Film | Henry Cavill | News | Superheroes

BigGayDeal.com

First Look: Henry Cavill in 'Superman' Garb

Cavill

Warner Bros. has sent out the first official shot of Henry Cavill as Superman in Man of Steel. Filming on the Zack Snyder film is set to begin imminently in Chicago.

Full frame still, AFTER THE JUMP...

Superman

Comments

1. Looks more like Herman Munster than Superman

Posted by: Joe Mama | Aug 4, 2011 10:03:22 AM

2. H-O-T!

Posted by: matt | Aug 4, 2011 10:11:00 AM

3. @Matt HOT doesn't do him justice! WOOT

Posted by: John | Aug 4, 2011 10:14:17 AM

4. I like Cavill - he was excellent in The Tudors. But I am not liking this look for Superman. Call me a purist, but the costume is too dark - this is Superman not Batman. And the hairstyle is all wrong - the Man of Steel must have a spit curl.

Posted by: Hank | Aug 4, 2011 10:14:47 AM

5. I love Henry but that hair looks like a plastic wig from an old 'Mr. Potato Head' play set.

Posted by: sparks | Aug 4, 2011 10:18:15 AM

6. As beautiful as Henry Cavill is... he just doesn't fit as Superman to me. Although he looks pretty fit in those tights. When Matt Bomer was supposedly in the running for this I thought he would've made a better choice. But maybe he'll surprise me... Heath Ledger certainly surprised me with his Joker.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Aug 4, 2011 10:19:48 AM

7. henry looks hot (as if he couldn't) but i fear that no one will ever be able to come close to christopher reeve

Posted by: Joseph Klock | Aug 4, 2011 10:20:32 AM

8. This is at least 75% of my fears for this film in one single image. The entire world loves Superman. So why won't they make one single film about the Superman the entire world loves?

Posted by: justme | Aug 4, 2011 10:23:00 AM

9. I like it. I know purists disagree, but Superman had to lose keeping his red panties on outside his pants, and is the spit curl really that necessary?

Posted by: tranquilo | Aug 4, 2011 10:24:38 AM

10. Hmmm... I'm not convinced.

Posted by: Bravo | Aug 4, 2011 10:32:23 AM

11. not cute at all :(

Posted by: Johnny | Aug 4, 2011 10:32:26 AM

12. eh

Brandon Roth was more convincing

Posted by: say what | Aug 4, 2011 10:36:27 AM

13. is superman supposed to appear psychotic at this point in our cultural evolution?

Posted by: barilla | Aug 4, 2011 10:48:46 AM

14. A moment of silence for the exquisite, hunky, and underappreciated beauty of Brandon Routh. He can save me any day.

Posted by: Lee | Aug 4, 2011 10:59:32 AM

15. ...another reboot of "Superman"? What? They can't come up with something original that is not based on a comic book?

Love HC in "the Tudors", but Superman has been done to death. Move along folks.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 4, 2011 11:00:17 AM

16. I adore Zack Snyder, his writing, his directing... his style as a whole is an amazing event at any film he pilots. But this is not Superman. The costume looks like the the aborted fetus of Raimi's Spiderman and Branagh's Thor.

And yes, when a character has created a world-wide following spawning comics, TV shows, action figures, films, mugs, costumes, toothbrushes, breakfast cereals (true story... http://breakfastbowl.blogspot.com/2006/06/superman-cereal.html) and millions, and millions of fans, then yes, the "red over-wear and spit curl" are necessary. Its iconic. Equate it to taking away the Joker's green hair.

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 4, 2011 11:06:52 AM

17. I've already seen enough rotten Superman movies. I don't need to see another one. I like superhero movies and that's exactly why I skipped Green Lantern. I'll be skipping this one, too, and just wait for the next Marvel Studios film or the final Batman to come out.

Posted by: justme | Aug 4, 2011 11:15:07 AM

18. I still would've gone with Joe Manganiello.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 4, 2011 11:20:47 AM

19. Looks nothing like Superman. He doesn't look "boy next door" enough. Superman should have that.. "I'm innocent even though I can rip you in two" look about him. :\

Posted by: Coony | Aug 4, 2011 11:24:59 AM

20. A moment of silence for the exquisite, hunky, and underappreciated beauty of Brandon Routh. He can save me any day.

Posted by: Lee | Aug 4, 2011 11:30:06 AM

21. As much as I LOVE Joe Manganiello, they really needed a strong actor for the re-boot and Cavill will provide that. Having said that, i'm not diggin the look. I noticed the spit curl missing right away. Ugh.

Posted by: Tuck | Aug 4, 2011 11:31:59 AM

22. Won't rush out to see it.Christopher Reeve perfected the character.Brandon Routh was boring,dull & wooden as was the movie.And this reboot looks as mentioned a darker film which i don't mind,it worked for Batman.So movie makers when are we going to see a big screen "Land Of The Giants"?But made intelligently closely following the series,not a really bad version as with Thunderbirds,Lost In Space & the list goes on.

Posted by: John | Aug 4, 2011 11:39:32 AM

23. Joe Manganiello is super hot, but so is Henry Cavill. I like them both and HC's pic is so hot!

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 4, 2011 11:40:13 AM

24. Love it! I like the reboot idea and while I think Brandon Routh did a fine job, SUPERMAN RETURNS was not the greatest Superman movie. I think we should wait until the movie comes out though before passing judgment.

Posted by: Bobby | Aug 4, 2011 11:56:51 AM

25. totally agree with bobby... cavill is a good actor. it's up to him to convince audiences of his krytonian heritage, not the costume. perhaps its best to see the movie first before getting all up in arms? just a thought...

Posted by: matt | Aug 4, 2011 12:06:11 PM