Amy Winehouse | Deaths | News | Tony Bennett

Amy Winehouse Had No Illegal Drugs in Her System When She Died

No illegal substances contributed to the death of Amy Winehouse, according to toxicology reports returned to her family, their spokesman Chris Goodman said today.

Bennett_winehouse Reuters reports:

In a statement, he added that alcohol was present, but that it could not be determined what part, if any, it played in her death.

"Toxicology results returned to the Winehouse family by authorities have confirmed that there were no illegal substances in Amy's system at the time of her death," the statement read. "Results indicate that alcohol was present but it cannot be determined as yet if it played a role in her death."

It added that Winehouse's family were awaiting the outcome of an October inquest into the "Rehab" singer's death.

Winehouse had recently recorded a duet with Tony Bennett titled "Body and Soul" for Bennett's upcoming album. A snippet of the song has just been released.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. IRONY!

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 23, 2011 11:34:19 AM

2. "NO ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES".

That's a very carefully worded release. One can be prescribed drugs like vicodin etc, which are not "illegal", but, in high doses or combined with alcohol can be lethal.

Posted by: jtramon | Aug 23, 2011 11:39:01 AM

3. I can't remember where I read this, but I heard she was told by her doctor to gradually ease herself off drugs and alcohol. She refused and died of a seizure as a result.

Posted by: Christian | Aug 23, 2011 12:01:27 PM

4. Nice song

Posted by: tranquilo | Aug 23, 2011 1:21:57 PM

5. Yup, cold turkey sobriety by a seasoned alcoholic can lead to seizures. That's why detox under medical supoervision is strongly advised.

Posted by: KevInPDX | Aug 23, 2011 3:20:18 PM

6. Amy, you are greatly missed. By your dealer.

Posted by: Guest | Aug 23, 2011 11:21:29 PM

7. I'm ashamed to admit this but, honestly, I never liked her. I was ruefully judgemental about her because she seemed like such a loser. Another drug addicted singer who resisted her loved one's care and trashed her own life.
    Right before she died, the Biography Channel told her story and I was blown away. What an amazing talent. There's so much pain and angst in that voice and her songs are so soulful they cut like a razor.
    I've been a major R&B fan most of my life and never knew this little English girl was re-inventing R&B/Soul.
    I've since downloaded everything by her I can get my hands on.
    This comment, here, is sort of my public apology for being so stupid as to judge a book by it's cover. What a fool...

Posted by: Scot | Aug 24, 2011 4:01:47 AM

8. My Aunt got throat cancer 5 years after she quit smoking. You can only abuse your body so much before it gives out and even if she was off drugs, the damage was done.

Posted by: Chadd | Aug 24, 2011 9:47:57 AM