Food and Drink | Gay Marriage | New York | News | San Antonio | Twitter

NYC Cafe Dumps Brown Coffee After Company's Homophobic Tweet

RBC

San Antonio-based Brown Coffee Company sent out a homophobic tweet hours after the New York marriage equality victory, causing at least one NYC cafe to dump the brand.

RBC NYC Coffee noted Brown's tweet saying: "Although we won’t tell you what RBC stands for, we’ll let you know it doesn’t stand for intolerance and bigotry, therefore we will not be doing business with The Brown Coffee Co. anymore."

The coffee blog Sprudge notes: "In the days following, Brown has locked its Twitter account, deleted the offending Tweet, and deactivated its Facebook page. Brown can be reached for contact here and they run a WordPress here."

Visit RBC NYC online here.

Comments

1. RBC stands for Royal Bank of Canada :-)

Posted by: Mike | Jun 28, 2011 9:24:10 AM

2. Just more religious wingnuts further bringing down the reputation of all Texans. You would think that these bigots would have the common sense not to do things like this, realizing that there would be a backlash. But I guess living in Texas means you're not living in modern reality (outside of a few select areas, of course).

Oh well, hope this statement was worth the upcoming loss of business for them.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 28, 2011 9:31:38 AM

3. Althought disgusting, its kinda funny to watch the roaches scurry when the light gets turned on them.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Jun 28, 2011 9:34:33 AM

4. A friend of mine used to say "I'm dropping the Brown's off at the pool," whenever he had to take a dump. This tweet brings a fresh perspective to that quaint turn of phrase.

Posted by: kodiak | Jun 28, 2011 10:06:51 AM

5. "Natural law" = what animals do and what exists

animals have gay sex and not a 1 of them worships a god

per natural law , gayness is perfectly normal and religion is an abomination

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | Jun 28, 2011 10:11:25 AM

6. Wow, talk about biting the hand that holds your coffee cup. They won't get my business #boycottbrown

Posted by: Jason | Jun 28, 2011 10:12:05 AM

7. And it crossed no one's mind at Brown Coffee Company that this might have a negative impact on their business?

Posted by: james | Jun 28, 2011 10:18:05 AM

8. Dig a little further on their Wordpress site and learn about their excuses for buying products that rely on child labor. http://browncoffeeco.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/a-winding-road/#comments

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Jun 28, 2011 10:24:30 AM

9. @ Mstrozfcksly - Great argument!

Posted by: Joetx | Jun 28, 2011 10:24:59 AM

10. E-mailed them and left a comment on their wordpress site, which is subject to approval and will most certainly be denied but they will be very aware I'm spreading the word about their bigotry.

Posted by: Marco | Jun 28, 2011 10:30:08 AM

11. By the way, each entry on their wordpress site allows comments....

Posted by: rustytrawler | Jun 28, 2011 10:31:48 AM

12. Review on Urbaspoon: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/reviews/1491848

I love great coffee. But when a company expressly comes out against equality, I can no longer patronize them. What message does this send your vendors, friends, family, others? You want to be separate and unequal? Fine. Market yourselves to others who promote inequality. In the tweet you sent: http://sprudge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/RBC.jpg, you even say I am not equal to you. I can get over the personal hurt, but I can't in good consciousness give you my money. I am also concerned with this company's dismissive response to their reliance on child labor with one of their growers. This is detailed on their Wordpress site where they make the argument that it's not the same as relying on child labor in the states. Of course it is. Again, I love a great cup of coffee, but one brought to this country by the labor of a child and profiting people who think I am a second-class citizen just ain't going to happen. I pray you find a way to truly fair trade products and a heart that believes your neighbor/friend is your equal.

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Jun 28, 2011 10:53:20 AM

13. They posted an "apology" on their Wordpress site that is the worst example of "We're the actual victims" whining. I posted a comment but since it is moderated, I don't think it'll stick.

Posted by: Joe M | Jun 28, 2011 11:47:10 AM

14. Apparently they have "corrected the record"???

I've read it a couple of times and still left ith a WTF reaction. This is the most rediculous rewrite I have ever read.

Posted by: rodca | Jun 28, 2011 11:53:24 AM

15. DUDES, THIS RBC PLACE HAS FREAKING MARIO CART 64 TOURNAMENTS. I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 28, 2011 11:54:25 AM

16. I read Aaron blanco's comments and it's good to see that he--despite what this article suggests--is not exactly scurrying to run away and hide.

I would hope that someday we will live in a tolerant world where all people are respected, as well as their differing beliefs and opinions (for even those folks who are not gay, and do not support gay marriage).

I've never heard of the Brown coffee co., but now I have (thankyou) and I plan to send them some of my business, maybe even use them for my shop. We'll see. You lose some, you gain some. Oh well.. Such is life.

Posted by: LUVINIT | Jun 28, 2011 12:10:40 PM

17. @luvinit. Perhaps we read different comments from Aaron Blanco, the one I read on his blog was basically " it was about some thing else, nothing to see here"....which certainly is "running and hiding". And in addition, he wrote that hours after this post was made.

And really..an argument to tolerate bigotry...aren't we past that? Brown Coffee Co is free to tweet all their opinions on gay marriage, and I am free to not patronize them or any establishment that uses their product. That's how Freedom of Speech works. It doesn't mean Freedom from consequences, and tolerance doesn't mean tolerating bigotry.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 28, 2011 12:21:39 PM

18. Right on, Chris.

Yeah, maybe we should "tolerate" anti-Semitism, racism, xenophobia, and the subjugation of women too.

The fact that the bigots are now starting to see that the worm is turning... that their bigotry is a Biblically justifiably but no longer socially acceptable bias... is freaking them out. I'm loving every second of it. It's about freaking time.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 28, 2011 12:44:36 PM

19. Open letter to BCC:

Even if we grant the premise of your explanation, you must recognize that your "misunderstood" tweet has an eternal life on the internet, and therefore an everlasting effect. Your comment could very well be the tipping point for a San Antonio GLBT teen suicide.

This "apology" is insufficient to address the lasting ramifications of your original tweet.

In my blog post "Bitter Brown Coffee -- What To Do?" at http://wp.me/p1hSzg-1I, I suggest your penance take the form of a sizable donation to The Trevor Project -- an organization dedicated to preventing the regrettable outcome of comments like yours by giving LGBT teens hope and counseling them against killing themselves.

From my blog post: "The company’s “apology” by way of its explanation is, of course, the first step. But a simple apology alone will not suffice. The bell has been rung and it can’t be un-rung. The comment lives forever on the internet. No, they must take concrete action to counter the damage of their remark.

I suggest penance in the form of a sizable donation to the Trevor Project. Let them provide resources to help stave off yet another teen suicide that might have been triggered by their tweet. Given the price of their products and the apparent success they are enjoying, I would expect this donation to be in the four- to five-figure range, but only BCC can decide what they can affort. They would do well to note, however, that the sincerity of their apology is likely to be judged by the size of their donation."

I look forward to news of your action on this matter.

Posted by: TexasYankee | Jun 28, 2011 12:48:04 PM

20. LUVINIT: If you're so proud of your beliefs then why don't you post the name and address of your "shop" (if it exists)?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 28, 2011 12:58:31 PM

21. Why any business or company would allow an employee to make social commentary on the company's twitter account leads to the question of why do they even have a twitter account.

Businesses don't have opinions; owners and employees do and they should reserve those opinions for their personal accounts...not the businesses'.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jun 28, 2011 1:32:04 PM

22. Wow. Their "correction" didn't really clarify anything. It says that they were talking about laws and not people, but nowhere does it say that they weren't still referring to same-sex marriage.

They go on to say that they're not homophobic - but then again, that's the same stance that Santorum uses before he compares gay love to bestiality and pedophilia. It's not really a statement I trust anymore.

They seem to sell to coffee shops where gays and progressives frequent. If they don't clear this up fast, they stand to lose a lot of business. You'd think they'd be working harder to actually clarify this.

Posted by: El-Brucio | Jun 28, 2011 1:36:43 PM

23. @Luvinit is a troll. Don't feed trolls, people.

Posted by: Harold | Jun 28, 2011 1:37:33 PM

24. @LUVINIT: Do you honestly believe their "clarification"? As a commenter on a different blog said, "Hash tags don't lie."

Posted by: searunner | Jun 28, 2011 1:38:04 PM

25. I posted this comment earlier on their Wordpress site:
    I would like to believe that you meant well, and were simply waxing philosophical, but in the context of current events, your tweet seems irresponsible, and your excuse insincere.
    It is still awaiting moderation, although there is one written at about the same time as mine that is filled with glowing appreciation for the company's tolerance and peace-loving nature.
    Even if the owner of Brown Coffee was waxing philosophical, how does he explain "sorry folks. Not equal. Why bother"?
    I am a San Antonian, and I am sorry to see how actions such as this one make all Texans seem like knuckle-draggers in the eyes of people across the country.

Posted by: David Rossi | Jun 28, 2011 1:52:52 PM