Puerto Rican Republican Has A Perfectly Good Reason For Being On Grindr

It's been an exciting week in the ongoing project to classify new specimens of anti-gay, gay politicians — the Homo Repulicanus. First, there was the Indiana state senator who hired a teenage callboy off Craigslist and took him to a hotel room for a fatherly chat about baseball. Now there's this: a Republican politician in Puerto Rico caught with a Grindr profile.

Arrango

Puerto Rican senator Roberto Arango, formerly the vice-chairman of George Bush's 2004 campaign in the territory, told local media that he can't confirm or deny that the bare-chested man in the pic is him – which is pretty much a roundabout way of admitting, "It's me."

But before we jump to conclusions, consider his perfectly plausible explanation. He's been working out lately, you see, and documenting his progress with regular self-portraits.

"You know I've been losing weight," he said. "As I shed that weight, I've been taking pictures."

And isn't it just so typically straight of him to upload those pictures to a gay sex site!

Perhaps Arango is innocent of the insinuations being made in the media after all. In one alleged pic, he is on all fours – winking, shall we say, at Puerto Rico's Grindr community. (We won't post the very NSFW pic here, but you can see for yourself at Gawker.) This is clearly a picture of a man exercising his anus – I swear I've seen this very maneuver in a Jane Fonda work-out video. (Clench, unclench. Clench, unclench.) And to think that this scandal could taint his career forever.

To be fair, even if he was on Grindr trolling for men, the hypocrisy angle is weak. Sure, Arango worked for a presidential campaign that got people to the polls in 2004 by shamelessly stoking fears of gay marriage. But not once in his legislative career has Arango come out against anus pics.

Comments

1. Sp8ce says

I say we give him a break. Professional bleaching can be expensive. How else are u gonna tell that it worked? Ask your mom or your friends? I don’t think so. They’ll just lie and say your anus looks great, no matter what it looks like.

No. You have to upload to Grinder to get an unbiased review.
    (wink wink)

2. Rich says

Do we know this guy is anti-gay, other than the fact itself of the Bush campaign? I have no problem pointing out the hypocrisy angle if the guy takes anti-gay stands as a Senator, but if we’re laughing just because the guy is a gay Republican, I think we’re skating on thinner ice here.

3. Peter says

Rich, JoeMyGod has reported that “[i]n 2009 he voted in favor of Resolution 99 which would have amended Puerto Rico’s constitution to ban the recognition of same-sex marriages (it didn’t pass). He has been opposed to civil union bills and in 2004 he used a rubber duck and made it quack to make fun of an opponent (in Puerto Rico, the word for duck, ‘pato,’ means faggot).”

4. prisle2010 says

Roberto is a gay man…on business trips, which are frequent.
    I am curious though if these were found on Grindr for PR guys or were they found in the states? I know he uses Grindr like a pfene when abroad.

5. javo says

We need to stop grouping all Republicans into one just as we don’t like to be grouped as one. There are plenty of Republicans who are gay and gay-friendly. Let’s face it, the 2 parties are not what they used to be.

6. say what says

javo

BS

there might gay friendly repub voters and a veru few who no longer hold office, but not a 1 in office supports us

Fred “going nowhere” for POTUS repub nom doesn’t count since he doesn’t hold office

7. ohplease says

“Do we know this guy is anti-gay, other than the fact itself of the Bush campaign?”

What exactly is your anti-gay criteria — public executions of homosexuals?

8. javo says

SAYWHAT, you are absolutely right when it comes to those holding office. Sorry, I didn’t make my thoughts clear. I was talking about Rep voters. My apologies.

9. robert in nyc says

How can any gay man or woman voting republican, a party that consistently opposes our rights, equality, you name it, and claim they are gay friendly? Can any of them name one piece of equality legislation we can expect to be introduced if a one of them gets the White House in 2012? Only 8 of them voted for repeal of DADT compared to almost all democrats and not one has voted for repeal of DOMA or will. It’s quite clear to me that gays voting republican do NOT have equality high on ther agenda. It’s more about fattening their portfolios and avoiding paying their fair share of taxex, bot of primary importance. To hell with the rest of us, just as long as they’ve got theirs.It’s a mean-spirited selfish party that cares nothing about the middle class or the poor.

10. Rich says

Thanks for the info, Peter. So, another hypocrite. I say let’s pile on.

As for all Republicans being evil on our issues, this Democrat says it may be correct for the majority (or even the vast majority) and for the party itself, but not for all individuals. The Mayor of San Diego is totally pro-gay: pro-marriage, anti-DADT, pro-ENDA, etc. And he’s a Republican.

11. P Delgado says

Senator Roberto Arango is a senator in the Puertorrican legislature who happens to be the majority’s spoke person in PR’s Senate. He is not a member of the Partido Popular Democrático, currently a minority in our legislature. He is a member of the PARTIDO NUEVO PROGRESISTA as is our Governor and both are active members of the GOP from the USA.

12. Mrs. SIppi says

It’s delusional to think that we should not assume that Republicans being in office is a bad thing for GLBT folks. Just as it is for the economy, the middle class, working people, those in poverty, and those who believe in women’s bodily integrity, the arts, and public education. You can lust after the handful of gay-friendly republicans in hopes that they get elected and you can get married while everyone else gets screwed, but my liberation is tied up with all of these struggles and until the Republican party does jack!@#! that shows they want the whole country to succeed, I will disparage them as a group and a social class with ease and abandon.

13. Jim J says

NY’s gay marriage law would NOT have passed but for Republican votes in the Senate. As long as we paint everyone with a broad brush, we are really just painting ourselves into a corner.

14. Craig says

Another self-loathing gay man who got caught. When will these idiots learn?

I hope he has a change of heart and changes his attitute, otherwise, to HELL with him.