Puerto Rican Republican Has A Perfectly Good Reason For Being On Grindr

It's been an exciting week in the ongoing project to classify new specimens of anti-gay, gay politicians -- the Homo Repulicanus. First, there was the Indiana state senator who hired a teenage callboy off Craigslist and took him to a hotel room for a fatherly chat about baseball. Now there's this: a Republican politician in Puerto Rico caught with a Grindr profile.

Arrango

Puerto Rican senator Roberto Arango, formerly the vice-chairman of George Bush's 2004 campaign in the territory, told local media that he can't confirm or deny that the bare-chested man in the pic is him - which is pretty much a roundabout way of admitting, "It's me."

But before we jump to conclusions, consider his perfectly plausible explanation. He's been working out lately, you see, and documenting his progress with regular self-portraits.

"You know I've been losing weight," he said. "As I shed that weight, I've been taking pictures."

And isn't it just so typically straight of him to upload those pictures to a gay sex site!

Perhaps Arango is innocent of the insinuations being made in the media after all. In one alleged pic, he is on all fours - winking, shall we say, at Puerto Rico's Grindr community. (We won't post the very NSFW pic here, but you can see for yourself at Gawker.) This is clearly a picture of a man exercising his anus - I swear I've seen this very maneuver in a Jane Fonda work-out video. (Clench, unclench. Clench, unclench.) And to think that this scandal could taint his career forever.

To be fair, even if he was on Grindr trolling for men, the hypocrisy angle is weak. Sure, Arango worked for a presidential campaign that got people to the polls in 2004 by shamelessly stoking fears of gay marriage. But not once in his legislative career has Arango come out against anus pics.

Comments

1. It's an Indiana Senator.

Posted by: Cricket | Aug 27, 2011 10:13:24 AM

2. Thanks for spotting that. It's changed.

Posted by: Penn | Aug 27, 2011 10:24:53 AM

3. I say we give him a break. Professional bleaching can be expensive. How else are u gonna tell that it worked? Ask your mom or your friends? I don't think so. They'll just lie and say your anus looks great, no matter what it looks like.

No. You have to upload to Grinder to get an unbiased review.
    (wink wink)

Posted by: Sp8ce | Aug 27, 2011 10:36:18 AM

4. LOL..welcome Penn! I do enjoy your writing skills. Oh, and I agree with SP8CE, it's the ONLY way to get an unbiased review!

Posted by: javo | Aug 27, 2011 10:43:14 AM

5. The last time he showed us his @$$h0le it was named Dubya.

Posted by: Reggie | Aug 27, 2011 10:51:19 AM

6. Do we know this guy is anti-gay, other than the fact itself of the Bush campaign? I have no problem pointing out the hypocrisy angle if the guy takes anti-gay stands as a Senator, but if we're laughing just because the guy is a gay Republican, I think we're skating on thinner ice here.

Posted by: Rich | Aug 27, 2011 10:52:11 AM

7. Rich, JoeMyGod has reported that "[i]n 2009 he voted in favor of Resolution 99 which would have amended Puerto Rico's constitution to ban the recognition of same-sex marriages (it didn't pass). He has been opposed to civil union bills and in 2004 he used a rubber duck and made it quack to make fun of an opponent (in Puerto Rico, the word for duck, 'pato,' means faggot)."

Posted by: Peter | Aug 27, 2011 11:10:35 AM

8. He's a Republican, Rich -- and his party wants us DEAD.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 27, 2011 11:11:07 AM

9. @ Peter: Thanks for the details. These hypocrites make me sick. I hope this guy never gets laid or reelected again.

Posted by: mike128 | Aug 27, 2011 11:44:33 AM

10. Roberto is a gay man...on business trips, which are frequent.
    I am curious though if these were found on Grindr for PR guys or were they found in the states? I know he uses Grindr like a pfene when abroad.

Posted by: prisle2010 | Aug 27, 2011 11:51:44 AM

11. We need to stop grouping all Republicans into one just as we don't like to be grouped as one. There are plenty of Republicans who are gay and gay-friendly. Let's face it, the 2 parties are not what they used to be.

Posted by: javo | Aug 27, 2011 11:51:45 AM

12. Grindr is for losers. Sorry.

Posted by: Max | Aug 27, 2011 11:54:48 AM

13. javo

BS

there might gay friendly repub voters and a veru few who no longer hold office, but not a 1 in office supports us

Fred "going nowhere" for POTUS repub nom doesn't count since he doesn't hold office

Posted by: say what | Aug 27, 2011 12:01:41 PM

14. "Do we know this guy is anti-gay, other than the fact itself of the Bush campaign?"

What exactly is your anti-gay criteria -- public executions of homosexuals?

Posted by: ohplease | Aug 27, 2011 12:05:19 PM

15. That's Fred "Cognative Dissonance" Karger

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 27, 2011 12:14:48 PM

16. But you know how some latin men can be...as long as he is the top, or the one getting sucked...that ain't gay.

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 27, 2011 12:16:13 PM

17. David Ehrenstein

Thanx for his name

I apologize for the typos in my post

Posted by: say what | Aug 27, 2011 12:18:37 PM

18. SAYWHAT, you are absolutely right when it comes to those holding office. Sorry, I didn't make my thoughts clear. I was talking about Rep voters. My apologies.

Posted by: javo | Aug 27, 2011 12:23:56 PM

19. How can any gay man or woman voting republican, a party that consistently opposes our rights, equality, you name it, and claim they are gay friendly? Can any of them name one piece of equality legislation we can expect to be introduced if a one of them gets the White House in 2012? Only 8 of them voted for repeal of DADT compared to almost all democrats and not one has voted for repeal of DOMA or will. It's quite clear to me that gays voting republican do NOT have equality high on ther agenda. It's more about fattening their portfolios and avoiding paying their fair share of taxex, bot of primary importance. To hell with the rest of us, just as long as they've got theirs.It's a mean-spirited selfish party that cares nothing about the middle class or the poor.

Posted by: robert in nyc | Aug 27, 2011 12:27:29 PM

20. He is a member of Partido Popular Democratico [Popular Democratic Party]. Also, he is not a U.S. Senator.

Posted by: Bobby | Aug 27, 2011 12:32:28 PM

21. Bobby

yepp & NOPE!

His own wiki page

Puerto Rican Senate

REPUBLICAN

Posted by: say what | Aug 27, 2011 12:45:26 PM

22. Thanks for the info, Peter. So, another hypocrite. I say let's pile on.

As for all Republicans being evil on our issues, this Democrat says it may be correct for the majority (or even the vast majority) and for the party itself, but not for all individuals. The Mayor of San Diego is totally pro-gay: pro-marriage, anti-DADT, pro-ENDA, etc. And he's a Republican.

Posted by: Rich | Aug 27, 2011 1:07:04 PM

23. FIBA.com ranks Puerto Rico men's basketball as 15th in the world. Just saying.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Aug 27, 2011 1:38:05 PM

24. The senator from Ohio was surely not the first -- and certainly won't be last.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 27, 2011 2:41:09 PM

25. "And to think that this scandal could taint his career forever."

Brilliant writing...Bravo!!!!