Charlize Theron | Gay Marriage | News | Piers Morgan

Charlize Theron Speaks Out for Same-Sex Marriage, Won't Marry Till Gay People Can: VIDEO

Theron

Charlize Theron proves once again she is beautiful inside and out, clarifying a statement she made back in September 2009:

"I do have a problem with the fact that our government has not stepped up enough to make [marriage equality] federal...I really understand marriage and I respect marriage. I just feel that we should all have equal rights."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Having seen Charlize on the Link tv ad, and hearing that she's a regular viewer of "Democracy Now", I have had immense respect for her and her views.

I wish more people would stop watching entertainment tv for a few hours everyday and watch some link tv (channel 27 on cable in the bay area).

Posted by: suede | Jun 30, 2011 7:47:13 AM

2. She didn't say she won't marry until gay people can. She sd we deserve the right to be married and she's not interested in it for herself.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 30, 2011 7:51:48 AM

3. Flaming and renowned closeted lesbian but hey ho, at least she speaks out n favor unlike many closeted celebrities.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 30, 2011 8:12:08 AM

4. Andy, I'm surprised you're calling it same-sex and gay marriage. I argued with my straight colleagues a year ago that the terms were equivalent to marriage equality (basically saying that everyone knows the terms are all the same) and they shot me down harshly. And we're a group of writers and editors. You're usually so precise with your language; do you think there's any distinction?

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 30, 2011 8:14:14 AM

5. Yeah, she doesn't say it here but she has said it in the past. Back when she and Stuart Townsend (that's his name right) were together, they made the statement about not marrying until everyone else could legally--and it was quickly swiped by Brangelina.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 30, 2011 8:27:32 AM

6. Paul R: What was their rationale for saying "same-sex marriage" =/= "marriage equality"?

I've never heard anyone argue that view....

Posted by: redball | Jun 30, 2011 8:37:05 AM

7. "Flaming and renowned closeted lesbian"

Your credibility is rather limited when you say that about EVERY celebrity that gets mentioned on Towleroad.

And honestly, lesbians "flame"? Who knew!

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 30, 2011 8:43:49 AM

8. CT has always seemed like a genuinely nice person to me. I remember seeing her interviewed on Inside The Actors Studio once, and I was blown away by just how adorable she is. At one point she totally gets all cute and shy when Lipton asked her to speak Afrikaans to her mother who was in the audience. She didn't have any sort of facade going on. For someone so beautiful to be genuine inside too is a real treat.

Posted by: MT | Jun 30, 2011 8:58:01 AM

9. But, am I mistaken? She's South African, so *her* federal government has, in fact, extended marriage equality to its LGBT community.

Or am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong, I applaud the stance...but has she become a US Citizen at some point?

Posted by: Thomas C | Jun 30, 2011 9:47:28 AM

10. Charlize Theron is a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Also, fun fact: Her mother shot and killed her father. Thank you, Wikipedia.

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 30, 2011 10:36:57 AM

11. Rowan, you're thinking of her portrayal of Aileen Wuornos in Monster.

Posted by: rafi | Jun 30, 2011 10:57:41 AM

12. Do you ever stop to think how many of your family, friends, and acquaintances are happy to sit in the front of the bus while you stand in the back? How many of them would eat at a lunch counter that refused to serve people based on race? What's the difference?

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 30, 2011 4:47:54 PM