News | Wal-Mart

Woman Uses Pepper Spray on Rival Wal-Mart Shoppers as Crowds Riot for $2 Waffle Irons: VIDEO

Just another Black Friday in America.

The riots have begun:

WaffleironIn Porter Ranch, a woman pepper sprayed customers at a Wal-Mart in what authorities say was a deliberate attempt to get more "door buster" merchandise. In San Leandro, a Wal-Mart shopper walking to his car was shot and wounded in a suspected robbery early Friday...

...At Porter Ranch, 20 customers, including children, were hurt in the 10:10 p.m. incident, officials said. Shoppers complained of minor skin and eye irritation and sore throats.

"This was customer-versus-customer 'shopping rage,'" said Los Angeles Police Lt. Abel Parga.

The woman used the spray in more than one area of the Wal-Mart "to gain preferred access to a variety of locations in the store," said Los Angeles Fire Capt. James Carson.

"She was competitive shopping," he said.

Check out the riot over a $2 waffle iron at Wal-Mart.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's video of the alleged pepper-spray melee:

Comments

1. A $2 waffle maker?

Posted by: Fred | Nov 25, 2011 1:39:05 PM

2. I saw the ad in my paper. It was $2.96. Just a loss leader to get large crowds in the stores to inevitably by other things while they are there.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 25, 2011 1:44:34 PM

3. L.A. nut jobs! We're much more civilized here in the The City (SF).;-) Husband has taken 4YO son downtown via cable car for shopping and lunch.(Ding ding! Son loves it! Conductor holds him up to ring the bell!)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 25, 2011 1:45:48 PM

4. The caption for the waffle iron riot should be: "Proof that Darwin was right".

Seriously, they should rename it to "Lizard Brain Friday"

Posted by: Azgaard | Nov 25, 2011 2:04:07 PM

5. If Jesus was still in his grave, I'm pretty sure he'd be rolling in it.

Posted by: John | Nov 25, 2011 2:07:58 PM

6. And people wonder why I am a Scrooge!

Posted by: John | Nov 25, 2011 2:16:44 PM

7. Is it really that serious? A damn waffle iron. I mean I got my flat screen at midnight but I did so without assaulting anyone.

Posted by: new-new | Nov 25, 2011 2:17:39 PM

8. I normally don't regard myself as an anti-consumerist, but watching this ongoing debacle is more than a little nauseating.

Still, I wonder how many people from the Occupy movement were rolling into stores to take advantage of the deals.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 25, 2011 2:21:41 PM

9. I am not going to paint all Wal-Mart shoppers as knuckle-draggers, but it is interesting to me that every year, so many of these incidents to happen because of or to Wal-Mart shoppers. People, have some freakin' class and dignity for Christ's sake (literally!). My guy and my dad and I are having a quiet day at home for a few (did a family breakfast this morning), before seeing "Hugo" and having dinner somewhere. No shopping, no hysteria.

Posted by: Dback | Nov 25, 2011 2:28:30 PM

10. I work at a New Jersey grocery store (the nicest one in the area, supposedly). The customers are nasty, the management drools over the slutty teenage girls that work there and the male employees are a bunch of pot heads. Ahhh retail.

Posted by: Yuck! | Nov 25, 2011 2:37:33 PM

11. I stayed my happy ass home!..this is just insane!

Posted by: FreddyMertz | Nov 25, 2011 2:44:19 PM

12. The first video is just another living proof that women like shopping.

Posted by: simon | Nov 25, 2011 2:57:03 PM

13. Well, at least no one died in a human stampede this year like that other Black Friday. (And boy is it sad that I even had to utter that sentence!)

Honestly...I always sleep in past noon on the day after Thanksgiving, so I don't get how people are even awake in time for the "Get your $2 waffle & get shot in the face or stampeded to death" Black Friday events. :-)

Posted by: redball | Nov 25, 2011 3:24:45 PM

14. The note about spraying in different locations to get preferred access is not reported in some of the other online versions I read earlier today. At least a couple suggested she was angry about other people trying to cut lines and/or protecting her children. Whatever version is most accurate--she participated in a trashy spectacle and stood out from the herd. When will she be invited to do a spot on ET?

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 25, 2011 3:25:20 PM

15. oh wow so this particular black "friday" sale started at 10pm *thursday* night?? lol. ummm ok....

Posted by: redball | Nov 25, 2011 3:35:03 PM

16. Incidents such as these are sad and shameful for the world-view of our country. Just 24 hours after we are supposed to give thanks and show compassion for those in need, all of this comes to surface from the Capitalist mania the public is worked into by Big Business. I wrote an article about the true meaning behind our holiday and a warning about our national disgrace which is Black Friday at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2010/11/wishing-you-and-yours-bountiful-harvest.html

Posted by: Brandt Hardin | Nov 25, 2011 3:41:46 PM

17. Blah, screw that mess.

I stayed home set the lawnmower to mulch and just rolled on over all the leaves . :-P The easy/ lazy way to do it while making organic fertilizer for the greenest lawn in the neighborhood

Would have only been better if I had had a beer while doing it

Posted by: say what | Nov 25, 2011 4:05:15 PM

18. There are no words to describe the woman who pepper sprayed the other shoppers....at least none I could use without getting kicked off this board.

Posted by: Carlos | Nov 25, 2011 5:06:07 PM

19. People are willing to kill each other over waffle irons ?!

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 25, 2011 5:30:10 PM

20. L.A. police are nut jobs.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Nov 25, 2011 5:33:49 PM

21. Why the heck did Fanny McButt Crack need with 5 waffle irons in he first video?

Posted by: PilateError | Nov 25, 2011 5:33:50 PM

22. "(And before the PC-types start lecturing me about being "anti-poor" or "elitist" etc., I'd like re-emphasize: this is not about socio-economic class. This is about how Wal-Mart, with its relentless Black Friday marketing, attracts and almost encourages a certain ruthlessness and self-centered mentality in many of its shoppers.)"

I see no reason not to focus some attention on wrongness, regardless of the wrongdoers' socioeconomic status.

This was the essential flaw with OWS's anti-capitalist screed: a good percentage of the public are self-absorbed animals who do not hesitate to step on another person's throat to get ahead. We witness people willing to kill each other over $3 worth of plastic; they're not going to be revolting any time soon.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 25, 2011 5:37:41 PM

23. One day America will become a developed country. Ok, ok, I said "one day", I didn't specified when.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Nov 25, 2011 6:33:05 PM

24. The Waltons are looking down their noses at these troglodytes and laughing all the way to be bank, all at the same time...

Posted by: Pedro | Nov 25, 2011 7:00:03 PM

25. And these idiots have the right to vote, and scarier yet, procreate...what an awful future for our country.

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Nov 25, 2011 7:19:41 PM