Big Brother | Dumbledore | Harry Potter | Reality TV

BigGayDeal.com

Big Brother 13 Contestant Jeff Schroeder Unleashes Homophobic Rant Over Dumbledore: VIDEO

Schroeder

Big Brother 13 contestants Jeff and Kalia got in an argument on the live feed over the fact that J.K. Rowling wrote Dumbledore as a gay character. Jeff believes that Dumbledore couldn't be gay because it's wrong for gays to be around little kids.

ONTD provides a semi-transcript:

Jeff says "Who's Dumbledorf.. who is that, the big guy?".. Rachel then says "why would she want a gay character?" while Jeff in the background says "That would be perverted!" Kalia explains that she made the character so that her kids and other kids would understand homosexuality.

Jeff says "how is he meant to be gay? he doesn't have any gay tendencies..." Kalia interrupts and says "maybe that's the point! so that people like you don't stereotype gay people".

Jeff says "WHAT DO YOU mean stereotypes around gay people? He's in a school with little kids, you can't make THAT GUY GAY!"

Kalia squeeled "WHYYYY? Gay men can't work with little kids!?"

Jeff says "it isn't right to have it in a little kids book, and have the head master locked away in this magical land, be gay. That isn't the right kind of writing to do."

Kalia doesn't see anything wrong with it. "I don't see why not!"

Jeff says "Oh I can see your PC view of it, but it's not the right thing to do..." she asks him "WHY is it PC?"

Jeff says to her "Listen, you know what I'm talking about and don't make it seem like your doing the right thing by saying it's not! You are going to let your kids read a story book where little kids go to fantasy camp without their parents and the guy is GAY?"

Kalia: "Just because he is gay, doesn't mean there is a thing wrong with him!"

Jeff: "GTFO! Don't start with that f'in *****!" While Kalia is trying to defend herself, Jeff is yelling louder "Don't tell me the right answer for f'n T.V.!..."

It's not the first time Jeff, a returning housemate, has shown that he's a homophobe on the show. Some of you may recall that he called Russell a "fag" in Big Brother 11, later saying, “F**k you, you f**king homo faggot”.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP....

Comments

1. What is really unsettling is that everyone else kept their mouths shut.

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Jul 13, 2011 9:12:06 AM

2. And the LGBT community is supposed to look to the younger generation to more fully support our equal rights fights? If so, I hope this bunch is in the minority.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jul 13, 2011 9:16:08 AM

3. I don't know what is more revolting, this guy or the concept of "reality" television. If people would not watch this drivel then people like this loser would not be heard.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 13, 2011 9:21:19 AM

4. Don't they usually have a gay contestant or two on this show? How horrible to be living 24/7 with that jackass.

Posted by: Mark (different one) | Jul 13, 2011 9:22:14 AM

5. So... he did this before... and the producers brought him back? Gee... I wonder why.
    "Let's bring back Jeff. He's controversial."
    At least everyone knows he's a hateful creature.

Posted by: JimmyD | Jul 13, 2011 9:28:50 AM

6. I'll admit it . . .a guilty pleasure, drivel, just as Chris says. But if it only was drivel.

That homophobic rant is a lot more than drivel! I never heard this before, about Jeff. And there is no way in hell I will indulge the guilty pleasure of Big Brother with that a**hole on the set.

It really pisses me off that he did this before and CBS brought him back. I e-mailed CBS with my anger over that decision. I hope this comes to the attention of GLAAD, and I hope people will boycott CBS.

Posted by: Ricco | Jul 13, 2011 9:38:07 AM

7. Just like baseball's disciplining their players for homophobic remarks, it's time for CBS to make an example of the asshat Jeff. Boot him off the show. He's a cocky, SOB anyway and it would be no great loss.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 13, 2011 9:39:34 AM

8. Jeff Schroeder isn't apart of the "younger community." He's 33, from a small Illinois town and he's a self-professed Christian.

Let's be honest with what he is insinuating. He's saying gay people are pedophiles. I'm disappointed no-one stepped in and said something to defend Kalia, but am I surprised? No, because obviously, it's an uncomfortable position to be in, so I don't necessarily blame them for just saying nothing.

Jeff is a homophobe, but the worst part is that he's a fan favorite of the show. His homophobia needs to be highlighted so people can see the true Jeff Schroeder.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 13, 2011 9:40:35 AM

9. Jeff is more than just a reality show contestant. He's a CBS employee. Last year CBS hired him to host a web series that ran as a tie-in for last season's Big Brother. They also put him on The Amazing Race. If CBS covers for him again like they did the last time I'm just going to assume CBS doesn't have a problem with this kind of bigotry.

Posted by: duane | Jul 13, 2011 9:51:12 AM

10. The pain of the learning process is one thing: if characters would argue with each other and move toward tolerance, great. But this guy is a thug who advances the notion that gay=pedophile. The boot seems a mild remedy.

Posted by: Russell | Jul 13, 2011 10:01:58 AM

11. That's the thing though--you never see this side of him on the actual show. When he appeared in a previous season, he and his tv-girlfriend were selectively edited to come across as all-american apple-pie sweetheart underdogs who fought for each other against all odds (ugh).

His "controversial" remarks were never aired and never discussed. I am willing to bet that this conversation will never make it on-air either.

Posted by: StudioTodd | Jul 13, 2011 10:03:41 AM

12. I simply did not ever understand the Jeff/Jordan phenomenon in the first place.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 13, 2011 10:13:52 AM

13. I'm a fan of the show. Kalia's stock just rose in my mind and Jeff's just plumeted. I've seen and been a part of these conversations where two people go at it and everyone else just sits uncomfortably by, all the while squirming and avoiding eye contact. Waiting for an oportunity to change the topic. I never know what to conclude from that. I get that people don't like conflict and that's a big part of it. I'm talking about what their silence means as far as where they stand on the issue.

I want to believe that it means they mostly agree with Kalia but are two cowardly to speak up, as is often the case when ignorance raises its ugly head. I'm guessing if any of them had agreed with Jeff, they would have been more than willing to jump in and share their opinion. I'm guessing Jeff may have sensed he was on the wrong side by how quickly he resorted to profanity in his defense, and it was he who backed down allowing for that opening the rest were looking for to change the subject.

Anyway, that's what I think. :)

Posted by: mytwocents | Jul 13, 2011 10:18:42 AM

14. This seems to be the kind of "drama" that attracts people to Big Brother, no?

Hard to draw the line then, like trying to discipline hockey players only if someone's neck gets broken rather than a run of the mill concussion.

The flaw is in the show - not that it excuses this idiot.

Posted by: MammaBear | Jul 13, 2011 10:20:31 AM

15. I agree with MYTWOCENTS and STUDIOTODD. This is part of the live feed and I doubt it will be on the final show because the producers don't step in to editorialize

Posted by: Kevin | Jul 13, 2011 10:32:40 AM

16. Idiots brought this bigot back no surprise...anything for RATINGS .What inspires me is how Talia stood up and said something what pissed me off was how that cocky jerk shut her down and acted like a pathetic little 2 year with his fingers in his ears going nah nah im not listening nah nah nah.Pathetic.Even more pathetic how some in the bg actually laughed or acted as if they did not care .

Posted by: Michael | Jul 13, 2011 10:32:42 AM

17. Reality shows are dramas without context or purpose. They are a twisted view of the human condition without insight or commentary. Give me a show like "Six Feet Under" any day. Please, I beg of you.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 13, 2011 10:34:31 AM

18. What really took me aback a little was just how hostile his tone was and his eyes, you could literally see the pure hatred in his eyes and demeanor. It sort of makes you just wonder exactly how and why people like him become that way.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 13, 2011 10:41:38 AM

19. "it isn't right to have it in a little kids book, and have the head master locked away in this magical land, be gay. That isn't the right kind of writing to do."

That is one of the strangest construction of statements I've ever heard someone utter about fiction.

And yes, in an ideal world, more people would call out reprehensible statements where they see them. But most people wouldn't, even if they vehemently disagreed with someone. Not out of any notion of politeness, but simply because of risk avoidance.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 13, 2011 10:45:39 AM

20. Reality shows are so contrived that most are not worth watching, especially BB.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 13, 2011 10:53:01 AM

21. I know a completely decent, reasonably intelligent person who is a fan for this show the way other people are fans of oxygen.

If I didn't know this one person, I would say it was utterly impossible for a completely decent, reasonably intelligent person to ever sit through one episode of this show, let alone be a fan of it.

I still do not understand how this is possible, though.

Posted by: justme | Jul 13, 2011 10:53:51 AM

22. "I know a completely decent, reasonably intelligent person who is a fan for this show the way other people are fans of oxygen."

I greatly enjoyed earlier seasons of the show; there was greater diversity in age and intelligence. The show had elements of strategy worth tuning into, I think.

Following the writer's strike though, I tuned out because the contestants became dumber, the plot manipulations more absurd, and strategy was replaced by petty sex appeal.

But even now, it doesn't surprise me that anyone - no matter how intelligent - could find the show interesting to watch. Trashy TV can be a lot of fun, and it can help you decouple from the seriousness in your life.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 13, 2011 11:15:19 AM

23. he just needs a big d*** up his a**.

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Jul 13, 2011 11:19:29 AM

24. I think he's gay....I just have a feeling.

Posted by: wonderer | Jul 13, 2011 11:27:58 AM

25. Kalia's later says here little sister is gay. One of the blogs that follows the live feeds has that info.

Posted by: daddycatcher | Jul 13, 2011 11:36:10 AM