanition - not an apology for his tweets. Guess like Weiner his account was hacked.....

Posted by: Michael | Jun 30, 2011 6:39:00 PM

10. Anyone know how we can make sure we're not drinking any of this bigot's coffee?

Posted by: chris | Jun 30, 2011 7:09:56 PM

11. Drink Guinness instead -- the last ad in the 50 Gayest Ads Ever link was a 1995 attempted ad by Guinness (it got pulled after backlash, but kudos to Guinness anyways for even trying to run a gay ad back in 1995).

Posted by: Patrick Hogan | Jun 30, 2011 9:02:49 PM

12. I emailed Aaron at Brown Coffee and he responded. Turns out he's not really a bad guy. I take him at his word that the tweet didn't mean what we all thought it meant.

Yes, I'm gay and yes I was offended by his tweet because I too thought he was talking about homosexuality but he was not.

I hope we can cut him some slack.

Posted by: Dean | Jun 30, 2011 11:22:00 PM

13. RoadQuinnipiac poll finds opposition to same-sex marriage, support for gay adoption in Virginia: "A majority, 52 percent, opposed gay marriage in Virginia while 41 percent would support it. Same-sex marriage is forbidden by both state law and the Virginia Constitution. Yet a majority said the state should lift its prohibition on gay adoptions. Fifty-one percent said the state should allow couples of the same gender to adopt children, 43 percent supported the present ban, and six percent had no opinion."

I think a state by state poll on the subject would be incredibly interesting.

I think it would shine some light on obama's inability to evolve. And since, like most of us, he wants to keep his job, it might give us some understanding of his predicament.

Posted by: dms | Jun 30, 2011 11:59:31 PM

14. Ah, here we go. Here is an incredibly interesting new run down of marriage support, state by state courtesy of five thirty eight.

It's here: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/the-future-of-same-sex-marriage-ballot-measures/#more-12437

Do check it out. Some of the nuances of the support for civil marriage are interesting to note. (intensity of support, trends, potential for reversal, etc.

Good reading!

Posted by: dms | Jul 1, 2011 1:31:50 AM

15. While it is still awaiting moderation on his Brown's Coffee blog, I wanted to get my response to that Aaron guy out on the public record somehow. What I wrote in response to his latest I apologized, I didn't apologize statement, pasted below:

Aaron:

Read your latest apology. Then read this. I think you have trouble with saying what’s really on your mind.

If you really are for all humanity regardless of “beliefs” (and I, a gay man, firmly believe that I am just as good as you and deserve equal treatment in the eyes of society and the law), then just be frank and say what you believe about marriage equality and gay people. Say that you are for our equal rights and protection, if indeed you are all for humanity and holding hands in the streets.

And if you don’t believe that I am just as good as you, then say that. Be frank. Stop tip-toeing through the tulips.

I’m a man. I can admit with no shame, and only with pride, that I am a man who loves men, who doesn’t do business with men who don’t consider me equal because of whom I love. So how about you be a man now and say, plainly, what you believe.

Until then, you are not a man, you are a coward.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Jul 1, 2011 2:09:27 PM