Herman Cain | Rick Perry | The View

The Ladies of 'The View' Wrangle with the N-Word: VIDEO

Nword

The ladies of The View come to an understanding of why the controversy about the sign on Rick Perry's ranch is something they're discussing.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Sherri Shepherd has taken Elizabeth's former crown of ignorance and firmly placed it on her head. Elizabeth actually has shifted into quite a mature and level headed role on that show.

Posted by: phillip | Oct 4, 2011 8:55:37 AM

2. I find the word offensive and I understand why it is offensive. I choose not to use the word.

But when adults - at least one of whom is a journalist - are having a roundtable discussion about the usage and effect of the word, I find it offensive that some people can use the word and some cannot based upon the colour of their skin. If the word is so offensive then it should be retired to the same corner as all the other words that are not used in civil discourse.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Oct 4, 2011 10:07:19 AM

3. What a fool, I hope Barbara let her know afterwards. The word is bad, no matter what color skin you are but to basically say that Barbara was using the word to offend someone is just ridiculous. Sherri has a chip on those huge shoulders of hers.

Posted by: James | Oct 4, 2011 10:22:08 AM

4. We should look on "f-----" the same way. We don't like hearing straight people say it. Let's stop saying it ourselves.

Posted by: Jack | Oct 4, 2011 10:57:08 AM

5. I actually understand where Shari is coming from. I can call my gay friends Fag, because I'm also a fag. But if a (presumably straight) tourist on the street of NY calls me fag, I'd be horrendously offended.

But this discussion also makes me second-guess my acceptance of the word within my own circle. If it's a "bad" word, maybe it should be retired to the past and never used, even within my own circle. I don't know. I'm still on the fence about this. I thought that was a very compelling discussion that they had on the View. I see both sides of the story.

Posted by: mrmnyc | Oct 4, 2011 10:58:43 AM

6. Well, I am both a 'N---er' and a 'F----t' and I personally try not to use either word, as I am only offending myself, in a sense. And, I understand Sherri's feeling that it's hurtful when a white person uses the word; its just more loaded when a white person says it, like it or not. Words in and of themselves are neither good or bad, but its the person using the word and context.

In this case I actually had little problem with Walters using it because she's reporting on the actual word, NOT calling someone the word. That's a difference to me. Does it sound OK coming from her? No. But I get the context and her using it.

Posted by: princely54 | Oct 4, 2011 11:14:15 AM

7. I'm sorry, but if you can't say the F, or N word when having a clinical discussion of them, you are giving them too much power. One of the main reasons they have any power at all, nowdays, is because they are taboo. Just say it, don't give it religious significance like YHWH.

Posted by: Nate | Oct 4, 2011 11:20:04 AM

8. I understand Sherri's POV. "Faggot" coming from a gay person versus coming from a straight person feels different to me, even if the intention is not to offend.

Posted by: Trust | Oct 4, 2011 12:15:19 PM

9. I really don't get the comments that I'm reading here that say that they understand where Sherri Shepherd is coming from because of a similar reaction they have to a straight person saying "faggot." Yeah... a straight person just using the word in conversation, or calling someone that, is totally unacceptable (or a gay person, in my opinion. I don't use the word myself and I'm offended when other gay people do). And yes, it's the same. But Barbara Walters was NOT just randomly using the word and, incidentally, would NEVER use that word in any context other than a news story. Is Shepherd suggesting that Barbara should have said "N-word head?" Or that she should have given the story to Whoopi or Sherri to read instead? Ridiculous. Personally I think it's unbelievably silly sounding and juvenile when a news reporter says "N word" or "F word."

Posted by: Zell | Oct 4, 2011 12:37:25 PM

10. I'm on the fence here, too.I don't use the n-word- and being in an interracial relationship, I thought it would make me extra-sensitive about race issues, but my bf and I rarely discuss it. I understand Sherri's point of view, though I don't like anyone saying it- black or white, and my bf respects that. If he uses it with friends, I don't blow up though, cuz he cab cuz he is black- and I agree with Whoopi, too- it can take the sting out of it- like f-----. I use it with friends, but I've had it yelled and spat in my face enough to hate it when anyone other than a gay person uses it. I think context really does matter- and the only context acceptable if those words are going to be said is if they are used by that group of people. Still, they're both horrible words.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 4, 2011 1:26:28 PM

11. i think what it comes down to, is if you are comfortable in your own skin. ya dig?

a complete stranger can call me what ever they want---the nice thing is that I don't care, since I like me.

You give people that power in the first place, then they are totally going to use it against you.

Posted by: so what | Oct 4, 2011 2:21:09 PM

12. This is not a debate on whether or not it's appropriate for anyone to call anyone anything. Nobody called anybody "the N-word," it was a NEWS STORY.

Posted by: Zell | Oct 4, 2011 6:09:00 PM

13. i never watch this show, always avoid it. cannot stand joy behar...she thinks she is sooooo intellegent....larry king used to have her as a guest every time there was some national issue, as though she had the answers to the problem...she doesn't know anything more than dumb me does, lol!

Posted by: RAD334 | Oct 4, 2011 6:48:38 PM