Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Iraq | Military | News | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

GOP Debate Crowd Boos Gay Soldier Serving in Iraq: VIDEO

Hill

During tonight's FOX News/Google GOP presidential debate, a YouTube question regarding 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' from Stepehen Hill, a soldier serving in Iraq, was directed at Rick Santorum.

Asked Hill: “Do you plan to circumvent the progress that has been made for gay and lesbian soldiers in the military?”

In a disgusting display of disrespect, Hill was booed by members of the audience at the debate.

Answered Santorum:

"Any type of sexual activity has absolutely no place in the military. And the fact that they are making it a point to include it as a provision within the military - that we are going to recognize a group of people and give them a special privilege, I think tries to inject social policy into the military and the military's job is to defend our country. We need to give the military, which is all volunteer, the ability to do so in a way that is most efficient and protective of our men and women in uniform and I believe this undermines that ability."

Megyn Kelly followed up: "So what would you do with soldiers like Stephen Hill. Now he's out. What would you do as president?"

Said Santorum: "What we're doing right now is playing social experimentation with our military right now, and that's tragic. Going forward we would reinstitute that policy..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. just disgusting

Posted by: DJR | Sep 22, 2011 10:58:35 PM

2. Santorum=dingleberry. Not surprised by the lowbrow booing of the soldier and his question.

Posted by: albert | Sep 22, 2011 11:00:33 PM

3. I didn't think Santorum could sink any lower, but chalking up gay soldiers NOT being removed from duty as indulging "sex" and as a "special right" for gays, he's done it.

And now that we know how Megyn Kelly feels about gay topics, the longer she stays at Fox News, the more a whore she is.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 22, 2011 11:01:53 PM

4. the booing was by me at least expected and he was right about one thing Santorum: "Any type of sexual activity has absolutely no place in the military" but that’s not what DADT was about it prevented any of the brave and honorable men and women who chose to serve from having a personal life outside the military if the happened to be gay and that’s why it was so unfair and wrong not that I expected that animal to admit that

Posted by: eds | Sep 22, 2011 11:06:00 PM

5. This is your republican party folks. They don't want us to exist. Lets crawl back into the closet.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 22, 2011 11:06:40 PM

6. Shows how out of touch Republicans are with public opinion

Posted by: DJR | Sep 22, 2011 11:06:40 PM

7. I was disappointed Santorum was the only candidate to answer this question. I would have liked to see where the others lined up as well.

Posted by: RTHK | Sep 22, 2011 11:09:43 PM

8. Disgraceful...even at our basest, most partisan moments, those in the armed forces should be treated with the utmost respect for their sacrifices and dedication to our country.

Although I already thought pretty lowly of the candidates, I'm shocked to hear they let this happen. It's shameful that those people were so focused on his sexuality that they couldn't show respect for his service for America.

Posted by: C | Sep 22, 2011 11:10:08 PM

9. Shocking. Offensive. Unpatriotic.

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 22, 2011 11:10:39 PM

10. I hope Americans are rational enought to see how terrible these people really are. None of them are worth a dime in our American fabric. They are useless, destructive, and sickening. There is no room for them! They need to shut up or leave! http://www.goodasgay.com/2011/09/gay-american-soldier-booed.html

Posted by: Jacob Woods | Sep 22, 2011 11:12:41 PM

11. Ugh. I don't even know what to say. The modern day republican is just so revolting.

Posted by: Damien | Sep 22, 2011 11:12:41 PM

12. I was watching and couldn't believe what I was hearing. I found this more disturbing than when the Repugs applauded Rick Perry's execution record. Thank you Stephen Hill for your service and your coming out.

Posted by: Stephen | Sep 22, 2011 11:18:20 PM

13. Well, he is probably speaking from his extensive experience in the military, him being a decorated combat veteran, and all

Posted by: Rin | Sep 22, 2011 11:20:50 PM

14. No, Santorum, you disgusting piece of GOPer crap, it's your f**cking party that's playing social experimentation with this nation. You people are beyond disgusting. You're nothing but trash deserving to be expelled from humanity. Go to Hell!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Sep 22, 2011 11:21:58 PM

15. The soldier who asked the question is more of a man than Santorum will ever be.

Disgusting what the Fox News audience did. Show respect people.

Posted by: Kenton | Sep 22, 2011 11:24:11 PM

16. Unbelievable!

Posted by: keith | Sep 22, 2011 11:28:07 PM

17. One of those people will be the next president since Obama won't be reelected. Now we know what the future will be like.

Posted by: Jay | Sep 22, 2011 11:30:03 PM

18. Well we'll always have the new definition of that turd's name. He's batshit crazy. U all know he brought his wife's miscarried fetus home from the hospital. Named it. Introduced it to its "brothers and sister" and slept with it in their bed overnight before burying it. I swear its true. Look it up.

Posted by: andy | Sep 22, 2011 11:32:08 PM

19. Thanks Andy for sharing that...that won't cause me to have nightmares or anything.

Posted by: Rin | Sep 22, 2011 11:34:07 PM

20. Yet once again the silence from "Snow White" and her seven dwarves was deafening in response to the disgraceful conduct of members of the audience. Booing a soldier serving in Iraq just because he's gay? That's perverse.

Posted by: kyle Michel Sullivan | Sep 22, 2011 11:40:15 PM

21. Well I'm glad that we are all adults.. and able to pick our battles...since this is the most important issue in America right now..

Posted by: zack | Sep 22, 2011 11:40:47 PM

22. Lost in the controversy about the crowd's reaction was Santorum's statement that soldiers should "keep it to yourself whether you're heterosexual or homosexual," which means he would impose DADT on straights too. This is a brilliant new idea. Kick 'em out if they come out as heterosexual! I say we give it a try.

Posted by: Will G | Sep 22, 2011 11:46:27 PM

23. Come on, there were like three people booing. When santorum received the applause and the camera cut to the audience, I didn't see anyone clapping. Did anyone else find this strange"?

Posted by: Scott | Sep 22, 2011 11:52:29 PM

24. I wonder how many of those "patriotic" Americans that booed this soldier would trade places with him? I'd bet my life on it that not one of them would they are all cowards of the worst sort. I wouldn't piss on any of them if they were on fire. It would be really interesting to see what would have happened if there were some iraq/afgan vets in the room.

Posted by: Akula | Sep 23, 2011 12:04:12 AM

25. It's odd, when the audience is applauding, the shot shows people just sitting there. see 0:58 to 1:03.

Posted by: John Ozed | Sep 23, 2011 12:05:42 AM