Film | Michael J. Fox | News

BigGayDeal.com

Nike Unveils Air Mag 'Marty McFly' Shoe: Follow-Up VIDEO

Earlier today I posted about the imminent release of the Back to the Future Marty McFly Air Mag. It has now been introduced at Universal Studios.

2_airmag Just 1500 pairs will be produced. They're all being auctioned on eBay starting tonight through September 18, and all proceeds will go to the Michael J. Fox Parkinsons Foundation.

Nice Kicks writes:

Leading up to the release of the Nike Air Mag, a 50 million match grant was given to the Michael J. Fox Foundation by Sergey Brin and Anne Wojcicki; they will match all donations to the foundation, up to 50 million dollars, through the end of 2012.

“We wanted to translate the excitement people have for the ‘greatest shoe never made’ and for the Back to the Future into positive action,” said Mark Parker, CEO of Nike. “But the long term objective is to raise awareness so the Foundation can achieve their goal of eradicating Parkinson’s disease.

Watch Nike's video featuring the shoe, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is great and all that, but I'm sure I speak for the entire universe when I say that I had *kinda* been holding out for a hoverboard to be invented first :(

Posted by: Guyliner | Sep 8, 2011 6:43:31 PM

2. In other news, Nike is in bed with a confessed/convicted dog murderer having recently signed an endorsement deal worth 7 figures with Michael Vick.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 8, 2011 7:04:15 PM

3. So they don't actually self-lace?

FAIL

Posted by: nodnarb | Sep 8, 2011 7:15:25 PM

4. Michael Vick paid his debt to society. I realize some will never be able to get past the dog fighting, but America is about second chances. He has the right to make a living and provide for his family just like anyone else.

They killed dogs, not people. It was brutal, but millions of chickens, pigs, and cows are slaughtered everyday to eat. Many of them do not live in great conditions. Such as chickens whose feet have never touched the ground or seen sunlight.

I was hoping that these shoes would be available in stores. But if they don't actually self lace then major FAIL. Good for the charity though!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 8, 2011 7:47:58 PM

5. Michael Vick tortured animals to death. A lot. For a long time. For fun.

He has a right to make a living, not a right to make millions and millions and millions of dollars. However, if he were working at my neighborhood store or restaurant, you better believe I would never step foot in the place again, and I certainly won't support his being given wealth and privilege that should go to somebody who isn't a psychopath. That's because I have a right to refuse to financially support psychopaths -- regardless of where or how they're employed.

What IS wrong with Texas, exactly?

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 8, 2011 9:03:29 PM

6. @ OHPLEASE

Go ahead and don't "support" him then. Are you a sports fan or NFL fan anyway? His chosen profession, that is very specialized and not everyone can do, and that also generates BILLIONS of dollars in revenue, just so happens to pay its employees millions of dollars. I don't know where you're from, but the USA is a free market society.

As far as what is wrong with Texas??

Nothing more than any other state in the country. We have the most fortune 500 companies here besides NYC. I live in Houston which has an openly gay mayor. Where do you live?

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 8, 2011 10:12:03 PM

7. I thought this was about shoes? Anyway, I'm with Guyliner. The shoes are great, but I'd rather have the hover board.

Posted by: Ishaq | Sep 9, 2011 10:23:55 AM

8. I live in Houston also. Its a nice place. Thanks for standing up for H-town Brian in Texas!

Posted by: Lazlo | Sep 9, 2011 3:21:21 PM