Comments

1. Mike says

It’s been a few months since I’ve seen that video, so what I don’t know about it could fill a book. But aside from it being an unfortunate crime and definitely ignorant, that’s a real prison sentence there it seems like longer than I would have thought.

2. johnny says

“I don’t care who the victim is. This was not a political statement,” he said.

That pretty much sums it up. If you don’t care who the victim is, then you’re blind to the fact that it’s a hate crime. IMO, she deserved a longer sentence.

3. ohplease says

The scumbag deserved a much, much, much longer sentence and why in the world would it have been a problem to make a political statement? That’s what hate crimes are all about. They’re a political statement that if you can’t exercise enough control over your hate, you go to prison for even longer.

4. Artie says

This sentence should represent some added prison time for being a hate crime; otherwise, hate crime laws lose their effectiveness. You have to compare this sentence with similar prosecutions in Baltimore County which were not hate crimes. Is anyone able to do that?

5. Dave says

The sad truth is that five years of actual prison time is pretty lengthy for an assault conviction–any assault conviction–these days. You’d spend longer in jail for a non-violent drug arrest.

When it comes to criminal justice, if it doesn’t involve drugs, rape, or murder, we just don’t care.

6. Fenrox says

I don’t see how 10 or 15 years for a 19 year old girl is going to somehow yield better results than a 5 year stay. And more or less, hate crime laws are unnecessary, they should be reserved for situations of intense malice and bigotry, like an organization going around and lynching people, not for regular attacks that are peppered with hate words.

They were a nice idea but not a good one.

7. says

The sad truth is: THIS WASN’T A HATE CRIME. Even the victim said so herself. I’m frankly shocked that she got sentenced to 5 years for a girlbrawl. How many videos are there on Youtube of fights JUST LIKE THIS where there aren’t even any arrests. The only reason this made the news is because the victim is transgendered and gay groups wanted to pimp her out as a martyr. To which she released a video saying that attack had nothing to do with her being trans.

I’m so over this story. Yea, the attackers are scum, but really? 5 years in jail? When she comes out she’s gonna be WAY WORSE than she was before had they just left her off with some community service and anger management.

8. David says

Was it even a hate crime? I got told the reason she attacked her was because she was flirting with her boyfriend. I’m just curious because any crime against a minority nowadays seems to be instantly branded a hate crime.