Barack Obama | Dan Choi | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Dan Choi Airs Unhappiness with Obama Over 'DADT', Says He'd Look for a Republican to Support: VIDEO

Choi

Lt. Dan Choi made an appearance on CNN's In the Arena on Friday to discuss the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and aired his unhappiness with Obama's process in repealing the measure, going so far as to say he'd look for a Republican to support in the next election.

Said Choi:

"Why should I endorse President Obama? Listen, I'm not vindictive. I'm not vengeful. If I was vindictive, then I would say, President Obama if you want my endorsement, then I'll just have a study about that. We'll have a comprehensive review working group. And then we'll get you fired. And then we'll start to talk to other people and I'll have a platform for everybody else to hate on you."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, the Obama administration is still trying to get Choi to pay for his own 'DADT' discharge.

Comments

1. The most dangerous place to stand is between Dan Choi and a camera.

Posted by: Andy | Jul 25, 2011 11:21:57 AM

2. Choi's 15 minutes are UP! Nobody likes how complicated the issue was to move forward but the reality is, it has moved forward and the law's been changed. It makes no sense to now cast stones. Where were all of Choi's Republican friends 3 years ago? This guy is just an angry individual who enjoys being victimized. He'll never be happy.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 25, 2011 11:23:39 AM

3. Dan Choi is clearly starting to lose it. What more does he want? DADT is over. It seems to me that he does not want to give up the limelight.

Posted by: Jon | Jul 25, 2011 11:23:47 AM

4. like nobody knew choi was always a republican

it was obvious way back

His 15 minutes can sink with the tea party

Posted by: say what | Jul 25, 2011 11:25:39 AM

5. he's an ass.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 25, 2011 11:27:40 AM

6. Choi has had a very obvious "snap" of sorts in the last two years. I understand the pressure he's been under, the personal duress....but it's becoming harder and harder to stand by him when his comments are now reflection emotional opinions rather than factual realities and logical arguments.

I've championed him for years, but his anti-Obama stance is getting more and more baseless.

I hope he finds some peace, I want him to be better.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 25, 2011 11:34:05 AM

7. i don't know whether to blame his "snap" on the pressures of his military life, the spotlight, being gay, being used as a political pawn, using himself as a political pawn, or the fact that he's a born-again Christian.

either way, i defended Choi for years. Now he just keeps making it harder for me to do that, and I really want to.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 25, 2011 11:35:48 AM

8. It still amazes me that so many people continue to criticize Obama for not doing enough when in reality, he has advanced gay rights enormously in only a short 2.5 year period.

Posted by: J.P. | Jul 25, 2011 11:38:02 AM

9. I don't really agree with Dan Choi, but I can understand where he's coming from. A lot of his wounds are self inflicted, but I can share much of his disappointment with Obama and the entire way DADT repeal was handled.

As for searching for a Republican to support? I'm much older than Dan and I have watched the deterioration of the GOP into an organized mob of right wing ideologues and lunatics. Myself, an old school FDR "New Deal" Democrat see no Republicans I could support, and that includes our current, last moderate Republican, Obama.

So, Dan, if I had your youth and knowing what I know now, I would recommend you find a new home in western Europe or Scandinavia. There are many more progressive countries than the US, and the way things are going, our slide into a theo-fascist state may be our future fate.

Posted by: Bob R | Jul 25, 2011 11:38:51 AM

10. I'm sorry, but given the current political climate, any gay person who is looking for a Republican to support is an idiot. It's been overwhelmingly apparent, over the past few years, that the Republican party has officially and consistently been resoundingly anti-gay on every level and in every conceivable way. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Posted by: octobercountry | Jul 25, 2011 11:39:55 AM

11. He sure seems to whine a lot

Posted by: John Normile | Jul 25, 2011 11:42:06 AM

12. Little kiwi

I had to check on your saying he is a born-again christian and you are right

&

asian american christians overwhelmingly conservative

Can anyone say he is overcompensating for his family's hate of his gayness and he most likely will have a nervous break down eventually and or a suicide attempt if he hasn't already. if people have forgotten he has already been hospitalized at least once for a nervous break down

Posted by: say what | Jul 25, 2011 11:42:56 AM

13. At this point, Dan Choi is not longer the voice of anyone but Dan Choi himself. The absurdity or what his says, the outbursts he makes, and the logic he fails to employ have removed all credibility from his commentary.

Honestly, any gay who suggest we vote Republican loses his clout almost immediately. To suggest we ally and support a party that has consistently ignored or intentionally limited our rights because Democrats are moving "too slowly" is the epitome of clueless.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Jul 25, 2011 11:43:13 AM

14. It's always difficult to compromise your core principles in any way... but as we see here, using only 1 litmus test issue, precludes consideration of any kind of balance.

Surely, there is an in-between step from Obama to voting Republican?

It's a very angry world when a person can see only in black & white.

Media seeks the most provocative position, always. Choi understands this but has lost sight of the fact that he alone is not the issue.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jul 25, 2011 11:45:19 AM

15. I'm really beginning to dislike this guy.

Does he really think voting for a Republican is the answer? REALLY?

Dan, come down off your sanctimonious high horse and think this out rationally.

Posted by: mytwocents | Jul 25, 2011 11:54:21 AM

16. Look, I've voted for a Republican or two in the past. I voted for Arlen Specter in 2006, and I voted for a Republican in a Pittsburgh mayoral race once, because I hate Luke Ravenstahl THAT MUCH.

But anybody who can look at today's Republican Party--who are basically a bunch of anarchists holding the country's economy hostage, stripping essential programs of their funding before they even consider raising a single tax or shrinking the Defense budget--and say that they'll give them the keys to the White House is CRAZY.

Does Choi think Romney or Perry or Pawlenty or, for goodness sake, BACHMANN is going to be some kind of way forward for the gay community--or for any American who isn't filthy rich?

Posted by: AdamA | Jul 25, 2011 11:59:08 AM

17. Attention junkie!

The fact some people are STILL complaining after Obama when EVERY GOP candidate has gone on record to say how much they despise you, is frankly insane.

Bob R

Dan wouldn't last one MINUTE in Europe. We are reasonable and deal with reasonable people instead of histrionics.

Do you think all the gay fights in the UK-where I am based-was passed because of mentalists like Dan? Or people who kept on bitching about Tony Blair? NO. We had a strategy, we lobbied, used our brain cells and slowly but surely advanced rights in the country but this was NEVER gonna happen without a left wing government for two terms.

Funny thing is, there a lot gay right wingers in the UK but you won't see em vote for the right! They know which side their bread is buttered!

Now that the Tories are in, common sense again prevailed in the country where we knew we could NOT have a pure right wing government so we voted for a coalition with the liberals.

Dan has no place in Europe. He is American to the bone. In fact,even mainland Europe could not take his attention seeking ways.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 25, 2011 12:00:13 PM

18. Oh dear. Poor Dan. I've always liked him but I'm afraid he's going off the deep end. Maybe PTSD is in the soup. He's definitely getting more and more "out there." I'm sorry for it.

Posted by: Danny | Jul 25, 2011 12:04:31 PM

19. Go join GoProud while you're at it.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jul 25, 2011 12:05:53 PM

20. Again, where was this strident twit's righteous anger during the EIGHT F*CKING YEARS of Bush/Cheney? He's born-again? That says it all. Self-hatred is not pretty.

Posted by: djork | Jul 25, 2011 12:10:27 PM

21. Mr. Choi...good luck finding a Republican as sympathetic to you as Obama. And I hope like hell you never want to marry someone you love and expect to get federal rights. Let's see how any Republicans will work for your benefit there.

I understand Choi but it's time he stop thinking these issues are about him and glance at the bigger picture. We all (well maybe not all but many of us...) have issues with Obama. And yes, he's made mistakes. But the comparison to any Republican candidate is patently absurd and out-and-out stupid. They Republican Presidental candidates are a slate of the regressive, the ignorant, the bigotted, and the embarrassing.

Mr. Choi, you may not be happy but you're being ridiculous. Figuratively, I think you'll swiftly find out what it's like to be a man without a country.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 25, 2011 12:11:57 PM

22. I'm sure Sarah Palin or Buchann would be more his style. While it took Obama 3 years to repeal DADT, he got it done. And now he's working on DOMA.

Fighting the Right Wingers on these subjects is not the easiest thing in the world and with an election coming up we do NOT want the right wingers taking control and undoing what Obama has done.

Posted by: macmantoo | Jul 25, 2011 12:17:34 PM

23. While I certainly don't agree with Dan Choi's idea of supporting a Republican for President, I can fully understand his disenchantment with Obama. Many of us on this blog have shared that same disenchantment. While DADT seems to be finally ending in September (God knows what glitches there might be), many forget that it practically took dragging Obama, kicking and screaming, to get to this point. It has been a disappointing and frustrating 2.5 years waiting for the "fierce advocate" to do the right thing. He virtually took the joy out of what should have been a scintillating victory. And we should not forget that.

I don't know Dan Choi's background, whether he's born again, conservative, Republican or whatever. But I do know, in the matter of DADT, he's been the true "fierce advocate."

Posted by: Vince | Jul 25, 2011 12:21:53 PM

24. I'm no fan of Barack Obama, either, nor do I intend to vote for him or any candidate for any office that will not acknowledge that I am their equal, but it amazes me how much I can agree with Dan Choi and yet intensely dislike him at the same time.

Though I think he is just fundamentally un-likeable, it's also been clear for some time that he is in some way or ways mentally and/or emotionally ill. At this point, it's simply abuse of a disabled person to put him in front of a camera, and I mean that in all sincerity.

Posted by: ohplease | Jul 25, 2011 12:22:58 PM

25. hmmm who in the republican party can he support... oh yeah Michelle Bachmann. Good luck with that...

Posted by: erick | Jul 25, 2011 12:28:59 PM