New York | News | Nightlife

NYC's Former Limelight Nightclub is Becoming an IHOP

Limelight_IHOP

New York's famed former Limelight nightclub is becoming an International House of Pancakes.

The Real Deal writes:

Retail broker Gene Spiegelman, an executive director at Cushman & Wakefield, said IHOP should thrive in New York City as Chock Full o'Nuts and fast-food chain Nedick's once did.

"I can see the value of putting a 24-hour, seven-day, value-priced restaurant near subways, near schools. I think the location at Sixth [Avenue] and 20th [Street] is a great location," but, Spiegelman added, "The real estate is odd [because] the physical nature of the building is not traditional for an IHOP."

The old Limelight is the subject of a new documentary from Magnolia Pictures.

Check out the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Limelight

Comments

1. The stripmalling of the American soul continues. Do we need any more proof that NYC is a shadow of its former decadent and creative self? Sad.

Posted by: matt | Oct 11, 2011 8:37:38 PM

2. I f***ing love pancakes, but this is absolutely shameful.

Posted by: Top to Bottom | Oct 11, 2011 8:45:37 PM

3. A teabagger's dream! The perfect marriage of church and corporation - and no gay people!

Posted by: Trev | Oct 11, 2011 8:49:34 PM

4. Soon enough, NYC will be indistinguishable from every other monotonous suburb in America.

Posted by: sue ellen | Oct 11, 2011 8:52:46 PM

5. Sad.

Posted by: Max | Oct 11, 2011 9:04:50 PM

6. This is making me sick to my stomach. Is nothing sacred? Pun intended.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Oct 11, 2011 9:10:07 PM

7. Trev,
    don't forget the third partner in that marriage. Carbohydrates! (and fat...) Most tea partiers I've seen could afford to lose a few scores of pounds.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | Oct 11, 2011 9:12:11 PM

8. I thought the old limelight was turned into a retail space, with some cool shops inside.... even if this is the case, it is nothing new in the big apple...

still can remember the shock when i saw an old navy for the first time in Soho, on Broadway.... there used to be a Caribbean market there...... and look no further than time square, which is like a long lost piece of the midwest (the waist)....

Posted by: V-8 | Oct 11, 2011 10:21:21 PM

9. I remember doing coke off the tables in the back bar area in the 1980s.....ah, those were the days!

Posted by: Steve | Oct 11, 2011 11:12:01 PM

10. I was at Limelight for opening night as my closest friend was the "party manager" for the club. A fascinating mix of gay and straight, and it was fun (while it lasted). I remember talking that night to Liz Smith and Randy Jones, not at the same time :-).

Posted by: Jim | Oct 11, 2011 11:16:04 PM

11. So much history and memories...

Posted by: Rex | Oct 11, 2011 11:22:10 PM

12. The party in NYC has been dead for three decades now. Fuckin' scumbag Giuliani.

Posted by: dh | Oct 12, 2011 12:22:31 AM

13. While I have never been to the Limelight, I have certainly been to my fair share of gay night clubs in NYC and beyond. And as a Nurse Practitioner who has worked in Emergency and Critical Care settings for the past 11 years, I have seen the very ugly side of the use of club drugs in countless patients over the years. I used to love going out to dance the night away and listen to some great music in my single days. But I never touched a drug and am grateful for that. While the commercialization of an iconic building is concerning; the notion that law enforcement should shy away from social gathering locations where drugs are taken like candy is foolish. Watching young men (and women) die from drug overdoses has been an unpleasant aspect of my career that I would love to see come to an end. Defending these establishments which are nothing but havens for ridiculous amounts of drub abuse is both misguided and detrimental to our community.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Oct 12, 2011 1:14:02 AM

14. I spent many nights on drugs and alcohol visiting this establishment and I don't regret one bit of it.Regular people became stars as Club Kids, and the way people partied was amazing. However just like studio 54 or the roxy all things in club life come to an end. That was an awesome time, but I don't do drugs anymore. I just came to a point in my life to say to myself "the party is over, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here." So I moved back to Chicago. Ahh good times they were indeed. Miss you lime light. BTW I love IHOP but I hate that it will be there, just sentimental feelings I guess.

Posted by: KEN | Oct 12, 2011 1:41:29 AM

15. @DrChristopherBlackwell remind me not to invite you to my next party. talk about a buzzkill. :(

Posted by: ynot | Oct 12, 2011 2:26:28 AM

16. Where am I going to get my Italian salami sandwich now after the gym?

Posted by: O HERRO | Oct 12, 2011 5:34:46 AM

17. @ O Herro - at Eyetalian at 24th & Bwy.

I remember when the building was the Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion and was closed by the bishop.

Some things are just so--strange...

Posted by: Danny | Oct 12, 2011 7:27:33 AM

18. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. I hate IHOP and their Christian meddling. Pancakes for Jesus. Fat and stupid. I love Amerikkka.

Posted by: zv | Oct 12, 2011 8:16:01 AM

19. In the day-they had the best advertisements-
    The Limelight-A Blessing in Disguise.

The world needs another IHOP; the character of NYC continues to fade into the hideous sameness that is Amerikkkka.

Posted by: nick | Oct 12, 2011 8:25:23 AM

20. absolutely no way this is real

Posted by: Joseph Klock | Oct 12, 2011 8:31:16 AM

21. I once had a Grand Slam Breakfast in one of the rooms at the Limelight back in 1989, but I suppose it was a different, sort of, "kind" of Slam than IHOP will be serving.

Posted by: michael | Oct 12, 2011 9:03:48 AM

22. Why would they turn it into an IHOP when they just turned it into an ugly shopping market? But hey whatever it is as long as they keep the exterior structure it's better than a new IHOP being built on that corner.

Posted by: NHbrooklyn | Oct 12, 2011 10:56:48 AM

23. I'm not clear on that either, NHBROOKLYN, I was under the impression that the Limelight shops were doing a brisk business? Perhaps this IHOP is to be in addition to the shops? It doesn't really seem to fit with their "upscale" image.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 12, 2011 11:12:56 AM

24. May Ben Ashcannazi choke on a link sausage for doing this.

Posted by: Your Mom | Oct 12, 2011 12:30:37 PM

25. Oh, the irony is that nightclubs are in decline because people are too fat to dance! IHOPS are killing nightclubs even when they don't take over their space.

Posted by: anon | Oct 12, 2011 3:00:06 PM