Bullying | Comic Books | News

Pro-Gay Comic Taps 'The Power Within' To Combat Bullying

ThePowerWithin1-1 Gay comic creators Mark Brill and Charles 'Zan' Christensen have created what may be the best comic book of the year: The Power Within.

Published by LGBT comic company Northwest Press, 'The Power Within' follows a 13-year old boy named Shannon who turns to his inner superhero to combat anti-gay bullying.

And not surprisingly, the men found inspiration in their personal experiences and real life news, including Rutgers student Tyler Clementi's suicide last September.

From Christensen's introductory letter:

Fall of 2010 was a turning point. The news reports acknowledged the role anti-gay bullying played in [Tyler and others'] deaths... Peoples' eyes were opened to the fact that anti-gay harassment shouldn't have to be a part of growing up any more than sexism or racism should and that there were grave consequences for ignoring the problem.
...
Like Mark and I, [Shannon] turned to comic book heroes for his escape; he found a superhero within him to help him deal with his day-to-day challenges.

If you're struggling, be that superhero. Fight the good fight to be who you are, without apology.

The Power Within will be available at comic shops soon, but Bleeding Cool reports that Northwest will also distribute the special one-shot issue to student and school organizations for free.

Check out some preview pages, AFTER THE JUMP...

Images via Bleeding Cool:

ThePowerWithin2-1

ThePowerWithin3-1
ThePowerWithin4-1
ThePowerWithin5-1
ThePowerWithin6-1
ThePowerWithin7-1
ThePowerWithin8-1

Comments

1. This is a great book. Yay, Zan and Mark!

Posted by: dekkoparsnip | Jul 30, 2011 10:56:51 AM

2. That cover is something else. Um.

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 30, 2011 11:02:02 AM

3. Ummm PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who thought of Jackie Chan Adventures after seeing that cover!?!?!

Posted by: xtincta | Jul 30, 2011 3:50:55 PM

4. Thanks for covering the book, Andrew B!
    We've got a great distribution partner with Diamond Comic Distributors, so the book will be available in comics shops all over the place. I urge readers to ask for it at their local shops!

Posted by: Zan | Jul 30, 2011 6:00:46 PM

5. You know, most of the gay kids I know are remarkably intelligent. If the panels above are any indication of the intellectual level of the book, I don't think it will be a success.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jul 31, 2011 3:50:11 AM

6. Nice. But straight high school guys don't ever use the term "honey."

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 31, 2011 5:07:15 AM

7. Actually reminds me a bit of "American Dragon"

Posted by: ravewulf | Jul 31, 2011 3:09:25 PM

8. Sorry you feel that way, Bill. I think Shannon *is* a smart kid, but he's overwhelmed by what he's being put through and maybe doesn't make all the best choices or always accept the help that's out there. If gay teens reading this see his struggles and say, "I can do better than that," then Mark and I will be happy as clams. Because we want them to do great.

Posted by: Zan | Jul 31, 2011 10:36:45 PM

9. Your comment brightened my day :')
    Lately I'm finding less and less time to devote to the blog but do plan to put back some love into it. Cheers, friend!

Posted by: business loans | Aug 19, 2011 6:31:26 AM