"Ex-Gays"

Michele Bachmann's Friend Claims She's No Longer a Lesbian

Boynes Janet Boynes used to be a lesbian. No longer! She's over that now. The before-and-after pictures prove it. And she's helping others get over their homosexuality at Janet Boynes Ministries.

Interviewed on a radio show, Boynes was more than happy to talk about her past drug and alcohol addictions, her failed engagement to a man, and her painful experiences with rape. But don't ask her if she's friends with Michele and Marcus Bachmann - because that's personal.

"You know, if you have a question for Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, I think you need to contact her. Anything about Michele Bachmann or Marcus Bachmann has nothing to do with my ministry. That's my personal life and we're not talking about my personal life. Anything dealing with my personal life, I choose not to talk about."

Then she gets personal:

"There are certain things I believe the propel us to go into a life of homosexuality, just like any other type of addiction that we have a tendency for going into. I was raised in a family of seven kids and had four different fathers. The man that my mother married, who was not my father, molested me and then I was molested by an altar boy. I never felt that men treated me right. I watched my mother be abused by my step-father."

She says statistics show that 90% of lesbians were molested, so she thinks they chose to give up men.

"We make a choice to either become heterosexual or homosexual. You don't come out of your mother's womb as an addict or a pedophile, you make a choice to do that, right?"

Rest assured: Boynes say she has nothing against the gay community. She loves gay people. That's why she "helps" them.

Comments

1. I can do very well without her kind of "help," thank you very much.

Posted by: Rick56 | Oct 8, 2011 7:58:39 PM

2. Boynes say she has nothing against the gay community. She loves gay people. That's why she "helps" them.

Hysterical (Histrionic) prejudice interprets the hated individuals as "other, as inferior, and as sexually threatening". Racism is the best example of hysterical prejudice.

Obsessional (Malcontent) prejudice, by her definition, sees its objects as omnipresent conspirators or enemies set on one's destruction, who therefore must be eliminated.

Narcissistic prejudice "cannot tolerate the idea that there exist people who are not like them". She argues that homophobia alone fits all these categories, and this might help account for its persistence and prevalence.
    --Vannessa Baird, The No-Nonsense Guide to Sexual Diversity, pg 72

Posted by: I'm Layla Miller I Know Stuff | Oct 8, 2011 8:07:53 PM

3. A wig and a dress does not make you a straight woman - it makes you a drag queen. That is all.

Posted by: Guy Johnson | Oct 8, 2011 8:14:00 PM

4. She just proved she's still gay by pulling that statistic out of her ass.

Posted by: joe c | Oct 8, 2011 8:14:19 PM

5. well i guess that´s for lesbians because i was never molested or touched by anyone and im a happy queer since my birth!!!!!

Posted by: kristian | Oct 8, 2011 8:16:21 PM

6. She is very clearly bisexual and all but admits so in her book when she repeatedly says that she was attracted to both men and women.

GoodAsYou did a good expose on her book. She basically had a really screwed up childhood with an abusive, religious mother. Her relationships were also somewhat dysfunctional and anything but harmonious. Drugs were involved. It's really no wonder that her experiences pushed her into extremist religions. Her sexuality is only a small part of it.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 8, 2011 8:31:31 PM

7. Guy Johnson nails it!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 8, 2011 8:46:31 PM

8. "Anything about Michele Bachmann or Marcus Bachmann has nothing to do with my ministry." Really, they have never given any money, referred people, supported or in any way assisted her ministry? Michele must not be a very good friend.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Oct 8, 2011 9:00:07 PM

9. Correction, one "L" in Michele. Because she's that special.

Posted by: Karl | Oct 8, 2011 9:44:32 PM

10. I feel sad that Ms Boynes has had such a miserable life. That didn't cause her homosexuality, nature did. My sister is a lesbian. We grew up in a solid family. One loving dad and mom. She was never molested. She was loved by dad and mom.From pre school days she was a little "tom boy"and she grew up to become the adult lesbian that nature intended her to be.

Posted by: John Leddy | Oct 8, 2011 9:54:39 PM

11. I feel sad that Ms Boynes has had such a miserable life. That didn't cause her homosexuality, nature did. My sister is a lesbian. We grew up in a solid family. One loving dad and mom. She was never molested. She was loved by dad and mom.From pre school days she was a little "tom boy"and she grew up to become the adult lesbian that nature intended her to be.

Posted by: John Leddy | Oct 8, 2011 9:54:39 PM

12. She can barely maneuver her way through the English language and she wrote a book? Boy, America really is the place where dreams come true.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Oct 8, 2011 9:58:44 PM

13. addict, alcoholic, pedophile, or homo... so, those are my choices, eh, Michelle?

Well, I'm gonna have to "choose" homo.

Rather than administering counseling, dear, perhaps you should be seeking it.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Oct 8, 2011 10:04:51 PM

14. and if you add another 's' to her name, it becomes "Boy-ness"

Funny, huh? :)

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Oct 8, 2011 10:07:07 PM

15. Her second picture doesn't look a bit straight to me. She looks like just another lipstick lesbian.

What was that thing my mom used to say about earrings on pigs?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 8, 2011 10:43:34 PM

16. This woman was featured in the OWN series Our America (Pray the Gay Away?) episode. It was sickening and infuriating watching her convince this young impressionable gay guy that all his problems were a result of his "gay lifestyle". Helping him "change", etc. It's one thing if you want that for yourself; but when you influence others, especially young people you are despicable scum!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 8, 2011 10:49:06 PM

17. Wanting more money by setting up a ministry? What a surprise!

Posted by: sylvatica | Oct 8, 2011 10:58:51 PM

18. She looked like a dude, before; now, she looks like a dude in drag.

Posted by: Your Mom | Oct 8, 2011 11:33:50 PM

19. Ever notice that every "ex-gay" in the media is selling something?

Posted by: chrissy | Oct 9, 2011 12:29:35 AM

20. What are this semi-lesbian's credentials that she knows what makes someone gay or straight? Oh that's right, she doesn't have any. She's an uneducated woman who hated men so badly that she sought refuge with women. So following her thinking, everyone, yes every gay person must be exactly like her.

I can see why she's a friend of the Bachmanns. And I can see that she has a "ministry" that she's hawking trying to bilk people out of their money.

By her own admissions she's an abused woman who loathes herself and what has happened to her. She thinks all of us must. But we don't. Most gay people I know are pretty happy and far more well adjusted, normal, credible and self-loving that almost everyone of the sad men and women running for the Republican nomination for President.

We need to stop giving non-expert, daffy, and self-hating people any press. Here or anywhere else. Has anyone ever even heard of this woman? Ever? She's a nonentity and inconsequential. Leave her that way, please...she's just trying to steal money from people. Why give her creedence or space on this blog?

Posted by: Bart | Oct 9, 2011 1:49:04 AM

21. There is such a cognitive dissonance here. The irony: the recruiting gays are equated to pedophiles through her logic like so many other phobes do, at the same time, it's heterosexual men who are the pedophiles causing girls to go gay.

And by her "logic," gay men and heterosexual women who are survivors of sexual assault by men should suddenly be attracted to women. I like Layla's post. It explains the insanity.

Posted by: Petticoat Player | Oct 9, 2011 5:33:43 AM

22. Seems to me that she was never a lesbian, she was always bi and has decided to shove part of herself in to the closet. That's fine. I could not care less who she is romantically involved with.

However, after 20 or so years out and talking to hundreds upon hundreds of other gay women (we talk, we talk about EVERYTHING) I know that her statistic is BS. And on behalf of my father and every other positive male influence in my life, might I invite her to cram her asinine beliefs right up her firmament.

I WAS born this way, and I CHOOSE to live an authentic life. I don't do fear. I don't let others tell me what I feel or why. Those of us who do not cower in terror of bronze age sky djinns do not need her "help." And what a surprise that she has a ministry, no doubt she solicits "donations" to help her with her battle against LGBT who aren't craven and aren't so deep in the closet that they can see Narnia.

Posted by: Vky | Oct 9, 2011 7:17:17 AM

23. 90% of lesbians were molested? Really? Where's the factual evidence for that?

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Oct 9, 2011 8:31:50 AM

24. I think Michelle Bachmann's friend is confusing orientation with behavior. Orientation is automatic and cannot be chosen. Behavior, however, can be moderated and changed according to conscious decisions.

I would say to this friend of Michelle's that your orientation has not changed desipte the conscious decision you've made to behave in a non-homosexual fashion.

Posted by: jason | Oct 9, 2011 8:50:58 AM

25. "You don't come out of your mother's womb as an addict or a pedophile, you make a choice to do that, right?"

Wrong! I KNOW she's heard about crack babies. These children are born addicted to crack and most certainly DID NOT make a choice.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Oct 9, 2011 9:40:54 AM